2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm too embarrassed to put up a picture of Linz' hop plant.....it's kind of brown and crunchy right now......not sure whether it will last till next season. Is it supposed to die off like this, or is Linz just a crap gardener?

:huh:

No idea about what that might be, FLB. :huh:

Little Squares, how long has the plant been there? My hops did nothing in their first year, but this year, with a whack of fertiliser and lots of watering they did ok. It has been a hard summer for the plants this year as well. It will probably just be dying back now. How big did it grow?

Looks like the start of a triffid to me :blink:

Batz

I did my first brew with my owm home grown hops

POR for bittering and two additions of Tettnang,now I believe I harvested my Tettnang to early but I have the closest thing to xxxx gold I have ever tried :lol: :lol: :lol:

Batz

Well, I'll keep watering it and see what happens :D

XXXX Batz? Maybe you can keep a few young scoundrels happy with that :lol:

PZ.

Can anyone tell me when & where I can pick up a rhizome or 3 this year? The Mrs has given the green light :super:
Thanks

Crozdog

I'm getting my rhizomes now for the 2007 crop, and was thinking about using a single tall pole per hop plant (see this manual, pp.21).

Has anyone tried this, it sounds good but I was looking for some feedback. I was looking at using about 16ft poles, with 4 of those feet in the ground.

Planting Cascade (yeah!), Mt. Hood and Willamette.

Can anyone tell me when & where I can pick up a rhizome or 3 this year? The Mrs has given the green light :super:
Thanks

Crozdog

Hi Phil,

There were a few references on AHB to Stewart in Tassy, bloke who has supplied to a few guys around the place, at very good prices. I contacted him a month ago and he replied back with the varieties he has. I've been keen to order but unfortunately I haven't heard boo from him since :( . Does anyone who has contacted him in the past know what the story is???

Phil, his email address is [email protected] if you have any luck.

The other option is Grumpys. Details on their website

You can try ringing Stewart 03 6352 7207.

If anyone else in ISB is getting rhizomes let me know, wouldn't mind planting one this year. This time i will plant it in a pot unlike last year where my rhizome just died in the ground.

I'd be up for getting my hand on a rhizome or two.
(ISB)

Thats 3 of us so far.

Anyone in Adelaide want any? I was thinking of ringing the guy in tassie.

should i be worried if my plants from last season have not died off yet

Im in for a melb delivery of rhizomes.

I'm in for a Melbourne purchase if it is more convenient to bulk buy, might be cheap enough for Stewart to just send them individually.

From the G&G website:

Hop Rhizomes

The season for buying rhizomes is from May 30th to August 30th, the optimum time is during July.
Stewart Ferguson, chairman of the Australian Hop Growers Federation and Scottsdale (in Tasmania) district farmer has a good range of hop rhizomes during the season.

Stewart is likely to have the following varieties available in 2007:
1. GOLDINGS
2. PERLE
3. NUGGET
4. CLUSTERS
5. TETTNANGER
6. WURTEMBERGER - 17th Century German Variety
7. COLUMBUS
8. WILLAMETTE
9. PRECOCE de BOURGOGNE
10. TARDIFF de BOURGOGNE
11.CHINOOK
12. MT. HOOD
13. PRIDE of RINGWOOD
14. HALLETAU
15. HERSBRUCKER

Stewart Ferguson's Contact Details:
(03) 63527207. FAX (03) 63527221.
email <[email protected]>

BB

I'm another Sydney brewer who wouldn't mind being part of a rhizome bulk buy. Anyone willing to organise it?

sam - where are you getting your cascade rhizome from?
Cheers
Steve

Hello to all homebrewers 'down under'. I've been brewing for about 12 years and finally decided to try growing my own hops, so this year I planted 12 rhizomes in a 36' row -- which I found out later is probably not long enough because I should have put more space between different varieties. I have 6 Cascade, 2 Centennial, 2 Magnum, and 2 Canadian Red Vine. Australia's famous 'Pride of Ringwood' does not appear to be available over here in the U.S. insofar as I've been able to find. The main retailers that I've checked, such as 'Freshops.com', don't sell the rhizomes.

Anyway, I ran into a few problems -- downy mildew, bacterial leaf spot, a few different types of bugs, and some rhizomes/plants that just aren't doing as well as others, e.g., my Cascade are nearly 9' now and my Magnum are barely 1' and look pathetic -- so I started looking for answers. You folks here are very fortunate because you have a large group of growers, from what I can tell. Many brewing forums I visited didn't appear to have any growers, or had hop-growing threads that were 4 or 5 years old. Consequently, I spent a lot of time just searching for a hop-growing community that could provide answers, and in several forums with growers -- even there I could not get answers. For example, I was told that I needed to apply copper to fight the downy mildew; well, how? Spray, dust, apply to the soil when irrigating, and what sort of chemical, etc. I _finally_ received an answer after asking that on probably a dozen forums or more; the answer is that "copper sulfate" is a soluable form of copper, i.e., it can be sprayed.

Anyway, the difficulty in locating answers motivated me to form a Yahoo group (mail-list) that is dedicated exclusively to growing hops and related matters -- trellis design, diseases, etc. If any of you are interest, the link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops

I'm certainly not asking that anyone quit this group, but rather that some of you consider ALSO providing some help over there, too.

Thanks.

Bill Velek

Sam,

I'm interested in getting a Cascade as well.

Where did you source yours from?

Wally

I'm keen to get hold of Cascade too but haven't been able to get hold of anyone that can supply them...apparently a virus lurks.

I'll love some fresh home grown Cascade !
Never have seen the rhizomes here in Oz,I would like some Spalt as well while my wish list is happening.

Batz

Back