2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these Hops! They are amazing to watch grow. I just looked back over this thread and on Sept 22 showed pics of my Mt Hood and my Chinook popping up. Well Here they are a little over a month later.

DSC03929a.JPG

Even where "The Varmint" chewed the end of one of the bines, it has sprouted heaps of bines.

DSC03931a.JPG
DSC03933a.JPG

I put this string to the top of these stakes less than a week ago!

DSC03932a.JPG

Unfortunately my POR Rhizome has not performed so well :(

DSC03935a.JPG

Also found that my 1 1/2 ft fence around the vege patch is useless, as "the Varmint" jumped over a 2 1/2 Ft fence into my shed the other day. I reckon he knows to leave the hops alone. ;)

Cheers folks

ATOMT

Damn, i wish mine would take off. I had them in soil for ages and they were crap. Transplanted them into some fresh potting mix and now they are growing, but very slowly. Might need to dump some Nitrosol on them.

Damn, i wish mine would take off. I had them in soil for ages and they were crap. Transplanted them into some fresh potting mix and now they are growing, but very slowly. Might need to dump some Nitrosol on them.
I dont know if this helps but I have been using chook pellets and natural compost (Vege wastes).

ATOMT

Picy of my POR from last Sunday.

Very healthy and bushy looking plant with lots of bines. I will leave all the bines grow.

Hopefully will continue to do ok in the crappy clay soil it is in now.

cheers
johnno

hop.JPG

Fantastic growth (given Kanbeera). maybe I should not have given up on hops ....but then as I once famously questioned..."Who's absolutey gorgeous, nearly six foot, female and growing in my backyard??"

k

Fantastic growth (given Kanbeera). maybe I should not have given up on hops ....but then as I once famously questioned..."Who's absolutey gorgeous, nearly six foot, female and growing in my backyard??"

k
Given Kanbeera, I'm wondering if it was the Humulus lupulus or its cousin, Bud.

Gotta get some rhizomes next year. I got space here.

Seth

Mine have really rocketed growth to over 5m each. Even with the neglect they have had, all bines have lost the end from the main shoots and side shoot are growing everywhere. 1 main shoot got burnt from the spotlight, coulple broken from kids and the last on from when the bbq under it caught on fire. But I just cannot beleive it they keep growing from the side stems. I have already had 1 harvest used for wet hoping in the current brew. Out of intrested these are fresh rhynzones the Tassie this year, planted in Searls potting mix; no addatives at all.

First plant shows vine, with section over BBQ gone
IMG00005_sm.JPG

Second show end that has been burn (I cut off about 2m) and some of the friut of the gods.
IMG00008_sm.JPG

Mine have really rocketed growth to over 5m each. Even with the neglect they have had, all bines have lost the end from the main shoots and side shoot are growing everywhere. 1 main shoot got burnt from the spotlight, coulple broken from kids and the last on from when the bbq under it caught on fire. But I just cannot beleive it they keep growing from the side stems. I have already had 1 harvest used for wet hoping in the current brew. Out of intrested these are fresh rhynzones the Tassie this year, planted in Searls potting mix; no addatives at all.

First plant shows vine, with section over BBQ gone
View attachment 10126

Second show end that has been burn (I cut off about 2m) and some of the friut of the gods.
View attachment 10127

Shite Kev, they have gone mad! What variety?

Mine are doing OK,they were planted late in the season

Fisrt hops are Cluster,then,Tettnang,Hallertau x2,POR

And they have plenty of room to spread,nice view as well :p

Batz

My chinook is emerging from its subterranean slumber. Here's a photo, taken yesterday. This is its third season.

chinooknov06.jpg

Batz

Crumbs Batz

From the look of all that timber why don't you slip down with a chainsaw and knock up a 15 ft pole so they can grow up as opposed to sideways ? ;)

cheers

Redgums :super:

My two plants, Chinook (left) and Mt Hood (right) are going nuts!

Hops061129.JPG

I reckon they have been growing up at a rate of about 75 cm / week.

Now that they hit the roof line, there are side bines shooting off in every direction.

I notice they have amazing little hooks all along tthe surface of the bines that help it to attach to things.

I Love these plants. My wife is giving me greif that when I come home I hardley have said hello before I am out the door to check on progress.

Oh, and we had a Son last week which was also interesting.

Mine have pretty much stalled for the last three weeks.
Then we got some nice warm weather and they looked to have kicked off again. Alas this morning it is colder. WTF is going on with this weather !!!!!

Doc

I know what you mean Doc. the weather has been nuts!
All mine shot and then stalled a few weeks later with really short stumpy growth that hasn't progressed for months. I knocked all those shoots off last weekend and the growth that has replaced it from new buds has been much better. They would be as big as they were a week ago again but with more heigh already.
I hope it does the trick. I did becasue I read somewhere about commercial growers removing the early buds for stronger growth from later shoots. Figured it couldn't hurt as nothing looked like happening.

Brent

"I did becasue I read somewhere about commercial growers removing the early buds for stronger growth from later shoots."

I have POR and Tetnang and they started of very strong, 2 bines per weed, but then they died off, and have just now got about 10 new bines coming out the ground for each, plus lots of new leaves on the dead bines..
I guess they saved me the trouble :)

if anyone in perth has some shoots for next year i'd love to give growing a try if you could bring them to the next meeting i'll bring some cash!

I just got an email saying there are some plants at an ex workmate's place for me to pick up this weekend :D

She got them from someone else...hopefully he has indicated what variety they are B)

PZ.

Batz

So Batz, it sounds like the POR managed to pull through after a week in an envelope.

DB

Latest posts

Back