2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got time yesterday to add the string section to the backyard. The missus doesn't appreciate the shade these babies will bring to the kitchen. Surely she realises I'm trying to make her chores more bearable.
20130915_082529.jpg

The Goldings has decided it doesn't want to grow anywhere near the centre of the pot:
20130915_092107.jpg

Cascade going great guns. Hope to get a lot more off it this year:
20130915_092117.jpg

And the turbocharged Chinook. A bit of initial lag but then overtakes them all:
20130915_092131.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
No I have a large green house, on the south side I have a conifer I was thinking of training them out of the top of the greenhouse and up the tree, just have to work out out to harvest them.
I have seen them wild and once they start to climb they just keep going.
Sounds good. Be sure to post some pics.

punkin said:
Had a book when i was a young fella that reckoned you could graft the two. MJ rootstock with a hopsses shoot.
Supposedly to produce THC but in a different looking plant that doesn't attract too much attention. Read somewhere on the net that someone tried it and reckons all you get is hops. :lol:

Camo6 said:
Got time yesterday to add the string section to the backyard. The missus doesn't appreciate the shade these babies will bring to the kitchen. Surely she realises I'm trying to make her chores more bearable.
attachicon.gif
20130915_082529.jpg

The Goldings has decided it doesn't want to grow anywhere near the centre of the pot:
attachicon.gif
20130915_092107.jpg

Cascade going great guns. Hope to get a lot more off it this year:
attachicon.gif
20130915_092117.jpg

And the turbocharged Chinook. A bit of initial lag but then overtakes them all:
attachicon.gif
20130915_092131.jpg
You most likely know what you're doing, but the last time I used those kind of 'natural' fibers as runners, they rotted and I had a couple break.
From now on, it's synthetic cord all the way for me baby.

Last year I used sisal clothesline which has a bit of nylon spliced in but I bought plain sisal cord this time (I cheaped out in other words). I'm not too worried if it rots at the base as the bines will hold it together as long as the tops dont break! I like the natural fibres as they give more to grip too and can go straight into the compost. We'll see how it goes.

I like sisal also, for the same reasons. No rotting issues last year, although they are largely under the eaves of the house.

The Cascade and Goldings have reached the top...it turned out to be a photo finish between them.

Fuggles is half way there. It got very sulky last year after I made it grow sideways. Should get a few cones off it this year though, enough for one big aroma addition in an oatmeal ESB hopefully.

Danwood, they are pumping for this early in the season. You should get a good haul of flowers (barring severe weather).

Cheers mate. Did well off the Cascade last year, nothing from Goldings or Fuggles.

These are all second year plants now, so hopefully I'll get a few cones this season.

I've avoided all rotting issues this year with 2.5mm stainless balustrading wire. They seem to be keen to grip it, and if they slide down, well it will save me lowering them as they reach the top :lol:

hops4.jpg

You can never have enough stainless. Noice.

G'day all, have 9 varities in and eleven plants in total. Will post as they emerge a little more. Have some posts in already where i had grape vines trained (just need to add height) Also just letting those here aware that i will post on the retail thread that i am Gippsland distributor for liquid fert and soil conditioner products. I will explain more there

im using 3mm nylon braided rope, have done for years.
works fine.

I noticed my Chinook was just starting to pop up yesterday :)
The Victoria has stopped growing though for some reason, will chuck some seasol and a liquid fertiliser on it in the next day or 2

punkin said:
I've avoided all rotting issues this year with 2.5mm stainless balustrading wire. They seem to be keen to grip it, and if they slide down, well it will save me lowering them as they reach the top :lol:

attachicon.gif
hops4.jpg
Thats what I use they won't slide down.

My poor Chinook was neglected while I was overseas. Got home to this...

image.jpg

and that was after I had weeded for 5 minutes before taking the pic.

Amazingly, there were nodes about to breach the surface! Go hops!

After...

image.jpg

technobabble66 said:
Seasol is more like a growth stimulant. It's v good for encouraging plants.

Something like Nitrosol is a liquid fertillizer (Has a more significant level of nitrogen, phosphorous, etc in it); but there's several different brands/types.

I use a combo of these 2 (every 2-4 weeks during spring/summer) plus basic organics (dynamic lifter + blood&bone, scattered over the top every couple of months) as well as digging in cow poo, mushroom compost & regular compost.
It's a bit over the top, but all of my herbs & fruit trees went crazy last year. It sounds like the good Doctor does something similar. I kinda see it as providing short, medium & long term food, and supplying a full spectrum of nutrients.
I'd admit this is my first year growing hops, though, so i'm hoping the same regime suits hops also.
This is the back of the pack for the liquid fertiliser, happy to go out and grab some cow shit and turn it in the soil and some other stuff if its going to get the plant healthy and ready to go.

My shoots have greened up a bit and gotten bushy, but no height other than maybe 1cm on top of the last pic.

EDIT: forgot picture!

image.jpg

Hey Jurt,

I'm not particularly familiar with Miracle Grow (or hops, for that matter :unsure: ), but after looking at your pic then cruising their website, it appears that miracle grow is an inorganic fertillizer.
That's not such a bad thing, it's just that most experienced/expert(?) gardeners seem to prefer organic fertillizers. When i say organic, i just mean something derived from natural sources like compost, composted materials, manures, animal by-products, etc (so it doesn't mean organic in the "certified" sense). I think the idea is there is a wider range of nutrients & in particular there are organic nutrients that support the overall soil ecology. Hence its provides for better plant health in the long term.

Having said that, a bit of the Miracle Grow thrown into the mix should be fine. It looks like a basic nutrient booster of the more important nutrients. Given hops sound like a crazy-growing weed, boosting things like nitrogen & potassium is probably a good idea.

I'd probably dig in a bit of cow manure (actually, i'd just throw it on top & rake it a bit at this stage) & throw a bit of Dynamic Lifter onto the top. I'm assuming you've already used some Miracle Grow, so i'd probably save it for later when the hops are growing a little more vigorously (couple of months??).

FWIW, i'd highly recommend Seasol, or something like it (based on experience with other plants, not hops though :p ).

My 2c

technobabble66 said:
Hey Jurt,

I'm not particularly familiar with Miracle Grow (or hops, for that matter :unsure: ), but after looking at your pic then cruising their website, it appears that miracle grow is an inorganic fertillizer.
That's not such a bad thing, it's just that most experienced/expert(?) gardeners seem to prefer organic fertillizers. When i say organic, i just mean something derived from natural sources like compost, composted materials, manures, animal by-products, etc (so it doesn't mean organic in the "certified" sense). I think the idea is there is a wider range of nutrients & in particular there are organic nutrients that support the overall soil ecology. Hence its provides for better plant health in the long term.

Having said that, a bit of the Miracle Grow thrown into the mix should be fine. It looks like a basic nutrient booster of the more important nutrients. Given hops sound like a crazy-growing weed, boosting things like nitrogen & potassium is probably a good idea.

I'd probably dig in a bit of cow manure (actually, i'd just throw it on top & rake it a bit at this stage) & throw a bit of Dynamic Lifter onto the top. I'm assuming you've already used some Miracle Grow, so i'd probably save it for later when the hops are growing a little more vigorously (couple of months??).

FWIW, i'd highly recommend Seasol, or something like it (based on experience with other plants, not hops though :p ).

My 2c
Cool, thanks for the thoughts mate! I dug in some cow manure etc yesterday, we've had some bird issues with our capsicum and leek seedlings getting eaten so I spent the day working out there rigging up some netting, figured it would be a perfect time to dig it in to a few other plants as well!

image.jpg
Goldings
image.jpg
And Hersbrucker

First time I've grown hops, they seem to be off to a good start.
Just have to add the rest of the strings while a beer is mashing.

Goldings is just starting to throw out laterals....excellent, excellent.

Latest posts

Back