2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if someone could climb a fence and get a cutting of galaxy for me.... :icon_drool2: That would be something!

If you are into Galaxy, you should plant up big on (easily available) Coumbus, they are pretty similar. Lots of fertiliser and sun and you will get those stanky stanky flowers cranking.

Going to see if i can get those lovely plants covering the verandah of my shed for the Swap this year..
So i've taken my Cluster Rhizome which went Nuts last year and chopped it up into 4 chunks and planted it in Bottomless "Pots" under the Shed verandah...
I've run 3 stringers from each "Pot" and will hopefully get it trained up to travel up to the Verandah where it can then branch out sideways..(hopefully)
I was going to do some window box style pots just under the upstairs verandah but i thought i'd give this a go first...

Anyhoo, heres a few pics of whats going on...

DSCF0370.JPGDSCF0369.JPG
3 stringers for each Plant..
DSCF0367.JPGDSCF0373.JPG
Should make a nice covered area too.. hopefully the Summer storms wont destroy it..
(ran out of string.. 4 more to go up when Renae gets back from the Hardware.. :rolleyes: )
DSCF0366.JPGDSCF0375.JPG
Little Fella sprouting after only 4 days being out of the fridge....

Sqyre.. ;)

Hey fellas,

My Hallertauer WAS dooing pretty good, but it's been getting eaten by something recently

It looks to me like caterpillars, but i haven't seen any around the plant or pot. (see pics)
I've also sprayed it with caterpillar killer stuff, so if it is caterpillars, the plant should recover.

Any Ideas?

Cheers
Al

IMG_7215.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

Cheers Raven,
I knew about spider mites, so i looked on the back of the leaves, but didn't know they were so small.

That pic looks pretty similar to the holes in mine (but mine are a little worse. I'll do the Chilli and soap (or oil and soap) tomorrow. That way i'll cover two bases (caterpillars and spider mites).

Thanks again,
Al

^^You might find it hard to see the caterpillars as they are probably green and almost the same colour as the leaves.

Sqyre, you sure will have a fair bit of height thereand the bottomless pots are a great idea. I bet they will go mental.

Guys

Spider mites don't cause leaf holes and defoliation like that!

If you can't find the culprit during daylight hours, have a look at night as some of the possibles like earwigs and caterpillars might only feed at night. Slugs and snails will leave the characteristic trail behind.

Some of the suggested control methods won't achieve much on some pests so it pays to find the pest before the cure. Most insecticides (natural or synthetic) work by contact so you need to spray when the pest is there.

Personally I wouldn't worry as the damage is minimal - it will grow through it. Defoliated plants respond well to fertiliser but not too much as the plant is still small.

My Chinook has been in the pot for 2 1/2 weeks, nothing yet :( . Hopefully she comes out to play soon.

Spider mites tend to hand around the growing tips and dont cause damage like that.

As Lochy said, its probably either caterpillars or maybe earwigs. Check them at night as the critters may be night feeders.

Chilli/garlic/soap spray works well for mites but not earwigs/caterpillars.

So far only my goldings have poked through the ground. 20 shoots already. Its going to be prolific this year!

Time to build that trellis.......

^^You might find it hard to see the caterpillars as they are probably green and almost the same colour as the leaves.

Yeah Looks like the damage Ive had from caterpillars. Bloody things are hard to spot, they camo themselves exactly same colour as the leaves & start off tiny. They grow pretty big if left to chow down.
Ive had success with pyrethrum to kill the damn things.

Yeah Looks like the damage Ive had from caterpillars. Bloody things are hard to spot, they camo themselves exactly same colour as the leaves & start off tiny. They grow pretty big if left to chow down.
Ive had success with pyrethrum to kill the damn things.

Pyrethrum works a treat, i have some growing in the garden and crush up a handful of flowers when i make up my chilli/garlic/soap spray.

Just be sure to do it when the air is still, pyrethrum, whilst being organic, kills bees and other good insects.

Hey fellas,

My Hallertauer WAS dooing pretty good, but it's been getting eaten by something recently

It looks to me like caterpillars, but i haven't seen any around the plant or pot. (see pics)
I've also sprayed it with caterpillar killer stuff, so if it is caterpillars, the plant should recover.

Any Ideas?

Cheers
Al
These caterpillars are very hard to spot, they are very small initially and match the leaf colour perfectly.
Here is a mature one that I caught chomping on my hop, I reckon it is around 50 times the size of the little ones.

Caterpillar_on_hop_leaf.jpg

I checked my leaves for the source of the mysterious damage many times before I found the small caterpillars.

They are always found on the underside of the leaves.

If you find them you could use Dipel made by Yates which contains a bacteria that is poisonous only to caterpillars, very safe and used by organic gardeners. A very cheap caterpillar deterrent is garlic spray.

Regards,
Rupert.

Hi Guys,
I managed to find a caterpillar tonight. Exactly the same as yours Cannabaceae. Mine was in a web (see pic). I only found it because two leaves were stuck together.

I'd already sprayed with that Yates Bacteria stuff ages ago, but i went to town on it tonight.

Hopefully it fixes the problem, but i'll give it a dose of chilli and garlic anyway for good measure.

Cheers All

Copy_of_IMG_7227.jpg

Just got in on the 4 for $48 special!! Let's hope I don't kill the little fellas

Plenty of good pics here with trellis ideas but it appears most of you have your growing against solid looking fences or up wires/string to higher structures.

I am looking to build something that allows them to grow ca 5-6m straight up. Was thinking 25 mm 'tubular' iron (yes, i am crap at DIY and even worse at describing what to use) that will be bolted to the large perma pine posts that surround the chook yard. Then i can run a wire between the posts. I can then attach wire/string to this that runs down the ground to pegs in the ground next to the hops.

Any ideas how i make sure that the wires that run down to the ground don't slide along the wire between the posts?

Plenty of good pics here with trellis ideas but it appears most of you have your growing against solid looking fences or up wires/string to higher structures.

I am looking to build something that allows them to grow ca 5-6m straight up. Was thinking 25 mm 'tubular' iron (yes, i am crap at DIY and even worse at describing what to use) that will be bolted to the large perma pine posts that surround the chook yard. Then i can run a wire between the posts. I can then attach wire/string to this that runs down the ground to pegs in the ground next to the hops.

Any ideas how i make sure that the wires that run down to the ground don't slide along the wire between the posts?

I supose it going to depend on what wire/rope your going to use...
I would use something a bit chunky for the main line between the posts like Telecom Rope or similar then you coould use any thiner rope or wire to tie on to that...
Using a little bit of fencing wire tighted by twisting over the knots will help "crimp" them in to place.
or even small cable ties woud do a good job...

Ive never grown hops straight up before myself but i'm guessing they would still need to be trained to the wires for most of the journey up.. :huh:
Hope you have a decent ladder...

Sqyre.. ;)

Going to see if i can get those lovely plants covering the verandah of my shed for the Swap this year..
So i've taken my Cluster Rhizome which went Nuts last year and chopped it up into 4 chunks and planted it in Bottomless "Pots" under the Shed verandah...
I've run 3 stringers from each "Pot" and will hopefully get it trained up to travel up to the Verandah where it can then branch out sideways..(hopefully)
I was going to do some window box style pots just under the upstairs verandah but i thought i'd give this a go first...

Anyhoo, heres a few pics of whats going on...

View attachment 30534View attachment 30533
3 stringers for each Plant..
View attachment 30532View attachment 30535
Should make a nice covered area too.. hopefully the Summer storms wont destroy it..
(ran out of string.. 4 more to go up when Renae gets back from the Hardware.. :rolleyes: )
View attachment 30536View attachment 30537
Little Fella sprouting after only 4 days being out of the fridge....

Sqyre.. ;)

That looks like a fantastic setup Sqyre. Bottomless pots work a treat for me with my tomatoes
:super:

Smurto, grow them at an angle and you won't need the posts to be as high to get the same length of bine.

My first year growing hops and I'm pretty happy with the results.

centennial_willamette_cascade.jpg

This is a picture of the back of the house with a Centennial, Willamette and Cascade from L-R. I just harvested the cones from the Centennial and Willamette today. The Cascade has a lot of cones but they're still pretty small right now. The aroma of fresh Centennial on my fingers was heavenly. I have an APA planned for them. :icon_drool2:

mt_hood_cascade.jpg

Mt Hood winding its way up the arbour with the Cascade in the background. It has quite a few burrs (no cones yet).

golding.jpg

A Golding. No cones at all, but that's not surprising.

fuggle_hallertauer.jpg

Fuggle on the left and Hallertauer on the right. I harvested the Hallertauer last week and got 140g dried. I just picked the cones off of the Fuggle today and there wasn't much. Maybe 30 - 50g once they're dry. The Hallertauer is missing the bottom leaves due to a massive spider mite infestation. Once I finished picking the cones, I sprayed it with Sevin and that seems to have knocked them back.

sterling.jpg

My Sterling - the runt of the litter. From what I've read, this is supposed to be normal for their first year.

centennial.jpg

Another Centennial. It didn't do as well as the other one at the back of the house but it still produced cones. I just picked them today.

Things I've learned:
- I should be more patient. I dug up the Mt Hood, Sterling and the smaller Centennial because they were taking so long to come up. I broke shoots off of the rhizomes when I did.
- Aphids need to attacked as soon as I discover them. I made my own nicotine spray from boiled pipe tobacco and some dish soap and it worked very well to at least slow them down enough for the ladybugs to catch up.
- Spider mites are real bastards. They also need to be attacked early by removal of the affected leaves.
- I need to lay off the fertiliser. I actually slightly burned the Golding and Hallertauer by overfertilising. Luckily I caught the signs of damage early and watered the hell out of them which kept the burning to a minimum.
- I have to hang the hops using a detachable clasp so that I can lower the entire plant to the ground for picking, then raise it again.

I supose it going to depend on what wire/rope your going to use...
I would use something a bit chunky for the main line between the posts like Telecom Rope or similar then you coould use any thiner rope or wire to tie on to that...
Using a little bit of fencing wire tighted by twisting over the knots will help "crimp" them in to place.
or even small cable ties woud do a good job...

Ive never grown hops straight up before myself but i'm guessing they would still need to be trained to the wires for most of the journey up.. :huh:
Hope you have a decent ladder...

Sqyre.. ;)

They seemed to wind themselves up the strings last year. All of 2m. Ladder is good but was hoping i could either build something that detaches or i could pull the bines down come harvest time.

Cheers for the tips though. I like the crimping idea. Can i use plain fencing wire for the vertical wire or does it need to be rough so the plant has somehting to grip?

Smurto, grow them at an angle and you won't need the posts to be as high to get the same length of bine.

Ok, so its not perfectly vertical. The peg in the ground next to the rhizome is ~1m from the fence line.

With the goldings already unfurling leaves its time to pull the finger out, make a decision and just do it.

Latest posts

Back