2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hops. My one in the pot suffered badly. all the ground coverage in pot wilted and died. looks nasty. the one in the ground going strong!

I have a small patch of mostly sheltered lawn at my place. I removed an area of grass in the sunniest position to plant my hops - a cascade and hersbrucker rhizome (from the legend that is jyo). Cascade really started to take flight around a fortnight ago - got it up to a few feet high... which I was stoked with, Hersbrucker hasn't really made any progress.

Anyway... I was out whipper-snippering the lawn last weekend... I'm guessing you all know where this is headed...

Yep... the idiot that is me, nicked the Cascade an inch or so off the ground! Gutted. The plant is still alive, but I've lost a good month or so of peak growing. New leaves are now emerging, but it was a mournful morning where I had to unwrap the little feller from his string as it wilted in the sun...

victoria.jpg
Victoria (about a week ago)
Chinook just started to show signs of a crop too :)

i have the starting of flowers on one of m,y plants!!! a dozen or so buds woohoo

My in- ground Chinook is covered with beautiful little babies. Not sure the others..been away for a few days. Chinok began a couple weeks ago.

Wow, some great updates here.

My 1st year Chinook are still all of about three foot high and growing slowly.......

Have been using liquid fert every two weeks and watering well, but growth is slow. Hopefully, better results next year!!

Wow, some great updates here.

My 1st year Chinook are still all of about three foot high and growing slowly.......

Have been using liquid fert every two weeks and watering well, but growth is slow. Hopefully, better results next year!!

If you're not getting the growth you expect, try scratching in some iron chelate (bunnings) around the pot or plot. Plants can't utilize the nitrogen from these fertilizers unless the iron levels are adequate. Itcan change a plant's foliage characteristics significantly in a couple of weeks. It's also the no1 reason why plants don't take on a lush deep green appearance and have significant yellowing in the leaves.

Martin

My Cascade and Chinook have come along way!
file-53.jpg

Cascade to the left.
file-54.jpg

Chinook took a little bit to catch up but it's thrown a heap of burrs.
file-55.jpg

Runty little EKGs

hops2012.JPG

time to feed methinks.

The cuttings I took from your Victoria on the 17th December last year Raven, are now 5 metres tall and covered in burrs. :beer:

The cuttings I took from your Victoria on the 17th December last year Raven, are now 5 metres tall and covered in burrs. :beer:

So they arent a dwarf variety? :p

Good luck to the Adelaide growers over the next week.
Four or five days with predicted 40C + temperatures will cause some issues.
I have six plants in pots so I'm going to be out watering several times a day. :(

Good luck to the Adelaide growers over the next week.
Four or five days with predicted 40C + temperatures will cause some issues.
I have six plants in pots so I'm going to be out watering several times a day. :(

I have found placing a large rock or ceramic pot on the ground in the pot where the hops are growing significantly reduces water loss during those days.

Now I always place a ceramic pot full of miniature cactus plants on top of the hop plant pot. The hops grow out around the upper pot and dont seem to suffer as much from the heat.

Ala

Anyone got a trellis design that will allow for multiple varieties of hops to be grown without any chance they will climb into each other?

Last year i grew my hops at home, growing up the side of the (2 storey) house. This year i have moved half of them (3) to the folks farm and am growing them up a trellis constructed of two 6m lengths of PVC pipe (vertically) and strings dangling down from a horizontal between the two pieces of pipe. It works ok, but was a pain to put up and isnt overly strong. Next year i'm planning to move the rest of the hops, plus maybe one or 2 more out there as well.

I only have 1 plant of each hop type, so want to keep them separate. Space is no issue. My thoughts at the moment was to maybe have 1 vertical post, approx 3-4m high for each plant, and just to keep each post/plant at least a few metres away from its neighbour. Or possibly make a commercial style layout, and just plant the rhizomes a long distance apart...

Anyone got any hints/thoughts?

Cheers

How do to know when hop flowers are ready to be picked?

Cheers,

Ben

IIRC you're supposed to brush a cone backwards and if 20% or so of the leaves come off, they're ready. Think there may be some differing opinions though.
I think my first harvest will be on the weekend for about 3 dozen Victoria cones.
In another few weeks I reckon nearly all the burrs left will mature at about the same time. Just as well, as I wasn't looking forward to harvesting a few dozen cones every other day for a month.

Victoria....
11561AAC-BF35-4CCA-9D46-28C1A6EC6A4A-1730-0000020D3B26AFB2.jpg

IIRC you're supposed to brush a cone backwards and if 20% or so of the leaves come off, they're ready. Think there may be some differing opinions though.
I think my first harvest will be on the weekend for about 3 dozen Victoria cones.
In another few weeks I reckon nearly all the burrs left will mature at about the same time. Just as well, as I wasn't looking forward to harvesting a few dozen cones every other day for a month.

Victoria....
11561AAC-BF35-4CCA-9D46-28C1A6EC6A4A-1730-0000020D3B26AFB2.jpg

So how long do you think they take to mature on the plant once they reach full size (or stop getting larger).

Worst thing about this hot weather 39 here today, is that it burns (tips) the growing tips off the bines and it looks like it slightly burns the leaves on the cones.

Back