2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone was commenting on the variations in Leaves of Hops.

I was thinking of starting a gallery of Hop Leaves and flowers (eventually).

Pics should all be a similar orientation ( eg leaves with tip to bottom and facing flat to camera unluss showing a particular detail. Flowers from the side.

Can anyone add to a gallery or can it be made public?

I was going to start with a "Mt Hood" leaf

Mt_Hood2.JPG

and then a "Chinook" Leaf.

Chinook3.jpg

Any thoughts?

ATOMT

Im a late starter.......

I got the freebie that was on offer here. It was planted(potted actually) on Tuesday afternoon. When I removed it from the packaging there was 2 shoots starting to grow off both legs(Y shaped) of the rhizome, and about 5-6 buds(new shoots) off the other ends....

Now the wait...........

Im a late starter.......

I got the freebie that was on offer here. It was planted(potted actually) on Tuesday afternoon. When I removed it from the packaging there was 2 shoots starting to grow off both legs(Y shaped) of the rhizome, and about 5-6 buds(new shoots) off the other ends....

Now the wait...........

Same, i got a Hersbruck and Perle offcut and planted them a week or two ago - no shoots just yet but here's hoping.

Edit: Just after i made the post i went and checked on my babies - the Perle has now made 2 sprouts, and the Hersbruck is growing more than i expected!

Here are mine just over 7 weeks old. the Gouldings 5'2" and the Chinook is 3'11" but has 2 shoots from the one rhizome.

Left to right both, Chinook and Gouldings.

Hops_web_1.jpg

Chinook_web_1.jpg

Gouldings_web_1.jpg

Any thoughts?

ATOMT

Yeah, the pic of the Mt Hood Leaf is of its immature stage and by now it should look quite different.

Here is a progress pic of my Mt Hood and the Trelis for it to climb:

1__Hop_Oct_06.jpgHop_Trelis.jpg

I'm just going to let it go wild this year and hopefully build up the root stock, it has produced 7 Bines so far but one snaped off and I'm trying to turn it into a second plant ;)

Cheers,

TS

Quick update on mine

Planted 26 Aug 2006
Nugget 2.8m
Mt Hood 2.2m This plant had 1 shoot broken off by kids and the second one got burnt on the security light as it decided to wrap itself around the globe.

Planted 26 Sep 2006
POR No show yet, but marg the rains a comming.

mmmm, can't wait to try wet hopping.

QldKev

My columbus was going great guns until one of the horses took a fancy to the fresh green leaves - found it a fortnight ago lying in the middle of the lawn, so i guess it didn't taste as good as it looked - It's been replanted, but it's not looking very happy :( . fingers crossed it comes good....

cheers Ross

The Scientist - why on earth have you got it in the pot when theres what looks to be a beautifully prepared vegie garden sitting vacant?
Cheers
Steve

A couple of weeks ago Borret was kind enough to send my up a columbus rhizome (hope you enjoyed the beers) which had some new shoots growing. Well after no sign of growth this morning I though it was dead and carefully dug it up for a look... to my surprise it had about 4 thick white shoots growing :) So there is still hope but how long do they normally take to start growing bines?

Cheers
Jye

A couple of weeks ago Borret was kind enough to send my up a columbus rhizome (hope you enjoyed the beers) which had some new shoots growing. Well after no sign of growth this morning I though it was dead and carefully dug it up for a look... to my surprise it had about 4 thick white shoots growing :) So there is still hope but how long do they normally take to start growing bines?

Cheers
Jye

Jye - keep the water up to it and it'll be up in no time.

LukeS,

Only the 2 cuttings that were the tips of the bines survived.

I planted them out about a month ago and haven't checked progress.
I will check and if they are still going I will post a pic.

The Scientist - why on earth have you got it in the pot when theres what looks to be a beautifully prepared vegie garden sitting vacant?
Cheers
Steve

Yeah I thought someone may wonder that :p I move around a lot with work and this way I can move it a lot easier. Also it can't take over the neighbourhood this way (Not that it would be such a bad thing) :lol:

Cheers,

TS

My columbus was going great guns until one of the horses took a fancy to the fresh green leaves - found it a fortnight ago lying in the middle of the lawn, so i guess it didn't taste as good as it looked - It's been replanted, but it's not looking very happy :( . fingers crossed it comes good....

cheers Ross

That's a bit of bad luck Ross, I've given my dog a stern talking to about even going near my hop vine. I think the leaves are poisonous to animals anyway, probably a good thing the horse spat it out.

They are pretty hardy plants, it'll grow back :)

Cheers,

TS

Cheers
Jye

Jye - keep the water up to it and it'll be up in no time.

Glad to hear it's still kicking along Jye. I was a bit worried as the weekend after I sent it to you I was away for a few days and the heat destoryed a few of my other due to lack of water.

Keep the water upto it as suggested and maybe a little seasol if you have it. (..and cross your fingers.) As I said I'll do a warranty replacement if need be ;)

Thanks for the beers. They were lovely. :beer:

Cheers

Brent

Someone was commenting on the variations in Leaves of Hops.

I was thinking of starting a gallery of Hop Leaves and flowers (eventually).

Pics should all be a similar orientation ( eg leaves with tip to bottom and facing flat to camera unluss showing a particular detail. Flowers from the side.

Can anyone add to a gallery or can it be made public?

I was going to start with a "Mt Hood" leaf

View attachment 9374

and then a "Chinook" Leaf.

View attachment 9375

Any thoughts?

ATOMT

I was amazed to see on the weekend that the "Mt Hood" leaves have started coming out exactly the same as the "Chinook" ones. The first foot or so all looked like the one posted above whereas the "Chinnook" were all trifolate (I think that is the term) from the start. It has certainly got me thinking that a gallery of leaf shapes will be far less interesting than I thought.

Hmm. Oh well.

ATOMT

I was amazed to see on the weekend that the "Mt Hood" leaves have started coming out exactly the same as the "Chinook" ones. The first foot or so all looked like the one posted above whereas the "Chinnook" were all trifolate (I think that is the term) from the start. It has certainly got me thinking that a gallery of leaf shapes will be far less interesting than I thought.

Hmm. Oh well.

ATOMT

Yeah, you had me worried for a second. Here I was thinking, "uh oh mine doesn't look like that, what the hell have they sold me" :eek:

Then I looked into it and its all good :lol:

Cheers,

TS

OK these are the pics of the 2 plants that survived winter.

They were tips of the redundant bines when LukeS cut back his Cluster in January.

I have no doubt they will grow well but well wait and see about the harvest that they yield.

hopsA.jpg

hopsB.jpg

Both my plants stopped growing about two weeks ago, haven't grown an inch since. The Wurtemberger is about 2M high and has stopped, doesn't look healthy and has holes chewed in the leaves by bugs. The perle stopped at about 600mm and looks real crook, limp and has lost leaves and let go of the climbing twine and fallen down. Tied it up today, so much for the fast growth in QLD.

Latest posts

Back