2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have actually used a retractable 3m camping pole for them to grow on so might give that a try...

my amarillo is going gangbusters...
Image0502.jpg
probably about 3.5m now
Image0503.jpg

Left: POR; Right: Chinook; background: cascade
Image0500.jpg

ladygarden bug guarding the goldings, for whoever asked earlier
Image0504.jpg

these were taken before i noticed heaps of new bines from each plant tangled up in the marigolds, so many that i decided to get all indiana jones and throw up some new twines

I just moved my saaz which was just peeking up from the soil by about 3cm with about 5 leaves. It was stunted for about 1 month So I decided to move it to a new bed with heaps of cow manure and a lot of sun.

All growth above the soil since the move has died. Is that it for my saaz?

Or will it maybe sprout up again?

the first one I put in I gave the soil lots of love and the Chinook Ive got in there is doing the worst of all of them, as the good Doc has said previously,

dirt, water and sun is all they need (with some cow crap once a year)

Im beginning to believe that you can easily love them to death...

treat em like a red headed step child and you will get results :D

My chinook is still dormant and driving me a little crazy, my goldings on the other hand has started to take off.

My Chinook was VERY mature when I received it from Dazza.
It's flying up the rope like nobody's business.

Can't say much for the Columbus though. It was much smaller in size before planting
and still quite slow to get up the rope.

Chinook is starting to fire up after a slow start

ec2cb4ca.jpg

Getting loads of burs on all of them now - fingers are crossed for a bumper harvest. The EK Goldings has reached the top of the arch now (peach tree next to it is loaded too!) :D

IMG_0137.jpg

Had our hops growing in a back yard in small pots with never much production. Moved them into the ground this winter with a big 4.5m high trellis setup. Raised mounds, chicken poo, mulch and lots of water. Training 1-3 shoots per vine depending on age, having a great season so far with the bines varying from 2-3m high (variety dependant).

Question is: Laterals are appearing from the main bines on my Chinooks (whilst they are still happily growing). Are these where the hops will appear? Some of these laterals are already 20-30cm in length. Let them go and they will sort themselves out? Can see them in the pic.

Can't believe how crazy these plants are once out of a pot. Found some new shoots popping out the ground this morning about 1m from the main area of a 2yo rhizome.

photo.JPG

My cascade bine tips are snapping fter 2 metres of growth, thinking about trimming off the bines that this has happened to and seeing If i get new bines pop up. Its either that or I'm stuck with dwarf bines :(

Here in the Blue Mountains, my first attaempt at growing hops is providing mixed results...

the Goldings in the pot are going quite well ... with 7 - 10 cm growth per day for the last week or so ...
IMG_2353_sm.JPG

however the Pride of Ringwood in the bed against the garage wall (in the background where you can see the broadbeans growing ... not that you can teel that they are broadbeans from that shot) ... have perished. It's not for lack of watering, it could be that they where overshadowed too much by the beans, or maybe I hit them up with too much potash (my snowpeas didn't seem to like the postash & withered a fair bit).

My cascade bine tips are snapping fter 2 metres of growth, thinking about trimming off the bines that this has happened to and seeing If i get new bines pop up. Its either that or I'm stuck with dwarf bines :(

Don't trim them back. The laterals will come out and take off where the main bine left off. Bloody birds snapped my main bines last year but the laterals then took over; just send em upwards and it will be all good.

Question is: Laterals are appearing from the main bines on my Chinooks (whilst they are still happily growing). Are these where the hops will appear? Some of these laterals are already 20-30cm in length. Let them go and they will sort themselves out? Can see them in the pic.
Train the laterals to where you want them to go, if you want them to go somewhere. If not, then let em do their thing. You'll get cones on the laterals but you might get some from the main stems also.

Hey Guys,
Photo below is of my Chinook plant. Has reached 5-6m and stopped growing upwards. It now has some large flowers on it.

Unsure if it is time to harvest? This is my first time growing hops.

IMG_20111119_00075.jpg

My 2 Cascade plants are like Pennywises ... Bloody slow to take off ... 3 shoots for Rhizome ... no larger than 10 cm in height ... I am looking at River Bouys .... I am only slightly jealous ...

Bring on next season .. hopefully they grow quicker :)

Back