2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are doing OK,they were planted late in the season

Fisrt hops are Cluster,then,Tettnang,Hallertau x2,POR

And they have plenty of room to spread,nice view as well :p

Batz

So Batz, it sounds like the POR managed to pull through after a week in an envelope.

DB

Yes deebee,it was very slow to show itself,in fact I thouhgt it was dead :(

But it has been going off the last coulpe of weeks,I am really on a learning curve with these ladies.

Batz

Crumbs Batz

From the look of all that timber why don't you slip down with a chainsaw and knock up a 15 ft pole so they can grow up as opposed to sideways ? ;)

cheers

Redgums :super:

Well they have to go sideways sooner or later,and I have to pick them so I thought it was bloody good set up myself.
Not to high,I can still train them ,and I hope to pick some flowers too.
This is a learning curve for me,perhaps I am doing it all wrong,time will tell.

Like this would be perfect I agree

Batz

Fertl Eisa is definitely the secret with these things, at least in sandy soil. Mine had stopped, the Perle had actually lost all leaves on a stumpy bine of about 600mm high. Used some GP slow release and some Blood and Bone. They have now shot laterals that have grown taller than the original shoots. The Wurtemberger which had stopped at 2.1M now has a new shoot that has passed the 2.1M mark and new latterals which have also passed the height of the original bines. Am going to treat them like gross feeders now and fertilise every 2 weeks, probably alternate with Thrive and Fish Emulsion or Blood and Bone.

Thats interesting Screwtop, I have the same varieties and they have suffered the same fate. Ill give it a go.

Yep, Ditto :angry: will try your idea Screwtop, the Gouldings at 3m looked great but now has stalled and now looking sad :( .
Also had some very small [and I mean VERY small] grasshoppers giving the Gouldings a beating, but found a garlic spray worked wonders, tough plants this pair of ladies.

My mystery hop plants...donated to a friend who wasn't told the variety...look like they are two different types though:
HopPlants.JPG

They'll be staying in the shadehouse until next season and then re-planted.

PZ.

mine shoot up just after i fertilize but then they start fading again not long after, so im looking for suggestions as to a good slow release fertilizer to use so that i get a more constant growth

Hah!

I think Ill leave mine now and if they die, theyre not my type of plant. My blurred vision is a tough non por hop that can grow over the garage every year and all I have to do is collect the hops.
Amazingly the wuertemburger is doing better than the Mt Hood.

I knew I missed it for this year. Moved into a new house just after the planting time, and had no soil to plant in. Definitely next year.

Heres my 3 yr old POR. Rapidly climbing horizontally along to the string attached a gum tree hanging over my fence.

View attachment 10541

...and if you look very closely in the middle of this pic you will see its starting to flower

View attachment 10542

Cheers
Steve

Lookin' good Steve :)

Question time:

As those little things I've got are definitely growing, should I be moving them out of the shade house, or waiting 'till next season like the guy that supplied them said to do?

They are getting really close to attaching themselves to other stuff inside the shade house and I'm concerned...do they die back completely over winter, or will I need to cut them back for removal next year?

PZ.

Lookin' good Steve :)

Question time:

As those little things I've got are definitely growing, should I be moving them out of the shade house, or waiting 'till next season like the guy that supplied them said to do?

They are getting really close to attaching themselves to other stuff inside the shade house and I'm concerned...do they die back completely over winter, or will I need to cut them back for removal next year?

PZ.

id be leaving them in their pots at this time of year, move them out into the garden, let them get some sun, keep them watered. They completely die back over winter. You will need to prune off the bines to the level of the soil in the pot and then plant them out in a sunny position next july/august.
Cheers
Steve

Cool, cheers for that :beer:

I'll put them in larger pots and gradually introduce them to the sun (in a spot where they don't get sun all day long at first) so they don't get too much of a shock :)

PZ.

Well, the camera has gone on holidays, so no photos.

Three nights ago and then last night we had bad hail storms in Canberra.

Last night did the worst damage, every growing tip has been smahed off my POR plants and they are just generally screwed up :(

At least the Golding & Chinook I got from Trough Lolly were in the shadehouse and well protected, so they're fine :)

How did any others on here survive the hail?

PZ.

Geez. Really bad new Fingerlickin. Sorry to hear it.

I came here with a question, but I feel your pain. Bugger!

My question is;

How do you know when your hops are ready for picking. Mine are flowering all over but I fear that some have actually gone past it.

I imagined they would enlarge into ...sort of bunchs, but mine dont seem to be going past little sprays of buds that then open. I assume that when they have fully opened they are pretty much finished then?

What to do?

ATOMT

From what I can gather, the flowers are small if not provided enough nutrient/light.

The dude that supplied my POR also gave my female buddy some home-grown flowers she handed me on my birthday and they were much smaller than the ones I've purchased before...but they still worked :)

Hope that helps...though I've probably missed the point, as I'm well & truly wasted :chug: :lol: :ph34r:

PZ.

Am expecting small flowers, hop farmers would have the soil analysed and add fert/nutrient to suit the plant/cultivar for best results. Imagine that unless we have agreeable soil and climate the flowers will be small, but should be more potent than the big fertilised flowers. Bit like small grape crops vs large crops, plants only have so much energy to give.

Heres a pic of the first season Mt Hood, yum..

(Sorry about the colours a bit washed out, cheap camera)

IMG00002.JPG

How do you know when your hops are ready for picking. Mine are flowering all over but I fear that some have actually gone past it.

I imagined they would enlarge into ...sort of bunchs, but mine dont seem to be going past little sprays of buds that then open. I assume that when they have fully opened they are pretty much finished then?

What to do?

ATOMT

If I understand what your saying your buds have the white hair things still?

Thats the 1st stage of flowering. They will grow petals & form into cones, look at AHB logo for what the cones will look like. When they get to that stage feel them & give them a gentle squeeze every week or so.

When they are immature they will feel wet & spongy. When they start to feel dry & papery they are close to ripe. They will loose their spongy feeling & feel more empty (for a lack of better term). You can let them go until the petal tips start to go brown but i wouldnt let them go any longer.

You can also do the fluff method where you hold the cone tip & fluff the petals back. If the petals fall off after 2 or 3 fluffings theyre done. Then you can also be known as a fluffer :lol:

Back