2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yum beer said:
Out on the slopes, Goldings, Tett, POR and Cluster all up, Mt Hood went in 2 weeks ago and Saaz not showing yet, but were quite small rhizomes.
Small rhizomes are best started in pots on a warm sunny window shelf.

carniebrew said:
So I finished off its adjustable trellis today (the one on the left):

attachicon.gif
IMG-20130908-00012.jpg
Awesome, few sleepers around them and you will have yourself a pirate ship!

Tett.JPG

Tett

POR.JPG

POR

Cascade.JPG

Cascade (Just pushing the soil)

Chinook.JPG

Chinooks x 3

Fuggle.JPG

Fuggle at the end of the chinooks

EKG.JPG

EKG Replanted yesterday

Victoria.JPG

Victoria needs string, it's going for it

Also have a Canterbury Goldings out the front of the house Im gunna grow up to the roof.

:ph34r:

Spring is definitely the best time of year !

Since last Sunday, my Goldings has shot up almost exactly 1m, Cascade 90cm and Fuggles is slower at just over 60cm.

Gotta love a north facing yard...just wish I had more height/space available.

I haven't limited the bines this year, I'm letting them do their own thing. There's around 12-15 bines on the Cas and Gold, 8 on Fuggles.

Wow, its great to see everyones hops of to a great start.

Mine are all starting to poke their heads up. I also planted out a Cascade rhizome today.
Looks like a bit of rain early in the week and sunshine mid week. Sounds good for the hop garden!!!

My Victoria poked it's head out last week but is growing quite slowly
Chinook hasn't shown any signs of action yet, sadly

Have you used that sized pot before Yob? I have planted mine in similar sized ones, Im hoping they are big enough.

Bigger is better but that size is adequate… just, tend to dry out quick in summer when they are sucking the water in.

Have to be very wary of keeping the water up then.

I think wooden planters, the thicker the better, are best for above ground. That, along with a good layer of mulch, should keep water loss to a minimum. I 'borrowed' some irrigation line and connections from work for mine.

Ground level, mulched planters would be even better.

IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg
I have replanted my hops this year from pots into a garden bed along the front of my deck. The first photo shows me sieving dirt into the beds while the second shows the transplanted hops. I will take some photos tomorrow as the Cascade hops have well and truly sprouted.

Sieved dirt....thems some pampered hops !

That deck is going to look really good in a couple of months, covered in leavy bines.

hoppy2B said:
Small rhizomes are best started in pots on a warm sunny window shelf.
There good hoppy, they had some small shoots on them when I transplanted into their new spot.
Very happy with the results from your zhomes.
Cheers buddy.

Saw some nodes poking through 2 weeks ago so covered them all in horse poo and sugar cane mulch. Golding was off to an unusual start.

Yob said:
Chinook is usually late to show but a strong finisher, least in Vic and my yard anyway
Couldnt agree more, she pops up about 4 weeks late on an east to west planting but also runs till mid April. For what its worth to anyone Yob introduced a new hopping technique to me. Pour a glass and put a hop flower in it and crunch it around. The backyard randal.

timmi9191 said:
glad to hear that yob. ive got 2 smurto chinooks - one just broken through and yet to see the other, was getting worried...
Same. My first ever hops, a DrSmurto Chinook, just poked through yesterday. I was getting a bit worried with everyone else reporting great growth already while I still had a bare patch of dirt. Sky's the limit now!

I just planted my Cascade Rhizomes from @Ratchie on Sunday, can't wait to get them going, <3 hops!

yum beer said:
There good hoppy, they had some small shoots on them when I transplanted into their new spot.
Very happy with the results from your zhomes.
Cheers buddy.
No worries, glad to hear you're happy. Hops love water, so if you water well and give them lots of manure and liquid manure you should get a good crop.

Latest posts

Back