2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unsure if it is time to harvest? This is my first time growing hops.
When they feel dry and 'papery' to the touch, and smell like nice fresh hops (when rubbed) is the time to pick them, but before they go brown and dry.

Hey Guys,
Photo below is of my Chinook plant. Has reached 5-6m and stopped growing upwards. It now has some large flowers on it.

Unbelievable! Brilliant for you! Hopefully for you, you may have an extended harvest season, maybe several crops of cones. One can only hope.
I saw people saying they have burrs and I was skeptical and a part of me thought they might be thinking the laterals were burrs. These certainly are not laterals!!! :D
I was anticipating my harvest in March. I reckon my Hersbrucker will be earlier but it hasn't even looked like producing burrs yet.

One of mine has split in two so sending up to runners. All of mine are nearly 4 foot. fingers crossed i get some cones

Photo0458.jpg

My Mt. Hood, generously donated by raven19, got nuked in the summer sun last year when I had to go away for a fortnight.
But it's reshooted this year without attention, really hoping to get something off it this time. Thanks again raven.

Unbelievable! Brilliant for you! Hopefully for you, you may have an extended harvest season, maybe several crops of cones. One can only hope.
I saw people saying they have burrs and I was skeptical and a part of me thought they might be thinking the laterals were burrs. These certainly are not laterals!!! :D
I was anticipating my harvest in March. I reckon my Hersbrucker will be earlier but it hasn't even looked like producing burrs yet.

Thanks. Am pretty happy with the results so far. Just bought a rhizome off ebay and stuck it in a pot. It's growing great.

The photo just shows one lateral with flowers on it. There are heaps of these all the way up to the top. Probably 150+ cones nearly ready to pick.

The photo is of a lateral at head height. The ones at the top might be ready to pick. They are little bigger and the tips of the cones are turning brown.

My 3rd year chinook is definitely producing burrs. This is much earlier than last year so I was quite surprised when I saw them on the weekend. Fingers crossed for several harvests this year.

Man so jealous of everyone on here... My Hersbrucker and Mt Hood is hardly out of the ground, POR & Cluster are about 10cm and Chinook has stopped growing at 1m....

Damn cold adelaide hills!

My Chinook was a very late bloomer. I kept it in the pot all through winter and only cut back last years foliage once it fully died out, which was probably around September!

Anyway, it has come back with an absolute vengeance. One bine grew about 3 metres in 3 weeks, and it's very thick with BIG leaves.

Man so jealous of everyone on here... My Hersbrucker and Mt Hood is hardly out of the ground, POR & Cluster are about 10cm and Chinook has stopped growing at 1m....

Damn cold adelaide hills!

Not all of the hills is cold :icon_cheers:

My chinook reached the top of the trellis (3m) weeks ago. So far i am winning the battle in keeping it from overtaking the vegie patch and swamping the tomatoes. I found one bine halfway up a tomato plant.....

My Victoria has just reached the top and my cascade is now producing the first signs of cones.

New plants will take much longer as they don't have the root size to be able to grow as fast. My new Victoria plants that i split from the mother rhizome this winter are less than 30 cm in height. They were the same size as the rhizomes i sold.

Hey Guys,
Photo below is of my Chinook plant. Has reached 5-6m and stopped growing upwards. It now has some large flowers on it.

View attachment 50293

they aint hops.... they is _ucking watermelons!!

Nice work... who was the seller?

My POR is now going gangbusters.. it's probably only 3 foot high but throwing out laterals madly.. the bottom 2 must be near a foot long and Ive started training them up the line too...

Goldings reached the top of the trellis and Im trying to teach the bitch to go horizontal... they definatly prefer vertical...

Trellis extension 2 planned :rolleyes:

Not all of the hills is cold :icon_cheers:

My chinook reached the top of the trellis (3m) weeks ago. So far i am winning the battle in keeping it from overtaking the vegie patch and swamping the tomatoes. I found one bine halfway up a tomato plant.....

My Victoria has just reached the top and my cascade is now producing the first signs of cones.

New plants will take much longer as they don't have the root size to be able to grow as fast. My new Victoria plants that i split from the mother rhizome this winter are less than 30 cm in height. They were the same size as the rhizomes i sold.

Ha, way to make me feel bad!

All my babies are starting to shoot to the top of the trestle.
Theres 4-5 plants that each have between 1-4 bines that should be at the top by now (Aint checked in a few days).
And another 4 plants that are following them all up.

Will have to get some more progress photos this evening.

Here's my Saaz and Hersbrucker in Canberra - growing for form over function, trying to train them horizontally...

Hops_22_11_11.jpg

Broke in at the end of September I think. No flowers yet.

This is my new hop frame that I have just finish. Starting from the left cascade,sazz,victoria,chinook,por and goldings x2
shitty picture from my phone.

3draws

photo_1.JPG

This is my new hop frame that I have just finish. Starting from the left cascade,sazz,victoria,chinook,por and goldings x2
shitty picture from my phone.

3draws
Wow deja vu! Looks like some of my plantings! I will post a picture tommorrow for comaprison.
I think they're too close together. Even though they're in pots the laterals do go crazy all over the place. If they were in the ground I'd call you mad for putting them that close. You have seven plantings in the space that I have two plantings.
I have tried to reduce the number of horizontal strings/cables so the dammed birds (feckin poopers) have nothing to perch on.

Back