2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
The sun mate. You can have some, we haven't had much rain in the last couple of months.
We've had the opposite down here. Not that I'm really complaining. Seems like Melbourne weathers been returning to the 'norm' the last few years. Atleast the rain slowed up progress on the desal plant so a mate of mine could keep collecting his big fat paycheck for holding up a shovel. <_<

@Jurt. Careful using gravel as that can prevent good drainage too. I've used 100mm river stones with success but the best solution is quality potting mix IMO.

Camo6 said:
We've had the opposite down here. Not that I'm really complaining. Seems like Melbourne weathers been returning to the 'norm' the last few years. Atleast the rain slowed up progress on the desal plant so a mate of mine could keep collecting his big fat paycheck for holding up a shovel. <_<

@Jurt. Careful using gravel as that can prevent good drainage too. I've used 100mm river stones with success but the best solution is quality potting mix IMO.
When I replant I'll be losing as much of the old mix as possible and putting a bag or two of the good stuff in.

Cheers for the heads up with the gravel, I might not need it if I can find a good balanced mix, got some of that osmocote premium veggie stuff for some capsicum plants I moved and staked yesterday, so if that seems good I'll just grab more of that!

I just took this photo of the sky for you Camo6, hope it helps.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1383977316.018059.jpg

Pride of Ringwood 11-11-2013 plus Cascade shoots. 004.jpg

My 3rd year Pride Of Ringwood is doing the best at the moment at a height of about 2 and 1/2 metres. I have it growing on 6 bamboo poles, with roughly 5 or 6 bines trained to each pole. It has been pushing out burrs for the last couple of weeks. Photos were taken on the 11th of November 2013 in the afternoon. :)

Pride of Ringwood 11-11-2013 plus Cascade shoots. 006.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if every hop plant in Melbourne yelled "**** this!" and shrivelled back into the ground with the shitty return to winter we've been having down here this week...

Aah.. Dwarf POR!! So glad somebody has FINALLY bred one..

Techo, first year? Just developing roots probably, we are still at the start of the season mate, patience..

Techo, first year? Just developing roots probably, we are still at the start of the season mate, patience..

Yep. First year. I'm hoping its rooting like crazy.
Trying to be patient.
I want flowers now, godammit!!

Nah not dwarf POR Yob. If we were going on current height, yours would be extra dwarf. :lol:

Hi guys im new here
I have got a few hop plants growing i have 10
Varietys
So here are a few pics i took of some of them
Hope the pics work out
Cheers mick
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 29
Thanks yob
We have a our own portable saw mill
So just a bit of pine i had lying around the boxes
Are about 100lt capacity
And i got onto a local spud grower who grows seed
Potatoes in a polyhouse and they use potting mix
So got a pallet load and a big spud box full
I think its about 3 metres worth

nice one.
I forgot to label mine.

gonna be interesting.

How jealous am I?
Living in Darwin I'm just a little way out of the zone from grow my own.!!
These look the business though.

Fire1aus said:
Thanks yob
We have a our own portable saw mill
So just a bit of pine i had lying around the boxes
Are about 100lt capacity
And i got onto a local spud grower who grows seed
Potatoes in a polyhouse and they use potting mix
So got a pallet load and a big spud box full
I think its about 3 metres worth

I reckon you could sell those boxes. They could be lined with the plastic bin liners that fruit farmers use, they are tough plastic, come on a roll and are about 1M x 1M x 1M. Punch a few drainage holes in the bottom and that would sell locally for you for the Vic hops guys at least. Be god for raised vegie beds too, sell direct to local nurserys.

Most of my hops have really started to bolt this past week. Its probably the time of year, but I suspect the liquid fertilizer I used recently may have something to do with it also.
In other news, I notice some severe hail in the news, mostly in S.E. Queensland. Has anyone's hop yard been hammered last couple of days?

Back