2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know how the cones were pollinated?

You may be lucky and get no males at all, if the pollen came from an female hermaphrodite(male+female flowering plant but still has only female XX chromosomes).

Sexing the Cannabaceae species by eye is burt-near impossible untill flowers develop.

Simo

[/quote]
Hey Guys,
well i planted some hop seeds in december and now i have this:
View attachment 11521
is it ok to cut of the bines growing out from the main bine? without damaging the plant
see below pic they are growing out to the left and right.
View attachment 11522
Many Thanks Rob. [/quote]

First time Ive seen real hops in a CUB keg..... :D

Whats the latest you would see cones starting to form? I have no doubts mine will not produce anything this year but would just like to know..
Harvest is in April i believe?

Depends on the variety, there are early/mid and late season flowering types.

From the link I posted a while back:
"It is important for the hop farmer to
grow varieties which ripen at slightly
different times, otherwise he has to
harvest all his hops at the same time.
Therefore, there are early, mid season
and late ripening varieties.

Also says Bullion, Brewers Gold, Challenger, Magnum, Northdown and Target are late ripening.
The file is not exhaustive so there would be other late varieties.

Well now I am really Gob-smacked!!! :blink:

Wonders never cease.

I thought my first year Chinook rhizome would produce nothing and then it gave me about 1kg wet wt (~300g Dry) of Hops.

Now, Today as I walked past it, I noticed it has been putting out young shoots. I took a closer look and it has sent out a whole new bunch of cone sprays. i.e. In about a month, I should have a complete second harvest.
:)

Bizarre!!
.......or maybe a result of the crazy weather we have had this summer.

ATOMT

Whats the latest you would see cones starting to form? I have no doubts mine will not produce anything this year but would just like to know..
Harvest is in April i believe?

I just noticed on the weekend that I have some flowers on one of my vines (they are all a bit tangled up but I think its cascade). Up to this point I had basically convinced myself I'd get no crop, but then out of the blue they are there. I don't know if there will be a huge amount but I'm just hoping for enough to dry hop one batch. 20g would be heaps. So far I think I have 8 cones forming... got a fair way to go yet!

Also one of my cuttings that I tried to strike in water (like Batz) has taken, so I planted that. Now I have 5 Cluster, 1 cascade, 2 Tettnang, 2 Goldings and 1 Victoria. I am aiming to have 5 of each variety so I can get a decent crop each year.

just an update on the "poo brew", since the sewerage pipe explosion my tettenager has really gone off! the browning and weak growth earlier on appeared to have been totally caused by lack of water (thanks guys :D ).
i really expected the cones to have a much stronger aroma to them tho? i am assuming that will come later..

Image0101.JPG

Quick question: How big do the flowers have to be to harvest them? :unsure: I don't have many, 36 to 40 Chinook first year flowers only.[I counted 36 and I know some a hidden up high.
Just a rough size will do.

So when and more importantly WHERE do we get 2007 cutting's?

Well my first harvest of Tettnanger,and there is easly three times this still on the vine in smaller cones.

Now who was it said "You can't grow hops here Batz,they grow them in Tassie for a reason"

Tomorrow I'll harvest some POR.

Out of the dehydrator and vacuum packed,not quite like Craftbrewers supplies :D but I'll brew Tuesday with hops that are as fresh as one could get.

Batz

Picked and dried the POR,only 25gm of dried flowers at this time.

Still enough with both to work out a brew,home brew with home grown hops :beerbang:

Batz

Quick question: How big do the flowers have to be to harvest them? :unsure: I don't have many, 36 to 40 Chinook first year flowers only.[I counted 36 and I know some a hidden up high.
Just a rough size will do.

Gday Bindi.

My Chinooks ranged in size from about a grape to about the size of a walnut (in shell). I posted some pics a little way back with my hand in it for reference. But it is when they dry up a little and become papery that it is time to pick them.

POR coming along ok. I have found quite a few new flowers that have died off.

A few more weeks then I will brew with fresh hops.

cheers
johnno

Damn johnno, looks like your going to get a massive harvest!

Thats uber impressive Johnno, how old is that plant? If you can grow something that well in melbourne i should have no dramas in the Adelaide Hills......

Gday Bindi.

My Chinooks ranged in size from about a grape to about the size of a walnut (in shell). I posted some pics a little way back with my hand in it for reference. But it is when they dry up a little and become papery that it is time to pick them.

Thanks for that, when it stops raining I will pick them as they are the right size now.
Yes it rains here ;) .

Thanks for that, when it stops raining I will pick them as they are the right size now.
Yes it rains here ;) .

Bindi,
Very good article on ozcraftbrewer as well. I Followed this last year and things came out good.

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/.../GrowHops.shtml

Dr Smurto,
I have had that plant for 3 years now. It is the first year in this location. I am hoping by next year it will be even bigger.

Lots of info in the hops 2006 thread.

cheers
johnno

Yes it rains here ;) .

Rain????........that word...........it seeeems familiar..... what is rain?

Having said that, I have been recycling all our sink water by doing everything in a square sink bucket and pouring it on the garden. As a result, our garden (and my hops) have never looked better.

Hey Johnno. Thats a beauty. Is that the plant you got 3kgs off last year?

They look great in full flower.

ATOMT

Back