2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE (JonnyAnchovy @ Sep 30 2009, 06:04 PM) *
Good to see you have the sledge hammer there incase of any Day of the Typhoids type contingency arises.... Can never be too cautious....

and of course i mean triffids. Auto-spell check + Amarillo ale = spelling fail.

That is there for a visual warning :)

Its what you cant see in the photo that you need to worry about ;)

Need to take a photo of my Chinook's

I am amazed how these things grow everyday when i go to have a look they are bigger, my wife is sick of me dragging her over going "Look! Look!"

Bought a large Chinook from e-bay, $25+11 express post from waggawagga on 22.9.09.
Arrived + Planted on 23.9.09.
Sprouted 24.9.09.
About 4 shoots are out and one grew to about 5 cm yesterday.
Poor quality mobile phone pics supplied.
Looking forward to further progress!

Chinook_Rhyzome.jpg

5_cm.jpg

Pretty sure Chinook is Native American for a wind (Chinook Wind) They grow so well all over Australia I think we need to look for a Native Australian name for our Chinook Hops :lol:

Hows about Camira

Pretty sure Chinook is Native American for a wind (Chinook Wind).

Not sure you'd find a literal aboriginal equivalent as chinook means "snow eater". ;) It's the warm wind that comes out of the mountains in the winter in southern Alberta.

Not sure you'd find a literal aboriginal equivalent as chinook means "snow eater". ;) It's the warm wind that comes out of the mountains in the winter in southern Alberta.

:lol: Thanks for that Newguy

We have "Crow Eaters" here in AU ;)

Might have to search around some of the southern aboriginal dialects then!

Cheers,

Screwy

Here are mine

Chinook doing well
IMG_3849.jpg

POR is having some difficulties though, it shot off quickly to start with but completely stalled and didn't grow for 5 weeks, so i put a bit of dynamic lifter around it a few weeks ago to help get it going, now it has developed some spots, anyone know what this is and any advice to stop it?

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

I'll echo what others have said already; the stalled growth may be the plant temporarily diverting it's energy to developing roots.

Mine have done the same, I'm not too concerned.

I can't wait to make some fresh hop beer!

Here are mine

POR is having some difficulties though, it shot off quickly to start with but completely stalled and didn't grow for 5 weeks, so i put a bit of dynamic lifter around it a few weeks ago to help get it going, now it has developed some spots, anyone know what this is and any advice to stop it?

Premature.......errr, sprouting.

Happened to one of mine last year, grew 10 cm and then we had a good frost so it sat there sulking for damn near 2 months. Then it took off again.

All of mine have now broken the surface, goldings way out in front with the longest bine now ~1m. Cascade is just poking its head up to see what all the fuss is about.

Thought i could get away without extra trellis work this year but at this rate the goldings with be at the top of the fence in 2 weeks.

AMB working bee........ :party:

do you have to trim all the bines back to 3or 4 or can you just let it go feral and see what happens(one of mine has over 40 bines coming out of it)

do you have to trim all the bines back to 3or 4 or can you just let it go feral and see what happens(one of mine has over 40 bines coming out of it)

Just finishing my first year with hops and I didn't trim any bines. I figure that in the first year the plant needs all the sun energy it can get. Commercial growers will trim them back to 4-5 bines as that forces the plant to put all of its energy into just a few bines which (supposedly) equals more flowers. One of the guys in my club told me he trims his back to only 2 bines and his yearly harvest is more than he can use.

Holy crap mine are going at full tilt at the moment. Ive been neglecting to run some lines to the trellis, turns out last night all i had todo was lift em up and give them a few wraps around the trellis myself. Self supporting already at around 2M since poking their heads out when i got back from my travels 3 weeks ago! I have a sneaky feeling im going to have a BUMPER crop this season.

Pics will come soon...

First Time Hop Grower - Hi Gents,
I bought and planted three rhyzomes 2 weeks ago and have not yet seen and sign of life.
Should i be concerned?
Living in Melbourne

I bought and planted three rhyzomes 2 weeks ago and have not yet seen and sign of life.
Should i be concerned?
Living in Melbourne

Most likely they are still dormant. Give them some time, food and loving and you will soon to see them sprouting. Younger rhizomes usually take a little for them to sprout and sprout well as they focus alot of energy into building a decent root system. A decent water in with some powerfeed and seasol will give them a little 'giddyup'.

Should i be concerned?
Living in Melbourne

no just wait it all takes time

Yeah my first year Chinook took a few weeks to pop it's head out, went like a rocket for a week or two but now seems to have stalled, hasn't moved for almost a week.

Not one of my strong points, thanks for the reply

Simon,

I am in Sydney but in the same boat i.e. bought some Rhizomes 3 weeks ago and planted 2 weeks ago. I have had the Chinook raise its head and now have a 10cm high bine and the hersbrucker has just raised its head but the cascade nothing as yet.

Like you i am impatient but understand (like others in the forum have stated) the Rhizome is establishing its root system. Hold in their mate i am sure you will have bine's coming out your ears soon.

Cheers,
Plyers

I bought some hops back in like July and I got them about 1-2 days before I was getting married and going on a honeymoon so I chucked them in the crisper of the fridge. I pulled them out about a week ago and planted them all together just to see if they're still alive. Funnily enough they looked like they'd been growing in the fridge. Some of them had 10cm long and very fertile looking shoots, as well as some small thin roots.

If they show signs of live I'm going to transplant them to separate pots. There's currently three in a medium sized pot.

Anyone think that's a good idea? At what stage would you move them? First signs of life ie green breaking through the soil, or would you wait for them to get a big bigger/stronger?

Have you guys thought about doing a sort of intentional public hop weed process?

Maybe plant a few rhizomes next to telegraph poles and see how they go, if they make a crop you can go and pinch some hops later on.

Next to railway fences would be even better.

Good for people that don't have suitable space at home perhaps?

We should all do it and make notes of where we've put them haha, and then we can make threads like "any public service Willamette growing in the Brisbane area?"

Back