2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my hops have now at least one shoot that's broken the surface.

The POR has about 6! Bit of a shame though because it's the least desirable hop. Has anyone done anything with these that doesn't taste like aussie lager? Would they work alright green in a pale ale perhaps?
Coopers is POR isn't it? Works well in that.

I've used POR flowers in a couple of beers but I had an assortment of issues with them, nothing to do with POR though. As long as it's fresh you'll be sweet and I guess you won't know what your POR is like until you brew with it. Did a dark ale with it (pellets) a year ago and the beer turned out great.

I think so, just for bittering I'd imagine. I've got an 'old' dark ale sitting in a cube to be fermented that used POR bittering only. Also got a beer with gilbrews chinook flowers sitting in a cube to be fermented. When I get around to fermenting them and if they don't die on me like the rest of my beers this year I'll save some for you.

My girls (Wurtemberger, Perle, Chinook and Cluster) are all still sleepy, just thinking about summer and throwing new bines at present.

13Oct2009__2__Small.jpg13Oct2009__3__Small.jpg13Oct2009__4__Small.jpg13Oct2009__6__Small.jpg13Oct2009__7__Small.jpg

In May I dug out the POR due to the shed placement in the yard. Popped it in the fridge along with two new rhizomes Cascade and Hallertau. Planted them out today all had nice shoots. Will see now in a few weeks what they are all up to.

Screwy

Rubber snake scares away the birds,
rubber snake scares away the birds,

rubber snake scares away the birds.

We have real snakes here... and the Birds attack them...
thats how we know there is a snake in the grass down the back the little birds with the Yellow eyes peck the shit out of them.
Not to mention the Kookaburra's are often seen smashing one against a tree trunk to kill it.. :blink:

City Birds need to HTFU!!! :lol:

Sqyre.. ;)

I was sceptical when first told about it but my strawberries and tomatoes last year couldn't have survived without them. I believe you need to move them every couple of days.

If you don't the birds get use to them and come and shit on your deck anyway...

i have a cascade which has been slow growing since about 4 or 5 shoots popped up. i have since noticed that all the tips have been eaten. has anyone had anything similar? birds? its in a half wine barrel against the shed.

Lobo

Could be earwigs. Traps can be made by mixing some barby fat with some beer and placing it around in old marg containers. The wigs cant resist the stuff and drown in the hundreds

This is the only thing that saved my seedlings of all sorts last year. The wigs were eating the new shoots of carrots, passionfruit in fact any new green shoot.

I reduced their number greatly using the above

Could be earwigs. Traps can be made by mixing some barby fat with some beer and placing it around in old marg containers. The wigs cant resist the stuff and drown in the hundreds

This is the only thing that saved my seedlings of all sorts last year. The wigs were eating the new shoots of carrots, passionfruit in fact any new green shoot.

I reduced their number greatly using the above

You leave the lid off the marg tub? Or cut holes around the side they can then climb up and drop in?

Just leave the lid off. I think its the beer that attracts them and the fat that buggers them up somehow, but it works a treat

If you don't the birds get use to them and come and shit on your deck anyway...

Prolly a dumb question but where would one buy a rubber snake (please no sex toy jokes here <_< )

We have real snakes here... and the Birds attack them...
thats how we know there is a snake in the grass down the back the little birds with the Yellow eyes peck the shit out of them.
Not to mention the Kookaburra's are often seen smashing one against a tree trunk to kill it.. :blink:

City Birds need to HTFU!!! :lol:

Sqyre.. ;)

Maybe the city birds are simply in awe of The Snake That Can't Be Killed?

thanks for all the info guys. i will try some of the above.

cheers,

Lobo

Mine are starting to take off.
1st year, 40L pots.
Front to back-- Hallertau, Goldings, Cascade, Hersbruker.
The Hallertau was the first up then stopped, but seems to be on it's way again.
Now I need to find homes for them and string up some twine.

Hops1.jpg

Hi. Im visiting my mum in Bathurst, and looking for a spot to plant my hops. Unfortunatly she lives on top of a hill and its very windy. Is the wind going to be a problem? TYVM.

Here is my "plantation". Six hop plants at my in-laws place.

The Tardif de Borgogne, Goldings and a Cascade have sprouted. Waiting on the other Cascade and the Hallertau to get moving.

DSC05713.JPG

DSC05715.JPG

Hi. Im visiting my mum in Bathurst, and looking for a spot to plant my hops. Unfortunatly she lives on top of a hill and its very windy. Is the wind going to be a problem? TYVM.

Just finishing my first season with hops (northern hemisphere) and all of mine survived the windstorms, including 4 that were strong enough to break trees all over the city. Just make sure they're properly trained on some sort of twine/rope/trellis and they're pretty much immune to the wind in my experience.

How do hops go growing near the ocean? Like right next to it? Does the salt spray affect them?

DSCN3507.JPG

Cluster going nicely... need that hop trellis pronto!!!!

Latest posts

Back