2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B)

Our confusion is understandable, given the shape of the leaves..

483625_10151125611195976_1906854474_n.jpg

Last month I had a few rhizomes left over that were getting a bit manky so didn't want to sell/give them away. As a propagation experiment, I cut them into small pieces and put them into a bucket filled with potting mix (buckets are cheaper than pots):
hops_121102_1.jpg

A month later at least 80% of them appear to have shoots growing (and should continue to grow if the snails stay away):
hops_121203_1.jpg

... I'll keep them in bucket-pots, tend them over summer, and they should be established plants ready for a new home for next season.

Goldings today, already at the top of their 5m growing lines and setting flowers:
hops_121203_3.jpg

Tettnang thinks it's a ground cover:
hops_121203_2.jpg

Last year - for each variety that I only had 1 plant of - I buried a growing-bine across the width of the garden so that a 'second' plant would grow at the other side.
The buried bines turn(ed) into rhizomes (one of which dad dug up because he thought it was a tree root - there are no trees within 50-100m):
hops_121203_6.jpg

It's a cascade so I'll see how small bits grow-in-buckets.

Most of the plants that I 'encouraged' to spread, sent up a large number of plantlet shoots that will turn into full-sized plants (if I let them).
Not all are where I want the hops to actually grow, so spent a bit of time today pulling them out.
hops_121203_4.jpg

Victoria plantlets.

Each bit has roots/leaves, so I trimmed it back and will see if they grow in buckets also:
hops_121203_5.jpg

POR, Columbus and Cascase plantlets.

Good idea burying the bines, Wolfy. Even just growing the bines sideways (along the ground) should encourage heaps of laterals to grow upwards. If this results in more overall yield though is questionable, but might still be a fun thing to experiment with if you have the space.

Our confusion is understandable, given the shape of the leaves..

Pretty much every case swap I have been to ends up with someone smoking 'hop flowers'. I'd say 'hop cones' but that would seem to mean something else since the folks just use rolly papers. :D

Good idea burying the bines, Wolfy. Even just growing the bines sideways (along the ground) should encourage heaps of laterals to grow upwards. If this results in more overall yield though is questionable, but might still be a fun thing to experiment with if you have the space.
Was more about encouraging the plant to grow and spread and hence future-production - by having multiple plants instead of just 1 of each variety - than immediate season production. I'm not sure it would do much to enhance the current season production but in the future with multiple plants (given room for them to grow) the production should be increased appropriately.

Hey all, just wondering if anyone in the Adelaide area has a Columbus plant I'd be able to get some shoots from. I have several varieties I could swap for if I can find an interested party. Or I'd be happy to buy a couple of shoots if need be.
A bottle of my finest perhaps. :D

Mine are going crazy at the moment, main vines going well and branches coming off all over the place.

Pretty happy since they got planted in August :eek:

2012_12_05_07.29.jpg

I'm almost ready for another harvest of Cluster, Cascade is covered in flowers, Goldings and Mt. Hood just starting to bud?

I'm just wondering if your Cluster is the same strain as mine Batz. Mine is in its second year and looks to be topping out at around 3 metres in height. My other hops are much like yours. Golding and POR are in the process of burring up.

Don't knock the dwarf, they are good for hand picking. :icon_cheers:

My hersbruck is going nucking futs on it's 2nd year - I counted about 40-50 large burrs yesterday and I am sure there are tons more coming. May even get two harvests out of that plant. I need to build a trellis extension for the chinook and cascade - will put a crossbeam across the top of the copper logs, then a metre high extension with mitred brace to extend the top of the things a bit more... hopefully with a bit more height they'll start budding more

I have some cascade and goldings cuttings which has struck roots and are looking for new homes. I have about 4 of each.

Swap for a variety I don't have (hersbrucker, chinook, goldings, cascade) or $10.

In newcastle, nsw.

My hallertau looking good and going nuts! the cascade is coming now after stopping for ages

CAM00181.jpg

CAM00180.jpg

CAM00179.jpg

Far out the rain at the start of the week has not helped my hops...I'm glad I had them in pots so I can move them around so they don't get as much water as most of the other plants (though the tomatoes freaking love it haha)

Some of the cuttings that I have had sitting in water for the last couple of weeks have grown small roots:
hopbabys121214.jpg

(About 1/3 the cuttings died, 1/3 are still green/alive but no roots, 1/3 have started growing roots).

So I put them in bucket-pots with the others:
hopbabys121214_1.jpg

can anyone identify these little feckers and with what I should be decimating them with?

bugs.JPG

grasshoppers? dunno what the hell they are but my Victoria is infested with them.

:icon_cheers:

Back