2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the hop-sock in the pillow deal. While I liked it, US Cascade at night was not a hit with the other half.

These were drying in my spare room, that is the spare bed. I just go there for psychedelic dreams every now and then.

Seeing i'm not far of the First Harvest i was thinking of how to use the Fresh or dried cones. So i did a quick search and couldn't find the info on the ratios when using fresh hops.

So, what is the ratio of

Hop pellets to Fresh flowers or dried flowers?

Is pellet weight equal to weight of dried flowers?

POR's (on the left) have slowed right down, Chinook is going strong (on the right).

No sign of flowers or buds as yet...

Hoping to layer the side shoots to cultivate for others.

DSCN3226.JPG

DSCN3227.JPG

Edit: They are almost at the top of the patio beam...

Here's a question. For my first year in the ground I have a handful of hops that I am considering just green hopping with as I can't really be buggered drying such a small amount. Although I am bloody happy I got something as I didn't expect any. As the weather here has been very wet I haven't bothered climbing a ladder to see how ready they were.

Is there any harm leaving them on the bine too long? They don't seem to be getting devoured by insects.

Hoppyness.jpg
hoppyness2.jpg

Is there any harm leaving them on the bine too long? ...

This is my first year growing and I have been wondering the same thing. Do they go brown and die or lose their potency?
There's only 200ish on my bines but I want to make sure I get the most out of them.

This is my first year growing and I have been wondering the same thing. Do they go brown and die or lose their potency?
There's only 200ish on my bines but I want to make sure I get the most out of them.

Have used unripe (not papery) Werrtemberger (Tett) flowers in a dark beer (2 handfulls at 20 min) and made the most beautiful dark ale I've brewed. The head was so creamy, must have been due to the wet hops as I've not been able to replicate it without this addition.

AM UPDATE: All of my hop plants (Wertemberger, Perle, POR, Cluster, Chinook) have now been dug up and transplanted 100K from my old address, in the middle of the growing season and mid summer. All now have new shoots, some 2M tall, some have even sprouted again after the neighbours dog dug them up :(

Amazing Weeds, unfortunately little or no flowers this year.

Screwy

Next saison , grasshopper (hint) you couldn't kill the Werrtemberger with and axe :p .

My Chinook is doing pretty good.

Almost ready to harvest.

Doc

Hops_2008_9_001.jpg

The Hallertau is a little behind the Chinook, but coming on great.
The other three varieties are even further behind.

Beers,
Doc

Hops_2008_9_003.jpg

Hops_2008_9_004.jpg

Goldings and Cascade, cannot be too far away from harvest, cascade is just starting to develop a little aroma. My tettnang is just miserable, less growth than last year and no flowers at all.

Goldings_2009.jpg

Cascade_2009.jpg

Some of the cones on my Chinook have started to go brown. Most likely due to the wet weather a few weekends back.
Some aroma developing, but nowhere near what I know Chinook can produce.
Flowers are a little papery, but still quite moist. I picked one and it's not ready at all.
Photos later, both good and bad flowers. ;)

I yeilded a whopping 65g dried cascade/chinook/columbus combo, with 100g wet of the same

My 1st year Chinook is done for the year and dying. Whats the best thing to do now? Cut it off at the base and just leave it? Do they need watering at all until next season?

My Chinook hops.
On the vine
P2222384.jpg

The harvest
P2222383.jpg

Drying
P2222391.jpg

This is just under half what the final crop will be. The rest arent ready yet. Worked out roughly 120g dry. If my maths is right I should get 240g for the year. Not bad for a first year plant.
Cascade is performing as a 1st year plant should. <_<

I've got a chinook that has been going great guns for the first time this year, it's the second season it has beeen planted. About a month ago, I harvested some 100g of dried flowers by just picking them. To my surprise in the last few weeks there has been some major new growth and it looks like I am going to get a second crop. Is this common?

cheers

Browndog

I've got a chinook that has been going great guns for the first time this year, it's the second season it has beeen planted. About a month ago, I harvested some 100g of dried flowers by just picking them. To my surprise in the last few weeks there has been some major new growth and it looks like I am going to get a second crop. Is this common?

cheers

Browndog
Apparently so, especially with vigorous breeds such as Chinook! :D

Just threw the first bag of Chinook in the freezer.
Ended up with 50g dried and still about the same maybe a little less still to harvest.

May not be out there like some people here (jealous!) but I'm more than happy!
A fresh harvest pale ale is coming up me thinks.

Some of the cones on my Chinook have started to go brown. Most likely due to the wet weather a few weekends back.

I doubt its because of wet weather. They've been left on the bine for too long.
Cheers
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back