2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you guys thought about doing a sort of intentional public hop weed process?

Maybe plant a few rhizomes next to telegraph poles and see how they go, if they make a crop you can go and pinch some hops later on.

Next to railway fences would be even better.

Good for people that don't have suitable space at home perhaps?

We should all do it and make notes of where we've put them haha, and then we can make threads like "any public service Willamette growing in the Brisbane area?"

Guerilla Gardening! :ph34r: I like it!

Have you guys thought about doing a sort of intentional public hop weed process?

Maybe plant a few rhizomes next to telegraph poles and see how they go, if they make a crop you can go and pinch some hops later on.

We should all do it and make notes of where we've put them haha, and then we can make threads like "any public service Willamette growing in the Brisbane area?"

Councils often do weed spraying next to railway fence lines and on other council property. Having said that, I have a telephone pole on my front verge with good soil - would it be too thick to train a hop bine up?

Councils often do weed spraying next to railway fence lines and on other council property. Having said that, I have a telephone pole on my front verge with good soil - would it be too thick to train a hop bine up?

On the same token I've seen heaps of public areas that are already severely neglected, with growing plants all over fences etc. These places would be perfect candidates.

I don't know much about hops, but can they grow up wooden poles / brick walls etc?

On the same token I've seen heaps of public areas that are already severely neglected, with growing plants all over fences etc. These places would be perfect candidates.

I don't know much about hops, but can they grow up wooden poles / brick walls etc?

Chain link fences would be perfect. My hops are surrounded by chicken wire to keep possums out. Every day they grow a bit more and have to untwine them off the wire. It's like they love the stuff.

Hopper.

Nice.

Well if I have some excess Rhizome after this season I think I may just have to start this up. It'd be good if it got to the stage where we had a website where you could search for hop locations etc.

Hey Mark did you get potting/soil mix from bunnings for your pots? If so, what did you get? I need to get mine in the ground asap. Something was mentioned in a huge thread last year, I should've written it down.

I have my 4 rhizomes (I got 2 of the same type for some reason) in a fairly small metal 'drinks cooler' I'm using as a pot. The potting mix I'm using is just a potting mix I bought from kmart.

I have three big empty 'half wine barrel' style pots (they're not literally half wine barrels, a bit smaller, and are designed as pots). I've also got a few bags of the cheapest potting mix from bunnings.

I really think anything classified as potting mix will be just fine for hops. Just get whatever is cheap I reckon.

---

BTW I already have shoots from my hops, looks like they survived or possibly enjoyed the crisper. I think I planted them last Friday. Can't remember but yeah think it was only 5 days ago.

Nice.

Well if I have some excess Rhizome after this season I think I may just have to start this up. It'd be good if it got to the stage where we had a website where you could search for hop locations etc.

Top idea.. I'll be in on this next year!!

My MT Hood up here in Bundy is powering along necely. It grew over 3 foot this week; it's now twisting its way along the patio roof line. mmm, lookimng forward to freshly hopped beers again.

QldKev

I have been planning on doing this for quite a while, growing up leaf cuttins as we speak to plan all over the place :p

Good work Benny. Keep some good notes. We could make a google maps style thing with all the locations marked out.

Well here they are, my Chinook are going bezerk! I just realised i have a Cluster rhizome at my folks place. i should really see how its progressing. Will find out this weekend and make shure shes gettin a feed.

On the 12th of September they where nothing more than around 1/2 cm of shoots... look where it is today!
Chinook.JPG

My POR baby i got from Boston... i pray she's growin a decent root system! B) Cheers bud!
POR.JPG

Cheers! :beerbang:

Thought i'd better chuck on an update of how mine are going...

Here is my cluster with the bottomless pots...
DSCF0953.JPGDSCF0952.JPG
DSCF0954.JPG

And some i got from Hopwest.. (Rupert)
DSCF0948.JPGDSCF0951.JPGDSCF0949.JPG

Sqyre.. ;)

Does everyone dig up their rhizomes and store them over winter or is it OK to leave them in the ground?

sap.

Hmmm, my plants (2x Tettnang, 1x Chinook, 1x POR) have stalled this past couple of weeks. The Tettnang were growing by far the fastest, and are both about 40cm long. The Chinook and POR however are still little bushes, maybe 10-15cm high, and the Chinook especially is looking quite yellow, and the ends of the leaves are browning. I'm watering these maybe every third or fourth day (basically when the ground seems bone dry), and they get the sun from about 10am - sundown. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Also noticed that the bigger Tettnang plant that has three bines growing, have all climbed up the same rope, and that one of the tips has browned and died off....

Help!!

Cheers

PS: All are first year plants in 45cm pots here in SE QLD

I've got a Perle (2nd year) at about 1m.

Chinook from Les the Weisguy growing at about 10cm with four shoots.

Cascade from HopsWest with two bines have just sprouted after about 6 weeks in the ground.

It's all very exciting.

Perhaps we can start a thread of recipes using our fresh, green hops.

Found a little shoot of the recently planted hallertau today.

Dug around very gently as I was worried about garden position and revealed a couple of tiny goldings shoots (ekg). With the chinook, hallertau, tettnanger and goldings I should be well sorted. If only I could find some amarillo and fuggles rhizomes I'd be set for a complete international brewing experience.

Pictures sometime but basically it all looks like a little green plant.

Hmmm, my plants (2x Tettnang, 1x Chinook, 1x POR) have stalled this past couple of weeks. The Tettnang were growing by far the fastest, and are both about 40cm long. The Chinook and POR however are still little bushes, maybe 10-15cm high, and the Chinook especially is looking quite yellow, and the ends of the leaves are browning. I'm watering these maybe every third or fourth day (basically when the ground seems bone dry), and they get the sun from about 10am - sundown. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Also noticed that the bigger Tettnang plant that has three bines growing, have all climbed up the same rope, and that one of the tips has browned and died off....

Not sure on the weather up north, but I would be adding some mulch (pea straw or simalar) to keep moisture in the soil.

Dont feel like you have to water them too often, they should continue to thrive.

The leaves on my plants last season only browned off when they were finished and 'dying' back so to speak.

1st year plants in pots - hope for good rhizome growth, and hopefully flowers next season.

Is it actually possible to kill a rhizome?

I got two rhizomes of the one variety in one of my orders, I guess as a bonus from the seller. One looked like what I'd consider a proper rhizome, it was ugly like ginger with little hairy roots, but also there was what looked like a plain old stick. Dry, no roots, no shoots.

A week later that stick is breaking the surface of the soil with a few shoots!

The funny thing is it showed up as a dry stick, was left around the house for weeks, then put in the crisper for weeks, and then planted. I was almost going to just throw it away because I wasn't expecting anything.

These things really do grow like weeds. Incredible.

One thing I'm worried about though is if I go away at christmas time. I'd probably be away for up to two weeks. Is there a temporary watering alternative one can do? They're in pots.

Back