2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chinook coming to life after doing not much at all for the last few months...

DSCN3508.JPG

POR always growing... even in pots!

DSCN3509.JPG

my little baby... aww

pic-0043969.jpg

Anyone know why these things have two different types of leaves?

Plloooiiiiseee Explian? :p

See in the picture how you have the normal leaves that look like pot leaves, but there's also those two tiny tear drop ones closer to the stem in the middle?

(It's Chinook btw)

See in the picture how you have the normal leaves that look like pot leaves, but there's also those two tiny tear drop ones closer to the stem in the middle?

(It's Chinook btw)

Oh yeah i know what you mean, I think thats where the side runners usually sprout(where the hop cones grow).

Just been out in the garden with the wife looking at my hops, 4 from last year & 2 from this year when she said what are those shoots there, turns out they are from last years vienna gold (1.2mts) away and going mad. decided to pull them out as they are growing like weeds on steroids. Go over to last years chinook which is only just getting away when the missus says whats that one there, looks like its coming from a goldings rhizome put in the ground in August over a meter from the chinook. Might have dig everthing up next year & put tin gaurds down in the ground :(

what pest sprays do you guys use? my leaves seem to be getting eaten by some invisible bug was thinking it was aphids?

actually i can see your plant Bullsneck has the same holes on the leaves as my Chinook

Yeah, I wasn't sure what was eating them.

What I'll do is try 5 or 6 things to deter these little critters. I vaguely remember a chilli mix that people spray on their leave to ward off any unwelcome insects. You might have to do a search for that. (Check out previous years 'Hop Plantation' threads)

In the picture you can see blue pellets. They are snail pellets.

If the holes are getting worse, I'll try something else.

Edit: missing parentheses.

hey hey

My chinook popped up and said hello yesterday. I went out this morning to have another look and it has grown more over night! Can't wait for this beauty to boom on up!

Cheers

Dicko

Can hops have too much sun? Mine get sun pretty much all day, and the leaves and shoots have wilted and gone brown :( One plant has started a new sprout, but the others appear gone. No holes on the leaves, so doesn't look like pests.

Will be moving house in a week or so, and transplanting into the ground (currently in 45cm pots).

What is the correct amount of sunlight for hops, or more importantly, hops in SE QLD?

Cheers

Couple of pics for Hops (Mt Hood) in Queensland - Bundy.

These are growing along East-West, house is on the southern side.

First pic was taken 1 Oct 2009
hop1.JPG

Second pic was taken quickly tonight. 25 Oct 2009. The end of the bine is actually of the pic, overall the main bine is about 16 foot long. This is growing along the patio roof. As you can see in the pic there are several side shoots starting.
hop2.JPG

You want the most sun hours you can get a day for best flower development.

Sorry about the poor pic quality, but it was a last minute idea.

QldKev

Can hops have too much sun? Mine get sun pretty much all day, and the leaves and shoots have wilted and gone brown :( One plant has started a new sprout, but the others appear gone. No holes on the leaves, so doesn't look like pests.

Will be moving house in a week or so, and transplanting into the ground (currently in 45cm pots).

What is the correct amount of sunlight for hops, or more importantly, hops in SE QLD?

Cheers

Nick, something I read a while back suggested that in hot climates like SEQ, hops are best to be shaded during the hottest parts of the day. For example getting indirect sun only from 11am to 2pm or something like that.

Chinook going strong, 1m high now.

Tettnang did not shoot, dug around - and the rhizome had rotted away! :(

POR's, Goldings both going great too, around 0.5m tall.

My chinook is getting big now and needs to be strung up. Anyone got any tips? I have some white twine at home that seems waterproof and relatively strong, would this be okay?

My Chinook hasn't moved for weeks :( It's only about 20cm high. I know they tend to stall sometimes and put energy into growing roots, but how long (on average) do they normally stall for?

Back