2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it actually possible to kill a rhizome?

I got two rhizomes of the one variety in one of my orders, I guess as a bonus from the seller. One looked like what I'd consider a proper rhizome, it was ugly like ginger with little hairy roots, but also there was what looked like a plain old stick. Dry, no roots, no shoots.

A week later that stick is breaking the surface of the soil with a few shoots!

The funny thing is it showed up as a dry stick, was left around the house for weeks, then put in the crisper for weeks, and then planted. I was almost going to just throw it away because I wasn't expecting anything.

These things really do grow like weeds. Incredible.

One thing I'm worried about though is if I go away at christmas time. I'd probably be away for up to two weeks. Is there a temporary watering alternative one can do? They're in pots.

Very hard to kill these buggers!

If you are away for 2 weeks maybe look at water crystals or even a water bag - Link

Cover in lots of mulch before you go away. That will help protect them somewhat.

If in pots, maybe provide some protection around the pot circumference from drying from the sun by using some insulation of any kind (foam, carboard, etc).

Get the neighbour to water them once a week if really worried.

I have several hop plants down at my parents farm. I pretty much neglect these, poor soil, never water them etc and they are fine. I wouldnt worry about leaving them unwatered for 2 weeks.

Cheers guys, mulch and water crystals look the go.

I don't know any of my neighbours!

I have my 4 rhizomes (I got 2 of the same type for some reason) in a fairly small metal 'drinks cooler' I'm using as a pot. The potting mix I'm using is just a potting mix I bought from kmart.

I have three big empty 'half wine barrel' style pots (they're not literally half wine barrels, a bit smaller, and are designed as pots). I've also got a few bags of the cheapest potting mix from bunnings.

I really think anything classified as potting mix will be just fine for hops. Just get whatever is cheap I reckon.

---

BTW I already have shoots from my hops, looks like they survived or possibly enjoyed the crisper. I think I planted them last Friday. Can't remember but yeah think it was only 5 days ago.

I did the same .... potting mix from bunnings approx $6 a bag then bough some cow manure approx $6 a bag and added 1 bag of maure to 5 bags of potting mix.

My hop plants (cascade x 2, chinook, goldings, hersbrucker) are all first year small stick like rhizomes (not a large established rhizome) and in pots. They are all doing great and all have shoots after approx 3 weeks, the constant rain in Sydney has helped.

Chinook is the leader at about 40cm high, the rest approx 5-10 cm high.

Note: i bough a low-mid range potting mix and its fine - could be the manure thats helping the potting mix though. I havent hit them yet with seasol put plan to when the rain slows down.

For anyone that considering growing hops .... its easy ... do it!

Cheers,
Pete

Yeah it really is easy.

My potting mix said on the packet that it should contain enough food for 4 months. I figure most potting mixes are sort of pre-fertalised so I'm not going to feed these hops until they've all grown a bit.

i have a cascade which has been slow growing since about 4 or 5 shoots popped up. i have since noticed that all the tips have been eaten. has anyone had anything similar? birds? its in a half wine barrel against the shed.

Lobo

i have a cascade which has been slow growing since about 4 or 5 shoots popped up. i have since noticed that all the tips have been eaten. has anyone had anything similar? birds? its in a half wine barrel against the shed.

Lobo

Dont have chooks do you?? <_<
My chooks are now in lockdown untill all the shoots grow at least 2 foot...

Sqyre...

no chooks sqyre, but plenty of wood pidgeons etc on the back lawn. maybe i should cover them up. i havnt read anything on this or any other thread about birds eating the shoots.

Lobo

Lobo

Rubber snake scares away the birds,
rubber snake scares away the birds,

rubber snake scares away the birds.

Do rubber snakes really scare away birds?

I have annoying crows that I wish I could shoot, if a snake would get rid of them I'd definitely buy one!!

I was sceptical when first told about it but my strawberries and tomatoes last year couldn't have survived without them. I believe you need to move them every couple of days.

SNC00140.jpg

My Columbus about to go...

View attachment 31871

My Columbus about to go...

I thought exactly the same thing about 5 weeks ago . They have all popped up their heads and are about the head up .

Three have sprouted leaves and I hope they are shooting roots out all over the place but I would love to see some height on any of them. The hersbrucker still has just the sprouts poking through .

Be patient .

Lobo

Earwigs, spider mites or maybe even caterpillars.

If its mites they are very hard to see and their webs are so fine that unless you get the perfect reflection you cant see them. Spray the tips and leaves with either a commercial pyrethrum mix (or use pyrtherum flowers if you have it in your garden) or make up a chilli and garlic spray.

Caterpillars should be visible. Kill them manually.

Earwigs feed at night. Get several pieces of newspaper and rub them over the bbq till they are nice and greasy. Roll them up nice and tight and tie them up with string. Place them next to your plants. Every morning unroll it over a bucket of hot, soapy water. If its earwigs, they will be in the newspaper.

All of my hops have now at least one shoot that's broken the surface.

The POR has about 6! Bit of a shame though because it's the least desirable hop. Has anyone done anything with these that doesn't taste like aussie lager? Would they work alright green in a pale ale perhaps?

All of my hops have now at least one shoot that's broken the surface.

The POR has about 6! Bit of a shame though because it's the least desirable hop. Has anyone done anything with these that doesn't taste like aussie lager? Would they work alright green in a pale ale perhaps?

Bigh made a POR ale for an AMB single hop challenge. Used fresh season POR flowers from memory and it completely changed my opinion of this hop. Its what i will be brewing with my POR flowers although i will still dry them before use.

Yeah it really is easy.

My potting mix said on the packet that it should contain enough food for 4 months. I figure most potting mixes are sort of pre-fertalised so I'm not going to feed these hops until they've all grown a bit.

My plants after 3 weeks ....
From left to right - Hersbrucker, Cascade, Chinook, Cascade .... the Goldings is not pictured put has two shoots 10cm high.

Cheers,
Pete

my_hops.JPG

Latest posts

Back