2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos won't win any awards. :p

Chinook - 5th year - single plant
DSCF4022.jpg

Chinook - 4th year, there are 2 plants in there i think
DSCF4018.jpg

The other plants (Cascade and 3 Victoria's) are smaller but still growing well.

A shot from further back showing the height of the trellis. They hit the top of the trellis which is ~3m in height by late November last year. Looks like they will be there well before then.
DSCF4014.jpg

Photos won't win any awards. :p

Chinook - 5th year - single plant
DSCF4022.jpg

Chinook - 4th year, there are 2 plants in there i think
DSCF4018.jpg

The other plants (Cascade and 3 Victoria's) are smaller but still growing well.

A shot from further back showing the height of the trellis. They hit the top of the trellis which is ~3m in height by late November last year. Looks like they will be there well before then.
DSCF4014.jpg
Wow pretty impressive. How much do you usually harvest per plant?

Yield varies but once mature (3rd year) mine put out 300+g dry per plant.

They seem to produce more each year, last year i took 800g dry off the 3 chinooks, gave away a few buckets of wet hops and let maybe 1/4 of the cones on the plant.

Do I spy some marigold to at track lady birds? Working for you?
yeah mate the old lady reckons companion planting is the way to go, though i haven't noticed any ladybugs. but then again i haven't been explicitly looking for them either

I've got hop envy!

Mine are first year 'Precoce de Bourgogne' - freebees from Colin at BrewYourOwnAtHome

Grow Baby, GROW!

PB020294.jpg

PB020296.jpg

has any one else got burrs on theyre hops yet. my second year hallertaur is starting to be covered in them but im worried that it is way to early and may end up producing a terrible crop. the only reason i can think of for it is the up and down weather in melbourne the last few weeks may have confused the poor plant.

thought i might add some pics

hop_burrs.jpghops_pic_2.jpg

I have burrs on a couple of my plants and my experience has been that isn't ususual. when I get them this early I get two crops, one early and one quite late.

thanks for putting my mind at ease rk. i do like the sound of two crops on them.means i can make more beer!

Why not clip off the burrs now to encourage further growth?
Stop the energy from going into the burrs so early.

Reducing the number of bines, so we had saaz, cascade & kent goldings tips in our salad tonight. Very tasty. Highly recommend.

do either of you use pot ash or anything like that?

I went a bit heavy handed with it last year, it had a negative effect... note to self, 1 tsp not one handfull per plant. :(
I'm inclined to think that ash etc from a fire might be a better 'softer' option.

I went a bit heavy handed with it last year, it had a negative effect... note to self, 1 tsp not one handfull per plant. :(
I'm inclined to think that ash etc from a fire might be a better 'softer' option.

mmmmm.... hops bines for tea

Went to visit my hops on Cup Day, had some string:
2011_11_01_string.jpg

made some art:
2011_11_01_art.jpg

(chook fortress in the background)
Some of the companion plants from last year made it through the winter:
2011_11_01_companion.jpg

And the hops (they're up in the hills so likely a little behind those in the city).
POR:
2011_11_01_por.jpg

Golding:
2011_11_01_golding.jpg

Hallertau:
2011_11_01_hallertau.jpg

Here are my potted Chinook and Cluster hops.

Managed to get a great yeild last year for their first year, even though they were potted.

I updated the trellis this year for more height.

The Chinook has just poked its head through,

Hop_Chinook.jpg

The Cluster has started taking off now,

Hop_Cluster.jpg

Hop_Cluster_Close.jpg

Cheers!!

Latest posts

Back