2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do either of you use pot ash or anything like that?

no, dynamic lifter pellets once every few months around the garden. I used pot ash last year but did nothing.

Why not clip off the burrs now to encourage further growth?
Stop the energy from going into the burrs so early.

:unsure: :blink:

I'll trim the extra bines, no way I'm taking off the burrs. My experience is once the bines have started to burr the bine stops growing any longer, new growth then comes the base or off the main bine. so I can't see the benefit in taking off the burrs (what I want) to encourage further growth. I'd say that would deny me an early crop and leave me only with the later crop...I tend to get spider mites later in the season so later crop may not arrive.

Just got mine in the mail, about to plant. It's more of a for the fun of it sort of thing rather than relying on them to output. I don't have the vertical capability to put the lines up, but intend on running a 15m line in a horizontal method over the yard. It should include about a slight rise in height, and not be entirely level.

The idea is to have 3 x lines running over the garden, providing some slight shade and with a bit of luck lots of hops. Would this be OK or fall into the realm of give it a go?

@ psytramp: Do your hops tune into SBS? Looks like a sweet antenna! :p

Variation within my backyard:

My parent crown of PoR has come up and then done nothing. Am I worried? No, it'll do it's thing when it wants to. Normal cigarette lighter in picture for scale.
PoR_1.JPG

Saaz parent crown and some cuttings from last year are just starting to get interested in growing.
Saaz_1.JPG

In contrast to these plants, my Hersbrucker parent crown (transplanted from a barrel into the garden bed this year) is going gangbusters and has got to the top of the 3.5m flagpole trellis. It has too many bines to be able to count them.
Hersbrucker_1.JPG

Flagpole trellis to the left (4.5m above garden bed soil surface, ~5m above lawn) : my Chinook parent crown, also transplanted from a barrel into the garden bed this year, has as yet thrown only one bine that is currently about <10cm in length. What you see up to about 2m are the growth from some rhizomes I split off the parent crown at transplanting time. The split rhizomes were kept in the fridge for a while and then planted out.
The tree to the right is the neighbour's gorgeous nectarine tree. The fruit are slip stones with a white flesh and are magnificent. I harvested 50 Kg of fruit from it last season and that was only from as far across the fence as I could reach! We would only have access to less than 20% of the tree from our side.
Chinook_1.JPG

Note:
I have both variation between varieties and amongst varieties. I am not worried about how yours are growing comparatively, or how mine are growing.
The fricking caterpillars were giving some a hard time so I have sprayed a caterpillar specific bacteria inoculant onto them.
I constructed my trellis' (or flagpoles) so there is a minimum amount of horizontal surfaces for birds to perch on and poop from. We have gazzillions of birds in the area thanks to some big trees the neighbours have.

My experience is once the bines have started to burr the bine stops growing any longer
I second that!

mine seem to be doing okay. One of them has a second head to it so to speak.

Photo0428.jpg

Right is Chinook, Left is Pride of Ringwood.

They are looking good, though I still have no idea what I'm going to do for a support system.

Wraith

100_1430.JPG

Couple of nails in the wooden frame and run some string across your yard to the house or a shed or something, like another poster did. Quick and easy if you are unable to think of something better.
You can always put up a better frame if you think of something and retie the strings to that. The bines are fairly flexible.

Got my Chinook growing along some string. Does anyone know if they can hold onto fishing line? My others will be growing up the back veranda and up the side of the house, but I'd prefer it if i could use fishing line cos it wont be so noticeable (while they are still little). Not sure if they would be able to hold onto it though?

My Chinook has finally started growing again after not doing anything for about a month.

I added some lilme to the soil the other week after testing acidic, also this warm weather in Sydney might be helping.

Doubt it.

Keep in mind the string will be the least of your worries when they really start growing...

2 of the 3 showing life.

Tardif

Tettnang

Hallertau is nowhere to be seen yet. Though, i'm not shocked it was always going to be last. Will finish the lines on the weekend. Don't have veritcal space, in the inner city, so have 3 x 18m lines on a near horizontal run with a slight incline on them.

Finally got some pics today of the hops my parents are growing near Coffs Harbour. Got ten first year Perle that were planted quite late. I think the pics are of the biggest one. The trellis will go up next week, with the goal being it will serve as shade for parking the cars under in summer.

12112011191.jpg

121120111921.jpg

2011_11_12_19.10.09.jpg

First year plants, free rhizomes courtesy of AHB Brenthor.
Chinook on left POR on right. Training them to go sideways and up, they only needed a bit of direction at first and now seem to get the idea.

Hops_001.jpg

All four of my plants are 2 metres high now on at least one of their two strings. I suppose that's good.

However, the leaves near the base on some of them have taken on a mottled appearance ... looking a bit worse for wear. Does anyone know if that's a problem or par for the course?

All four of my plants are 2 metres high now on at least one of their two strings. I suppose that's good.

However, the leaves near the base on some of them have taken on a mottled appearance ... looking a bit worse for wear. Does anyone know if that's a problem or par for the course?

Par for the course on the SSC this time of year, keep em watered!

Screwy

Right is Chinook, Left is Pride of Ringwood.

They are looking good, though I still have no idea what I'm going to do for a support system.

Wraith
I have been researching fencing for a permaculture garden in FNQ (yes am going to attempt hops up here) and found this site
www.boddingtons.com.au
or more specifically thishttp://www.boddingtons.com.au/forestry/plant-support-net.htm
If you go to online shop at the top right hand side in the red it will give you the prices. I believe it is 2 x 10m for $7.50.
Hope this helps someone. Also lots of other good garden netting solutions :)

Par for the course on the SSC this time of year, keep em watered!

Screwy

Ah, ok... they get the baby's bath water everyday (well once a week when he gets a bath ;) )

Actually, that's about a litre a day each at dawn or dusk. Maybe they need a bit more as they hit their straps.

Could do with some rain here, and who'd have thought i'd be saying that in 2011?

shaked head in mild astonishment

2.JPG

Photo taken Yesterday with bine a good 3 inches from the top

1.JPG

Closeup of Leading tip of Bine approaching the top of the line

3.JPG

photo taken this morning from roughly the same spot showign it's a good inch above the top line..

er... thats about 100mm yesterday alone.. :blink:

go you Goldings Monster :D

edit: photo order

My saaz has grown 2 metres in approx 2 months how much longer do they usually keep growing in height? i have a feeling it is going to be climbing on the roof in the next few days..... :lol: (its my first year also)

Saaz_.5.jpg

Saaz_1.jpg

They can grow 6m+ in height.

I find a lot more hop cones grow from about 2-3m and upward so let them continue if you have the room.

My saaz has grown 2 metres in approx 2 months how much longer do they usually keep growing in height? i have a feeling it is going to be climbing on the roof in the next few days..... :lol: (its my first year also)

some people with limited space rig up the line so it can be lowered as the bine grows so that if it reaches maximum height for your yard, they lower the line by (X) to let it continue to grow vertically.

This would also make for easy harvesting as you can bring the bine to you instead of having to climb a ladder etc...

Hop this helps.

Latest posts

Back