2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look like leafhopper nymphs, I have them swarming around my garden as well. They're sucking insects but haven't caused any damage here yet.

hmmm sap suckers hay... I rekon their time is up the little buggers, some plants have more than others and the more heavily infested Victoria looks a bit stunted, could be a co-inki-dink but will nuke em just to be sure.

Cheers

hmmm sap suckers hay... I rekon their time is up the little buggers, some plants have more than others and the more heavily infested Victoria looks a bit stunted, could be a co-inki-dink but will nuke em just to be sure.

Cheers

brew up some strong coffee (like quintiple espresso), let it cool and spray it on - a cheaper / safer (less harmful toxins) than chemical bug sprays. You'll be surprised how toxic a good coffee is to little buggers like them...

Had a look at my hops this morning and they are looking a bit worse for wear :( some brown looking a bit sad...too much water or not enough? They did get a gutfull last week with 3 days of solid rain and they do get full sun

if they are leafhoppers, and they do look to fit the bill then the interwebs says to get rid of then and that they inject the plants with toxins and spread from plant to plant.

The more infested of the plants do seem to be stunted which also fits the bill so I think I will try to nuke the little beggers.

Thanks for the info man.

:icon_cheers:

if they are leafhoppers, and they do look to fit the bill then the interwebs says to get rid of then and that they inject the plants with toxins and spread from plant to plant.

The more infested of the plants do seem to be stunted which also fits the bill so I think I will try to nuke the little beggers.

Thanks for the info man.

Stunted? They could be dwarves :rolleyes:

Pinch the tip off at ground level and burn it! :blink:

As an experiment to see if you will achieve a higher yield. :p

Mine all have a nasty nasty spidermite infection. Which has actually stunted/dwarfed two of them.
Nuked them with heavy duty poison yesterday. Hopefully when I make beer with the hops some of the radiation is left behind and I turn into Spider-Man.

IMG_1728a.jpg

My ghetto hops system is working so far. It has been very hot and dry in SE Qld this summer so it seems to have slowed the progress of the hops. ATM the stronger ones (cascade and goldings) are about as tall as me (minus the height of the pot).

I get these yellow bugs on the leaves. It's not the greatest photo but I did some research but couldn't find what sort of bug they are and if they need to be removed. Any ideas? When I go out to water the hops plants there are dozens of them all over the plant (about one or two per leaf).

IMG_1725a.jpg

kalbarluke, your hops probably have a lot of bugs on them from being under the Eucalyptus. I was walking around this evening looking for a chook that seems to have gone missing, probably another one to the neighbour's cat. ******* has about 2 dozen. I'll start shooting the fuckers soon. And on my walkabout I noticed how many bugs were buzzing around in the canopy of the Eucs, chockers mate.

That's good to know, noticed them down here too and wondered what to do with them. :)

Hey guys just a quick question. My hop plants are growing really well but there being eaten by bugs. what does everyone use to kill the little nastys

Hops.JPGHops.JPGInsert pic is of the Chinook pups i got off Dr Smurto back a few months ago. They've reached about 5m high with significant lateral growth as well. Flowers have appeared all over and there's probably about 100 cones already forming up around the 4.6m mark near the top of the boat shed. bit feral for a few months of growth after a long stint in the fridge. The cascades are starting to move now and have reached about the 1m mark, the Hallertau are doing well at around 2m of growth and quite a few laterals growing as well. Wouldn't have thought the bines would be throing cones at this early stage, but not concerned about it.

Soil prep was simple. Home made potting mix, with a bit of lime for pH adjustment, some magnesium, some iron chelate, blood and bone and a 4 manure mix along with a hefty covering of cane mulch.

Really not expecting much from the plants until they're 3-4 years old, when i'm hoping for them to produce a small crop to play with some fresh harvest brews.

Hervey Bay isn't exactly a temperate zone, but have enjoyed playing in the garden all the same.

Martin

Here's my chinooks - I'm a first time grower - no idea what to expect, but happy with what I'm seeing so far.

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

Latest posts

Back