2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The father inlaw got a perle and a tettanager at the same place and time as me and his have not even showed through the soil yet .

After the partial that I did two weeks ago I put the spent grain and hops around it .Thought that may help . It is in a garden that I had to explain as a vege patch but ended up with cabbages next to it . There is heaps of chock poo/straw in the soil .Maybe over fertalized??

Ok, so i know ppl refer to hop plants as weeds but i think i may be out of my league. I have been trying to identify a few rogue plants that i initially thought were blackberries, then i started to wonder if they were hops. I planted my rhizomes in the ground. So far the chinook is going great guns, one sprouted right where i planted it, the other popped out some 60cms from the rhizome so i trained him back. These 'rogue' plants are nearly 2 metres from any of the 5 rhizomes i planted. So i am going to have to dig them up and trace them to their source so i can confirm if they are actually hops at all and if so, which one! They look very similar.

Any comments from the gardeners amongst you? These were taken a few weeks back so they are much larger now but dont seem to be all that vine like.

DSCF1440.jpg

DSCF1442.jpg

They certainly look like hop shoots to me. did they start out as litle bud thgings just sticking there heads out of the ground?

second thoughts i dunno, i dont think my hops had that many sets of leaves on them when they were that small...more like straight bine growing upwards.

My cluster is zipping away now but I have given up on the goldings. :(
Try again next year. I think I will wait 'til spring to plant next year, like the americans do.
Its so cold here its not too dumb to think like an american wrt planting times. I've tossed
away the yates planting guide and made my own based on first and last frost dates
like the yanks do.

Is it too late to plant one now? When do you have to get the rhizomes? I wouldnt mind a crack at planting some hops.

I was looking for a good european lager hop, i.e hallertau etc

How much do rhizomes typically sell for? Having never bought them before I want to know what I should set my limit to for that ebay sale. I can wait until next season if need be, I just don't want to get ripped off as can so easily happen on eBay.

How much do rhizomes typically sell for? Having never bought them before I want to know what I should set my limit to for that ebay sale. I can wait until next season if need be, I just don't want to get ripped off as can so easily happen on eBay.

on ebay your bid should reflect the price you are happy to pay, :p If you get sucked i you loose,
only bid with what you are happy to pay and dont mind what other think about it.

there are many ways to get a plant growning,

good luck amita

Ummm.... thanks :S
Anyone else care to share what they typically sell for through stores like Grumpy's etc..?

get a very small cutting from a friend for free. put it in a glass of water. few days later roots start to grow :)

Cheers Steve, reading that now.
Tangent - I would grab some off somone if I knew anyone that had them, which unfortunately I do not.

I'll just wait till next year if I can't get any - it really isn't a drama.

You can get them for about $25 in season. The bigger suppliers sold out quickly this year, so you should expect to spend more than that. They've been going for anything up to triple that for the less common varieties over the past few weeks. I'd expect that particular rhizome to go for $30-$40. On the plus side, if you don't mind the effort you'll be putting into growing your hops, it won't take too many harvests to get your money's worth. :)

Personally I think the cost is negligible for the time you'll spend admiring and grooming your little hop plant on its way to glory.

And that rhizome is MASSIVE compared the the few roots I got.

Personally I think the cost is negligible for the time you'll spend admiring and grooming your little hop plant on its way to glory.
Yep - I (knowingly) overpaid for a Tardif a couple of weeks back. I figure it'd cost me $20 to waste 2 hours at the cinema. At $10/hr, I've already easily got my money's worth! Hell, I'll get my money's worth just this weekend! :beerbang:

And that rhizome is MASSIVE compared the the few roots I got.
Yeah - my Tardif (from cannabaceae) had a huge root system. Started growing within a couple of days of going in the ground.

Back