2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a cascade rhizome I planted earlier last week..

What sort of fertiliser do you guys use? I've got some miracle grow for some other veg and fruits I've got going at the moment.. Going to put some mulch on later in the week to avoid the drying out..

image.jpg

Smurto swears by Cow manure in winter, from memory he does most of his fertilizing over winter as a mulch, a good liquid fertilizer that is easily available to plants wont hurt.

Yob said:
Chinook is usually late to show but a strong finisher, least in Vic and my yard anyway
Same in my part of South Australia.

Mine are going in on the weekend. A bit later than I intended, got some good compost and a nice sunny spot ready to go.

yum beer said:
There good hoppy, they had some small shoots on them when I transplanted into their new spot.
Very happy with the results from your zhomes.
Cheers buddy.
Small shoots = small bines? Did you get the dwarf variety?

Only time will tell.....Dwarf Saaz...for making small pilsners....

The 'dwarf' cluster has probably grown faster than any of the others.

I have one of hoppy2b's clusters that I planted last year. It didn't produce much last season, only a few dozen cones, but hoping for better things this year.

Actually, last year I planted all my rhizomes out but didn't get around to building the trellis until later in the season and by that stage they had nothing to grow on and a balled up, tangling themselves together. This year I'm much better prepared. The Golding is about to start climbing.

Seasol is more like a growth stimulant. It's v good for encouraging plants.

Something like Nitrosol is a liquid fertillizer (Has a more significant level of nitrogen, phosphorous, etc in it); but there's several different brands/types.

I use a combo of these 2 (every 2-4 weeks during spring/summer) plus basic organics (dynamic lifter + blood&bone, scattered over the top every couple of months) as well as digging in cow poo, mushroom compost & regular compost.
It's a bit over the top, but all of my herbs & fruit trees went crazy last year. It sounds like the good Doctor does something similar. I kinda see it as providing short, medium & long term food, and supplying a full spectrum of nutrients.
I'd admit this is my first year growing hops, though, so i'm hoping the same regime suits hops also.

My two cascade plants that Yob kindly sent my way have popped.

First year of growing hops for me and I am just starting with the two, but I am excited about my little babies :)

Hop1.jpg

Hop2.jpg

I just finished my hop trellis. I'm happy with it!

Hops are a bit close perhaps. This year is a bit of an experiment for my first year with hops.

Hop Trellis.jpeg

I cant fix the rotation on this Samsung Tab so you just going to have to view it side ways!

wide eyed and legless said:
Anyone ever cloned a hop plant ? Should imagine its no harder than cloning its closest relative, and that would make plenty of plants.
Any time you buy a rhizome it's essentially a clone of the mother plant. It's a piece of the mother plant which grows on its own when broken off.

You can also clone them as you might, say, the cousin.

Mardoo said:
Any time you buy a rhizome it's essentially a clone of the mother plant. It's a piece of the mother plant which grows on its own when broken off.

You can also clone them as you might, say, the cousin.
Then I shall be giving it a go, and try to clone as its cousin.

Had a book when i was a young fella that reckoned you could graft the two. MJ rootstock with a hopsses shoot.

punkin said:
Had a book when i was a young fella that reckoned you could graft the two. MJ rootstock with a hopsses shoot.
Yes I have been doing a bit of reading up,and I did see an article on grafting to that particular root stock, also interesting reading on hydroponically grown hops.

wide eyed and legless said:
Then I shall be giving it a go, and try to clone as its cousin.
I imagine you'll have to raise the rooms ceiling by about 4 metres though. Might make the neighbours a bit suss. :ph34r:

Camo6 said:
I imagine you'll have to raise the rooms ceiling by about 4 metres though. Might make the neighbours a bit suss. :ph34r:
No I have a large green house, on the south side I have a conifer I was thinking of training them out of the top of the greenhouse and up the tree, just have to work out out to harvest them.
I have seen them wild and once they start to climb they just keep going.

Back