2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of my Hersbrucker that went in around late July . Sprouted straight away and then stopped and has looked the same now for a month and a half .

Anyone else watching their hops doing similair??View attachment 15648

Yeah mine have seemed to have come to a halt after growing over 7ft in a month and a half.

Now the leaves are becoming fraile and are falling to bits. I've been told a give it dose of super phosphate, hope that works.

Week_5_001.jpg

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

TS

Depends on the variety, and how many there are available......
When there's a few of them available I would have said $20-$30 would be a reasonable price for most average sized rhizome. Larger will cost more.

Around this time of year, there's not much going. I just had a quick squiz at what's available on eBay at present, and I wouldn't bother with any of them. They're reasonably priced, but the 'aureus' variety seems to be touted (from what i can tell) as an ornamental hop, rather than a brewing one. The other one shown looks to be a rather sick and confused looking Pride of Ringwood maybe, however the seller doesn't seem to know much about it, which is never a good start.
If I were you I would wait till next season now, and buy some from Rupert in WA (who also sells via eBay) - I purchased a cluster rhizome from him, and it's quickly grown into a vigorous and healthy vine.

Scientist - give it some fertiliser - seasol, phostrogen, miracle gro, fermented chicken poo liquid etc, and fert regularly, from all accounts these plants are hungry little suckers....:)

My plants are going better this year having transferred them to pots. Really taking off in the last few weeks.
the Chinook is leggy, but has started side sprouting everywhere. The Columbus is being more restrained.
Unfortunately they only get the afternoon sun itheir current position, so not expecting too much.

Columbus
Columbus.jpg

Chinook
chinook.jpg

cheers Ross

Yes, got a tardiff de bourgogne and hersbrucker from Rupert in WA,
Both were a good size with excellent root growth and are doing well despite late planting.

They cost a little more, but considering I wasted $25 on a very minute sickly looking hop that failed, <_< $40 ea for hops with good root development have a much greater chance of success.

If I buy anymore I would definitely go through him again.

Cheers,
BB

My vines have died off and are just small lumps at the base :( still living,but I know SFA about plants, so I just cut them off and hope it will go again. <_<

Update:
My Gouldings has died :( but the Chinook has come good and has about 6 shoots growing fast. :) , it had some nice flowers last year.
Photo to follow.

My hops are really starting to kick into gear.
Five varieties this year and the latest addition (right most plot) is Chinook which is a stormer.

Doc

IMG_5275.JPG
IMG_5277.JPG

My wife decided that she didn't like the position of my Chinook hop today so she moved it to a nice shady spot. <_< Unfortunately in the move she broke the top 12 inches off and now I'm left with a seven foot "stump".

I'm hoping that the main plant continues to grow. I've placed the tip in a glass of water in the hope that I'll have a second plant.

Edit - Damn. She just walked in and caught me moaning online. Now I've got to hang out the washing... :unsure:

This might be a long shot, but last year I had a Pride of Ringwood plant die due to a lack of rain/love... it was out of my control as I was overseas. Anyway, I'm missing fresh hops this year... and I had developed a great recipe to use fresh homegrown pride of ringwood in...
Now I know from experience that POR plants produce loads of hops... does anybody have a bunch of Pride of Ringwood flowers that they don't need? I can provide some beer or something in exchange. Probably best if you live in Melbourne...

cheers,
Chris

My hops are really starting to kick into gear.
Five varieties this year and the latest addition (right most plot) is Chinook which is a stormer.

Doc

Doc,

I noticed your growing them in pots. Im thinking of doing the same. Are you get good yield from using pots?

Bit late in the season to buy, but you could try calling Stewart Ferguson in Tassie to see what he has left. Last season Stewart $17, Grumpy's were $35 I think and then there were prices in between for internet and other retailers. My Wurttemberger is now at 2.5M (second season) and the Perle is at about 60mm much like last year.

Screwy

look what I found in the back lane, walking the dogs!!!!
a homebrewer used to live there and the new owner doesnt know what treasure he has,
anybody guessing what it is?????

now I have a good reason to walk the extra mile....... ;)
cheers amita

hops_009.jpg

hops_010.jpg

anybody guessing what it is?????

It's 5-lobed, which narrows things down quite a bit, right? I can't for the life of me find details of the number of lobes on each of the varieties - seems like an obvious thing to have catalogued somewhere...

It's 5-lobed, which narrows things down quite a bit, right? I can't for the life of me find details of the number of lobes on each of the varieties - seems like an obvious thing to have catalogued somewhere...

got a photo of the leaf, maybe a help???

cheers amita

hops_003.jpg

my POR has 5 "lobes" :blink: only when the leaves are fully mature. It starts off with 3. The leaves on that in the pic are really small where as my mature leaves are the size of a dinner plate. Anyway its a good find. Id be telling the new owner that you would be more than willing to take it off his property.
Cheers
Steve

my POR has 5 "lobes" :blink: only when the leaves are fully mature. It starts off with 3. The leaves on that in the pic are really small where as my mature leaves are the size of a dinner plate. Anyway its a good find. Id be telling the new owner that you would be more than willing to take it off his property.
Cheers
Steve

might have to bring the chooks along for the walk in the back lane and teach them to do their poo right there!! :p

cheers amita

Just bringing back the old topic I talked about a couple of months ago in this thread.
I was saying then that one ought not let any shoots develop that come out before end of october. They ought to be cut below ground, especially in 1st year plants.

They should be allowed to start growing about now, for maximum potential.

Anyone had problems with the rhizomes shooting then stopping altogether?
For me this has been the most common cause of cuttings dying in the 1st year.

MFS.

mfdes, my cluster hop did this just on 2 months ago, i cut them back after a few weeks of staying the same and nothing has happened since.

The other hops (apart from my weed like chinook which grows faster than i can extend the climbing trellis - 1m and counting) are still asleep.

Whereas my cluster hops shoots came up, had a little rest (during which I left them alone) and then took off again. Now at the end of a 3 metre pole and straining for the sky.

Mdfes, I have a lot of trouble with the advice you have given. ALL of it. I'd be happier with it if you could provide some reference material perhaps? Because everything I've seen disagrees with what you have said about nettlehead, (I believe I pointed that out before) and cutting back young hops shoots. My opinion (and experience) is that when a plant decides that it's time to come up - cutting it's head off when it hesitates for a bit doesn't make sense. It's just cutting off the very thing it has been putting ALL of it's energy into, using up precious food reserves in the process. I don't recall ever seeing a plant that is happy about having first season growth lopped off - but I know of a couple who's response is slow stunted growth (for that season or the rest of it's life) or flat out refusal to do anything at all for the season (ie: stuff this, I'm going back to sleep until next year) or just plain old death because it doesn't have the food reserves for a second effort. Plants from the same family have also been known to stunt/turn hermaphrodite or develop strange mutations if damaged/interfered with when young......Mother nature has been doing things her way for eons now - why not just let her decide eh?

If you can supply reference material, please feel free to educate me :) because I am at a loss as to where your information came from.

Dr Smurto, I've just taken some cluster cuttings from an extra bine, you're welcome to one if they take :)

Domonsura,
I have read the same info before in a number of places, but can't remember where.
I have cut back all new growth to the ground twice now this year,
and the round 3 shoots coming up are much stronger, thicker, and healthier looking than the earlier ones.
One plant has grown over a foot in the last 3 days.
I think there is some validity in what mfdes says.
Will try to remember where else i read about the advantages of doing this.

Latest posts

Back