2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kev, those are laterals, usually those end up having the most cones, just leave them.

Mine have been in the ground just a little under a month now - I was a little slack in getting myself organised! Thanks to wakkatoo for the 'zome.

IMG_2801_1_.JPG

Chinook.

I see Mozzi and PrSmurto are talking ridiculous dribble as usual. :lol:

I would compare harvesting hop cones with picking fruit from a tree. Has anyone eaten an unripe piece of fruit? Most would understand if I described unripe fruit as tart and lacking sugar.

And yes I am talking from experience because I saw how long my cones held up on the bine last season.

If you ever harvest enough cones to brew with then perhaps you will be qualified to make other than imbecilic comments Mozzi.

another golden post from Herpie

not talking about unripe... I believe over ripe was the... ahh feck it, I cant be bothered.

Here is my ghetto hops system. Yes, it's dodgy but it should work.
IMG_1720.jpg
I originally had them in the ground but replanted them in pots because my soil was to clay like. They seem to be doing better now since the recent storm activity.
IMG_1721.jpg
The strings are about 5 metres. If I can get them to climb that high I'll be happy.

My Columbus is about 1m up the trellis I have for it, with Willamette at the same stage.

Cascade is coming along quite nicely in its pot and will be moved to the ground quite soon after another trellis is organised for it.

Chinook and victoria are not showing any signs of life so don't have much hope for either of those...

All in all, fairly happy with how things are coming along for the first year.

Chinook today.

If thats the parents of my chinook, then they must be strong buggers. My chinook you gave me are powering along where others have not even shown a whimper. Out of 5 varieties, only chinook and goldings have survived. And the golding is hanging on for dear life. I've now got 4 chinooks from last years rhizome all looking strong even though they have been moved once already through a growth spurt.

If thats the parents of my chinook, then they must be strong buggers. My chinook you gave me are powering along where others have not even shown a whimper. Out of 5 varieties, only chinook and goldings have survived. And the golding is hanging on for dear life. I've now got 4 chinooks from last years rhizome all looking strong even though they have been moved once already through a growth spurt.

Yep, same rhizome. I sourced it from a brewer located in Tumut. ie. foot of Snowys

Struggling to keep mine separate.
Columbus, Goldings and Mt hood bines are now like a cm thick.

Mt hood is developing cones.

gallery_19421_895_113302.jpg

Mt Hood Cones:
gallery_19421_895_35859.jpg

9 Golding shoots available for whoever.
All are growing and quite happy. They have between 2-4 inches of rhizome each and their shoot.

gallery_19421_895_57185.jpg

The cones on my Sweet Fruit Cluster have made some amazing gains in size during the hot weather over the last 2 days. I think mine are a couple of weeks behind Batz's. Like Batz I'm planning to do an early harvest brew as soon as I think there are enough cones for one. Will probably try it in future years with all of the big aroma American hops.

Pre_Early_harvest_Cluster_29_Nov_2012_001.jpg

Just had a phone call to say we had a major hailstorm come through at home this afternoon. I'm not as devestated about my hops as i am about my apple trees. Especially my cider apples that had two dozen fruit on this year. :( :angry: :(

The cones on my Sweet Fruit Cluster have made some amazing gains in size during the hot weather over the last 2 days. I think mine are a couple of weeks behind Batz's. Like Batz I'm planning to do an early harvest brew as soon as I think there are enough cones for one. Will probably try it in future years with all of the big aroma American hops.

I'm almost ready for another harvest of Cluster, Cascade is covered in flowers, Goldings and Mt. Hood just starting to bud?

Back