2008 Adelaide Malt Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A few people have asked me to do another Malt bulk buy.

Prices are around $45/ 25kg Aussie base malt and around $60-65 for imported Weyermann base malts.

cheers

Darren

Hi Darren
I will put my hand up for one of each.
Will confirm details once a few more put their order in and this is a definate goer.

Boston

I'm up for it. Are you after orders or just a show of hands to show who is interested?

Mick

I'm up for it. Are you after orders or just a show of hands to show who is interested?
What he said. I would be up for a bag of Weyermann Munich 1 and and a Weyermann Pils.

I'm keen for at least 1 of the cheaper bags. Is there a list of what's available?

Yep same 1 base and 1 spec

i also need to re-stock. i'll be up for a bag of ale and a pilsner and if anyone wants to halfsies a medium crystal? and probably some other stuff too :D

Sack of -

JW Trad Ale
JW Pils

Anybody keen on splitting? -

sack of British medium crystal (~120EBC)
sack Weyermann CaraRed

tdh

Sack of -

JW Trad Ale
JW Pils

Anybody keen on splitting? -

sack of British medium crystal (~120EBC)
sack Weyermann CaraRed

tdh

tdh, I'd be interested in 2-3kg Brit med crystal

BB

Not having used Carared before, what do you use this for tdh?

You can just about use it in anything you would a light crystal from Irish reds, APA's, Euro lagers just to name a few and I think it s only rated around 60-80 EBC.

Cheers
BB

CaraRed is light German crystal about 50EBC.
I use it in Altbier, 80/- and Dunkelweizendoppelbocks.
Try it instead of the regular crystal that you brew with, it's a favourite.

tdh

Hi Darren
I'm due for more malt but not sure what yet but prob 2-3 bags.

tdh,
I'll grab some of that British crystal too.

Steve

While Carared is a crystal malt by definition, it is NOT a light crystal as such. It produces marked reddish hues with a slightly sweet background BUT with some aromas and flavours that you would normally find in a melanoidin malt. Too much can overpower a subtle English style. Suitable for ales only really. If you want the reddish hues in a pils or lager then use Weyermann melanoidin malt.

Wes

You can just about use it in anything you would a light crystal from Irish reds, APA's, Euro lagers just to name a few and I think it s only rated around 60-80 EBC.

Cheers
BB

While Carared is a crystal malt by definition, it is NOT a light crystal as such. It produces marked reddish hues with a slightly sweet background BUT with some aromas and flavours that you would normally find in a melanoidin malt. Too much can overpower a subtle English style. Suitable for ales only really. If you want the reddish hues in a pils or lager then use Weyermann melanoidin malt.

Wes

Yes it is a fantastic malt but as Wes points out is limited in its use, crack some open and you will see what is almost like red candy, it is a bit like a white chocolate cherry ripe, it looks light on the outside buts red on the inside.
Melanoidan at very low levels can impart a subtle malt character to a pils without affecting the colour too much.
I use a lot of both malts but not a lot of either in a brew, certainly not since I discovered that the flavor profile I was trying to get with melanoidan is better in the 5-8% range than the 12-18% range !!!
Of course that is a profile that I was looking for so it has no bearing on what others may look for.

K

Hi darren

I'd be up for 3 -4 bag if the list is the same as last year

Latest posts

Back