2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Brent,
My Chinook has way too many shoots and I'm thinking of cutting off at least 6 or more and putting them in water - would you agree that now would be a good time to take cuttings, given the vigorous growth spurt that's currently happening??

Cheers,
TL

Mine have been planted now for a month and nothing much has happened - either the dogs are eating the new shoots or the soil's no good. Will put them in a pot with some nice fresh soil and see how they go. Once they start shooting i'll train them onto a long wire up into a tree and see how far they go.

Shame really, they did sort of take off but then stunted completely. Probably a soil problem.

My Chinook is 2.45M with two 200mm shoots a the base and the Gouldings is 1.35M with one 450mm shoot at the base.
The Chinook took off when I stripped off the bottom metre of leaves when it reached 2m, as per the instructions.

G'day Brent,
My Chinook has way too many shoots and I'm thinking of cutting off at least 6 or more and putting them in water - would you agree that now would be a good time to take cuttings, given the vigorous growth spurt that's currently happening??

Cheers,
TL

Yeah anytime seems to be good. I did some beginning, middle and end of season last year. The beginning of season one turned out much bigger than the plant it came from and ended up an inch thick at it's base.

Brent

I have just put my hersbrucker into the ground today (bought recently on ebay). Just hoping for good root growth, aiming for harvest next season.

Wally, the only hop variety I have seen in the photo's in this thread without a tri-flora leaf is Mt Hood, maybe that's what you have! Have a check back through the pics POR has a tri-flora leaf.

Qld. brewers
Get some cuttings into pots! Next year a hop plant swap.....and that would have to be in Kin Kin ;)

Batz

Wally, the only hop variety I have seen in the photo's in this thread without a tri-flora leaf is Mt Hood, maybe that's what you have! Have a check back through the pics POR has a tri-flora leaf.

I included some pics of my Mt Hood at an early stage on page 9 of this thread and they had the spear shaped leaf. However, this changed about six leaves later and they became trifolate. I am completely in the dark as to whether this is the only variety that does this.

Still waiting for my POR to pop its leaves up.

Ther must be a Hop Botany book with an identification key in it somewhere. It would probably also require flowers for an accurate identification anyway.

:blink:

ATOMT

Trough Lollys POR plant was originally a cutting from my POR plant. Get a cutting about 150mm long, strip the bottom leaves off and stick it in a glass of water on a window sill. Easy as. TL I wouldnt mind grabbing a cutting from your chinook if there are any still going?
Cheers
Steve

Trough Lollys POR plant was originally a cutting from my POR plant. Get a cutting about 150mm long, strip the bottom leaves off and stick it in a glass of water on a window sill. Easy as. TL I wouldnt mind grabbing a cutting from your chinook if there are any still going?
Cheers
Steve

Steve / Fingerlickin_B - I'm gonna give the Chinook a haircut this weekend if you wanna bag some cuttings - if the Goldings gets any more triffid like I'll get at it with the scissors too.

Cheers,
TL

Here is my plantation. Not a lot of growth this week, but all still doing well.
The closest two (Columbus and Hersbrucker are 2nd year, and the far two (Perle and Tettnanger) are first year.

Beers,
Doc

HopPlantation2006_002__Large_.jpg

HopPlantation2006_004__Large_.jpg

I planted 3 rhizomes a few weeks ago. A bit late but I thought I'd give it a crack anyway.

Anyhoo, 1 had two nice little shoots coming up so I was very pleased. Until the chooks decided they liked them and tore the top of the pot to bits and ate the shoots.

2nd revision chook proof hop garden is coming this afternoon. Hopefully there are a few more shoots left in the rhizomes.

Got shoot No 4 come up this morning.

Is there any drama allowing several climbers on the one string???

Got shoot No 4 come up this morning.

Is there any drama allowing several climbers on the one string???

You should be ok as long as you're using a decent gardening twine - you can get it purpose built for creepers and it's essentially a hemp string. The hop runners do get pretty heavy after a while and especially when they bear the cones so don't let all your hard work literally come undone because you skimped on the string. The only problem I'd see is if you had a good crop - getting the cones out would be a bit of an issue if the climbers are intertwined - which may hinder the growth of some cones, too...

I try to train them apart to make it easier at harvest time and afterwards when I slash back at the end of the season.

Cheers,
TL

My POR doing well in their new location.

Lots and lots of shoots. I will let them all grow, same as last season.

hop.JPG

where can you buy seeds or starters to begin growing your own hops

Cheers Arch

i think you have missed out till june again there are anumber of places to buy them like grumpys or stu in tassie. read through this thread and search on rhizomes

Latest posts

Back