2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked my 2nd year Cluster last Thursday, dried and packed and in the freezer now. Kinda wish I had packed them wet. They seem to lose a lot of aroma as they dry and the dry stuff I have brewed with seems to have less flavour than the wet I used last season. I have about 50 Cluster plants in nursery bags that hold about 15 litres of soil, most of which will produce a reasonable number of cones this season.
Last season my all grain green wheat wet Cluster brew had a good hit of lime fading to piney, then pineapple, followed by grapefruit and mellowing out to a little passionfruit. That was once it had fully conditioned in the bottle. Had a lot of freaky fruit flavours soon after bottling and before full carbing.
My Vics had their top metre burnt off some of the 5 metre tall bines last Friday in the 45 degree heat. I have 3 plants going at the moment which should be yielding well in a couple of months.

Where's the tractor!

1.jpg

hoppy2B said:
Picked my 2nd year Cluster last Thursday, dried and packed and in the freezer now. Kinda wish I had packed them wet. They seem to lose a lot of aroma as they dry and the dry stuff I have brewed with seems to have less flavour than the wet I used last season. I have about 50 Cluster plants in nursery bags that hold about 15 litres of soil, most of which will produce a reasonable number of cones this season.
Last season my all grain green wheat wet Cluster brew had a good hit of lime fading to piney, then pineapple, followed by grapefruit and mellowing out to a little passionfruit. That was once it had fully conditioned in the bottle. Had a lot of freaky fruit flavours soon after bottling and before full carbing.
My Vics had their top metre burnt off some of the 5 metre tall bines last Friday in the 45 degree heat. I have 3 plants going at the moment which should be yielding well in a couple of months.
Can you give a little more info on freezing wet hops please?

punkin said:
Can you give a little more info on freezing wet hops please?
Its pretty simple. Pick your hops as you normally would when you think they are ripe and pack them in bags straight away and into the freezer.
I use about 4 times the weight of wet hops as I would of the dry stuff when brewing beer. Its a good idea to pack the amount you plan to brew with into each bag before freezing as they tend to freeze into a somewhat solid lump.
I don't know if they would be suitable for dry hopping with once they have been frozen wet.

Harvested 300g of Mt Hood this morning.
Which i then decided to make hop omelettes for breakfast.

Omelette:
2 eggs,
splash of milk,
3 hop cones - sliced,
chives - sliced,
basil - sliced,
garlic chilli infused olive oil,
2 slices of wholemeal bread - buttered,
salt + pepper as desired

Garnish:
3 hop cones,
hop leaf

Quite delightful.

Rest was compressed and vac sacked into the freezer.

eggs.jpg

adryargument said:

Omelette:
2 eggs,
splash of milk,
3 hop cones - sliced,
chives - sliced,
basil - sliced,
salt + pepper as desired

Garnish:
3 hop cones,
hop leaf

Quite delightful.

eggs.jpg
For a while there I thought you had chopped and added fresh hop cones to your eggs, it had me very interested.... In fact that's what I serving for brekky tomorrow.

Batz

Batz said:
For a while there I thought you had chopped and added fresh hop cones to your eggs, it had me very interested.... In fact that's what I serving for brekky tomorrow.

Batz
But i did, i did!
All the light green bits are hop bits.

hoppy2B said:
Its pretty simple. Pick your hops as you normally would when you think they are ripe and pack them in bags straight away and into the freezer.
I use about 4 times the weight of wet hops as I would of the dry stuff when brewing beer. Its a good idea to pack the amount you plan to brew with into each bag before freezing as they tend to freeze into a somewhat solid lump.
I don't know if they would be suitable for dry hopping with once they have been frozen wet.

Thanks mate, just a good way of preserving the early harvest ones so they can catch ip then.

Thanks.

adryargument said:
But i did, i did!
All the light green bits are hop bits.
Fantastic!

I'll serve this up to the trouble and strife in the morning. :super: I always add mobs of herbs anyway so we'll she if she notices any difference.

adryargument said:

Omelette:
2 eggs,
splash of milk,
3 hop cones - sliced,
chives - sliced,
basil - sliced,
salt + pepper as desired

Garnish:
3 hop cones,
hop leaf

Quite delightful.

Can't quite raise you yet, but i'll see you....

Hop croutons with extra virgin, balsamic, basil flowers from the garden and sliced Cascade from the vine...

hopcroutons1.jpg

hopcroutons2.jpg

punkin said:
Thanks mate, just a good way of preserving the early harvest ones so they can catch ip then.

Thanks.
Punkin.. if you actually do this I would be keen to hear your results..Ive been quite skeptical to date, reinforcement/feedback from such as yourself may go a few yards to adding to this discussion about freezing wet hops.

Yob

Yob said:
Punkin.. if you actually do this I would be keen to hear your results..Ive been quite skeptical to date, reinforcement/feedback from such as yourself may go a few yards to adding to this discussion about freezing wet hops.

Yob

:lol: Well i picked three for my croutons last night (that were terrific by the way) and stuck one of them in a zippie and threw it in the freezer.

You'll probably be after a more representative sample than that though? :)

My Chinook are coming along nicely - nearly ready for harvest.
Picked a few for 'testing' and came up with the below.

Belgian style hop steak:
(Bachelor recipe below, serves 1)

1 x New York Cut
1/2 Cup Belgian Dubbel Dubbel
1/3 Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
2 Garlic Cloves
1 1/2 Tablespoons Ginger minced
1 Chilli sliced
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil (or extra virgin if you have none :ph34r:)

Marinate for 6 hours, serve with a 2012 Sierra Navada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale.

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Good lord. Eating hops.

Are you blokes also partial to the odd bowl of crystal 40 with a slplash of milk in lieu of cornflakes?

whoops... stinker here today... Im afeared Ive killed the Goldings.. it's dry enough to smoke :(

Others looking a bit sad as well..

nutz

Yob said:
whoops... stinker here today... Im afeared Ive killed the Goldings.. it's dry enough to smoke :(

Others looking a bit sad as well..

nutz
We've had yet ANOTHER 40C+ day in Adelaide, so my Chinook got 9L instead of 4.5. Couple hours after the first watering the soil was bone dry again. She seems to be quite happy though, flowers everywhere and only one or two yellow leaves, 4m high.

I'm excited! :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back