2 Pot Stovetop Ag With Lauter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah here's the link, I posted it in the AG Section.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77841-popping-my-ag-cherry-dsga/

Have done 4 batches now, 3 half batches and a attempt at a higher gravity batch to be diluted down, (didn't go completely as planned but I was half cut).

I think the sweet spot for me is 12ltr batches as I can only heat 1 x 19ltr Big W pot on my stove, but I'm looking into going electric and then I can move out of the kitchen and into the garage.

LRG from your video it looked like you had a simular esky to what I have, do you loose much heat from that?

Btw the second brew I had 88% efficiency (my crush is quite fine and I use voile to line the bucket)

edit: efficiency

Nope, none at all. If it is (almost or actually) full, as my last 25L batch was, then it's fine as is.

For smaller batches, I put a sheet/s of alfoil on top of the mash to help with heat retention and to negate any dead space issue in the mash time.

That last one was over 90 minutes and I didn't lose a degree. Woot!

If I ever get the top cut off this legally acquired keg, I'll probably run one batch outside on gas, and one inside on the stove.

This stove works not as well as the previous, but still adequately to get a rolling boil if I mostly put the lid on (but not completely as you get boilovers).

I have altered this method to go two pot with a bag in an insulated esky. Still 25l mash, 13l sparge, the Swiss voile bag drains quicker, but the twopot stovetop method is the same. Saves me time, beers are the same. Hitting good efficiency. Now my bucket Lauter sits under the stairs.
I also bought two induction stove elements, cheap $40 each delivered and find it better than using my electric stove and they work identically add far as when I hit boil, getting to desired temp etc. Highly recommend for apartment brewers.

pickaxe

By the way - induction stove elements get me a better boil than two crap stovetops I've had in the different units I've rented. Nice rolling boil for ad long as I want. Perfect actually.

pickaxe

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Did you ever get around to it, tahoose - the pictorial topic?

I was hoping it was! Good luck on your AG adventures, wherever they may lead you.
Lord Raja I think I have maybe done my first of many boils!! It was only a partial recipe but how exciting!! I did a recipe suggested to me on here with a Coopers Draught tin. With a 25 minute hop boil along with some LDME!! Small but exciting! Any suggestions on a simple first All Grain recipe???? Maybe a pale ale? I'll be using your method with the buckets

Pickaxe said:
I have altered this method to go two pot with a bag in an insulated esky. Still 25l mash, 13l sparge, the Swiss voile bag drains quicker, but the twopot stovetop method is the same. Saves me time, beers are the same. Hitting good efficiency. Now my bucket Lauter sits under the stairs.
I also bought two induction stove elements, cheap $40 each delivered and find it better than using my electric stove and they work identically add far as when I hit boil, getting to desired temp etc. Highly recommend for apartment brewers.

pickaxe

Hey mate are these free standing elements? Any suggestion on where to get them from, a pic would be awesome if you get the chance

A question m' Lord...

I have just discovered this thread and like the idea. I have a 60L SS pot I was going to fit up with an electric element and tap and use for BIAB.
However I see the advantages with this system.
Problem is I can't do it with the one big pot as I need one for heating sparge water while the other captures the first wort.

So what I was thinking- rather than using a couple of 20L buckets, I can get my hands on a couple of 50L plastic tubs (same shape as a fermentor) which I could turn into a lauter.
That way I can pour in my grains and wort from the esky and then add my sparge water all in together and then lauter the whole lot back into my big pot.
But... will this be any good? Will the sparge water mixing with the wort and grain from the esky just dilute it or will this process essentially give me the same result but only using the one large pot that I can then use to boil up without the need for a stove or second pot?

Be keen to hear your thoughts.

Droopy Brew said:
A question m' Lord...

I have just discovered this thread and like the idea. I have a 60L SS pot I was going to fit up with an electric element and tap and use for BIAB.
However I see the advantages with this system.
Problem is I can't do it with the one big pot as I need one for heating sparge water while the other captures the first wort.

So what I was thinking- rather than using a couple of 20L buckets, I can get my hands on a couple of 50L plastic tubs (same shape as a fermentor) which I could turn into a lauter.
That way I can pour in my grains and wort from the esky and then add my sparge water all in together and then lauter the whole lot back into my big pot.
But... will this be any good? Will the sparge water mixing with the wort and grain from the esky just dilute it or will this process essentially give me the same result but only using the one large pot that I can then use to boil up without the need for a stove or second pot?

Be keen to hear your thoughts.
With a 60L pot, some at BIAB.com question sparking at all.. eg.

http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2558

'Guru' Pistol Pete: "...Lars and Bob have got it Yetti
winking0027.gif
. This is actually one of the things in The Misinformation Thread. It's a common question and a good one Yetti as there is a lot of misinformation out there on it. I've written a lot on this over the years but it's all buried away in different posts. Instead of writing a whole lot, what might be more sensible is if I try and dig up some of those buried posts and link them here. (It might help me also see a way of putting the info into a single thread.) [EDIT: Well, I tried
cool0040.gif
]

There's two myths to negate here. The first is sparging increases kettle efficiency. The second, which I've never heard before but you have mentioned, is that it increases quality.

Sparging (or dunking) does not increase quality.

I think the best thing I have written on this aspect would be a little series of stories called "The Sweet Liquor Shop" posts. These explain the different methods of producing sweet liquor and corrects a few myths. Here you will learn the difference between true no-sparging, pure BIAB (passive sparging)and traditional brewing (active sparging) methods.

Sweet Liquor Shop 1
Sweet Liquor Shop 2
Sweet Liquor Shop 3

Sparging (or dunking) does not increase kettle or any other type of efficiency.

This is the most common myth and it is a very hard one to understand psychologically. There are many things which lead us to believe that sparging would wash more 'sugars' out of our grain bed. What's more, you'll constantly read posts on how someone's "efficiency" improved when they sparged. So what's going on here?

Firstly, it is natural to believe that sparging would be better. For example, our clothes in the washing machine are washed and then usually rinsed twice just as a lot of batch spargers do. But, a washing machine is not the same as brewing. The washing machine has a spin cycle before and after each rinse and this makes a big difference. Imagine if your washing machine just let the dirty water drain out. iF you stop and think about it, it actually makes no difference whether you put the total amount of water in to the wash first (as in pure BIAB) or in stages (as with sparging of any sort). If you collected the water that came out of the wash, you would find it to be just as dirty whether the water was added in a single hit or in three stages. In other words, you would still wash the same amount of dirt (sugar) out of the clothes.

The above concept can be a little non-intuitive to get your head around but we also have tested it in real life. THere's a thread on there where I did six side by side brews of active sparging and passive sparging (pure, full-volume BIAB). On average, thee was a 1% difference in kettle efficiency which basically means nothing. It's not the first time I have done side by sides on this.

There's a few erroneous reasons why you'll often see posts that say their efficiency improved with sparging. I just want to cover one here. Imagine a new BIABer had been doing a 60 minute mash (as they are often mistakenly told to do). Imagine then that they do a 60 minute mash followed by a thirty minute dunk while heating their main body of sweet liquor to boiling point. Their efficiency into kettle will go up but not because they are sparging. It is going up because they have increased their mash time - nothing more. If they had just mashed with all their water for 90 minutes, they would have had the same result. Such posts are all variations of this. The numbers are based on a comparison of just two brews and nearly always, something has changed in the process, e.g. the second brew is a ower gravity brew.

In what situations should I sparge?

The only time when it is really appropriate to sparge is when you are unable to full-volume mash and you are doing a very high gravity brew or are wishing to avoid a lot of dilution.

The BIABacus is a great tool, the only tool, that shows you the interplay between grain bill, sparging, dilutions and vessel volumes. The first thing we need to work from is the understanding that if you can fit all your water in the kettle at the start of the mash, then do so because thee is no advantage not to.

If your kettle is not big enough to handle all the water in the beginning, if you do sparge, on a normal gravity brew, after you pull the bag, there's actually not going to be that much room in the kettle to even add much water you actively sparge. So, the question then becomes, "Is it worth an extra heat source and vessel to handle this sparging process to save a bit of grain?" The higher the grain bill, the more likely the answer is to be, "Yes," simply because there will be more space available in the kettle after the bag is pulled. That is the only reason.

So, sparging should be viewed as very much a last resort method.

What else are we missing here Yetti? You or anyone else, please ask any questions you have on this here…"

winking0027.gif

PP

Love the BIABrewer.info guys, but some of them can be a bit evangelical about the method. PP has done more to advance BIAB than many others, but has a "one true way" view of it as well. To each their own.

Truth be told, my method isn't BIAB at all, so it's not a question of 'the true method' for me. Mine is a different method.

A separate bucket in bucket lauter would be great. If you have another pot, where you can heat water on the stove, lauter (which is not the same as sparging at any rate) into the kettle, and use the extra water as sparge water. Or possibly put the initial runnings into your buckets as you said. By doing so, you aren't BIABing, you're running a sort of ghetto 3V type system around your existing equipment, which is what my method sprang from - improvisation, rather than "one right way".

I'm sorry, both as a BIAB brewer and now, sparging increases my efficiency and I prefer it. But in terms of my method, it's moot to bring in BIAB information - as it's not the same method. It'd be like HERMS guys commenting on an aspect of their method in a BIAB thread where that method has no relevance. :)

Either way, you'll make beer, and in the process will learn more about how you did it.

Thanks for the info- will have a good think about both methods again.

I also figured out a way to do it.
Mash in esky
Transfer to normal 20L lauter buckets
Wash out esky then drain first wort into that.
Drop in the pre-heated sparge water
Transfer first wort from esky to pot
Drain sparge water into pot with the first wort
Boil and hop as usual.
Have a HB.

Im not so much thinking efficiency will be improved by this method although Im sure there are arguments for and against, but it does appear this will produce a clearer wort?
Not having to set up a hoist and also risk torn/burnt bags are another positive I see with this method.

Another thing I use is a couple of 9 ltr buckets from bunnings, they are 72c each and have 1-9 litre marks on the inside.

Helps me measure out; how much water I need for strike water, how much I need for sparge water and keep track of how much wort has been put into the kettle.

I use green, you can also use, blue or red or whatever colour you wish.... ;)

Yup. Anything that works.

As has been said on other beginner methods, the idea isn't that this particular, exact method is the important thing. Sure, copy to within a whisker and make beer, but if you do, make sure you continue reading about concepts, methods and theory - you know the stuff that matters, mash temp/step mashing, lautering, sparging, hop additions, yeast health and so on. Don't copy the process like a programmed robot - think, learn, adapt, adjust.

The big thing with this (or the all grain under $30 thread), is that it's about cheap equipment, mostly already available at home, or stuff that, if you get it, will have another use around the house should you need to jettison it. It's about improvising, thrift, being creative with your use of household items and not being scared that, if you don't have the biggest bit of bling, or the cash to grab a $300 urn, you can still brew an AG beer (and thus learn on the job), until you do get the equipment (or not).

As I mentioned to tahoose, if I want to spend money, a new kegging system would be the first cab off the rank, so I can get the beer I'm already brewing into kegs (which saves me time, stress and effort).

I have used a slightly different 2 pot method twice now, and not enjoying it. Mash and boil work fine. I haven't gotten a sparge right yet. My temperatures are always wildly off, due to so much grain and so little water used, and the sparge seems too squished to get enough out. But the biggest pain is chilling 2 pots. It's a difficult part of the night, with time slipping away, and made tougher if you are swapping pots and trying to get everything down to pitching temp in the middle of summer. If you like "no chill", I think the idea is OK though, it just means you've got more work another day. You can definitely get a decent strength brew to 23L in one night's work, with only a mash/sparge vessel, and 2 cheap pots on an existing stove, it's just a tough night in my opinion.

Tonight I'll try out my first single batch BIAB, 45L SS pot, stove top + 2400W element ($195 all up), no sparge. I had a test run last night, and can honestly say everything being bigger is a pain, but had no issues getting the boil or chilling. I expect a little less efficiency with no sparge, so will aim for 20L, and go from there.

I'd have to agree, works well if you no chill. Chilling can be done, I used to freeze blocks of water in the freezer, put it in the sink, get it down to "the side of the pan doesn't burn my hand" and then refill the water in the sink, chucking in the blocks of ice (not in the liquor). I got it down to about 20 minutes worth of work for two pots that way (in BNE summer).

Stuck sparges are one of those things that can happen on any equipment, unfortunately. Ironing that bug out is a mission - sometimes I'll be fine, sometimes I won't. If you have access to milled grain (as opposed to pulverised in a grinder), this will help a considerable amount.

Not sure about your temperature fluctuations - I'm almost always spot on within half a degree. When you factor in strike temp, are you adjusting (I use Brewmate) for the temperature of the grain. My usual ratio is about 3:1 (3L of water for strike per 1kg of grain).

You also touched on the advantage of two pots (such as it is) vs on large batch - it splits the lifting into two smaller bits.

Sorry to hear you've had issues. Don't forget that any system will take a few tries to iron out its idiosyncrasies (hence the multiple threads on Braumeister, BIAB, HERMS, RIMS and the like) - now you've shelled out for some equipment, persist before giving up or buying more.

For most people, this method will 'dip their toes in the water' and they'll move onto bigger equipment, more conventional methods. For me, I'm tight, and I've ironed out a lot of the kinks due to repetition (though still getting the odd stuck sparge).

First time I have seen this thread Goomba. Must say well done. Looks like a great method for an entry level system/setup. I might try this out some time for smaller experimental batches.

Cheers,
Idzy

Bought a 2nd Pot yesterday, so that's another $19 from my AG equipment budget, :p the aim of today is brew 2 x 24 ltr batches and no chill into cubes.

Brewing back to back, it's gonna be a big day....

The aim is, when I get my shiny new kegs in a few weeks, I'll prime them and put them aside for a few weeks while I start building my keezer. Then when my keezer is ready to rock and roll I'll have a couple of kegs ready to go.

JS 150 lashes clone
Nelson Sauvin/Citra Pale Ale

brew 1 mashing now.

Droopy Brew said:
I have a 60L SS pot I was going to fit up with an electric element and tap and use for BIAB.
Droopy - if you have a 60L pot with a decent element then why not just do regulation full volume BIAB. Only the one vessel (your pot) required, plus maybe one of the 50L tubs to allow the remaining sweet liquor to drain from your bag (once pulled from the pot). You do not need sparge water with full volume BIAB. One of the great attractions of BIAB is simplicity and not having lots of vessels and not transferring wort all over the place.

LRG does it his way because he doesn't have a bloody great pot or a way to boil it even if he did.

stm said:
LRG does it his way because he doesn't have a bloody great pot or a way to boil it even if he did.
This.

If you do go down the full BIAB route, you'll likely need something to pull the bag up and your element will need to be up to scratch (and something to cover the element, if you wish to do stepped mash regimes/mash out in the pot).

Without re-opening the sparge vs non-sparge debate (there's enough info here and over the internet on both sides of that debate), you can choose to sparge or not to sparge, based on your existing equipment.

I much prefer lautering over lifting/hoisting bags- but again, this comes down to personal preference - if you note in the first post, I've listed the pros and cons of this method as I see it and have been fair and objective in doing so. However, some things aren't pros/cons - they are just preferences. By lautering, I don't lift bags and I can push this system to its volume limits. This suits me. Another person will prefer the 'one pot' aspect of BIAB.

BIAB was designed around full volume mashing, long mash, no sparge, but as I did it on the stove with these pots, I needed to sparge, as I simply didn't have the space in the pot to push out a full volume as I wanted it, and it required me to do high grav mashing and then sparge to get to the same result, and so the 'one pot' advantage dried up for me.

Again, I'd like to stress, that this isn't a seasoned perfect, solves all problems method. It is simply an improvised method that requires minimal outlay, minimal extra equipment (such as urns, or gas burners or larger pots) whilst still making excellent beer in good quantities (my standard batch is 25L, and I've got 38L from this).

It is foremost a demonstration that with the desire to improvise on and with existing equipment and with not much money, you can get into full volume AG brewing or reallocate funds towards kegging or smoking meat or making salami or whatever, whilst still producing AG, show quality beer.

There are better methods, there are worse methods. There are methods that cost more. This isn't about any method being better than another. Heck, even within BIAB, there are different adjustments within the method that each brewer makes according to preference. None of this is wrong, it is just different.

In the end, it won't matter how good or how bad your equipment is - you need get the basics downpat to produce good beer. And that is equipment-agnostic.

stm said:
Droopy - if you have a 60L pot with a decent element then why not just do regulation full volume BIAB. Only the one vessel (your pot) required, plus maybe one of the 50L tubs to allow the remaining sweet liquor to drain from your bag (once pulled from the pot). You do not need sparge water with full volume BIAB. One of the great attractions of BIAB is simplicity and not having lots of vessels and not transferring wort all over the place.

This is why.
Droopy Brew said:
Im not so much thinking efficiency will be improved by this method although Im sure there are arguments for and against, but it does appear this will produce a clearer wort?
Not having to set up a hoist and also risk torn/burnt bags are another positive I see with this method.
Although that said I am swaying back towards BIAb as well (stalled sparges dont sound fun) . I think initially I am going to use a 3 ring burner I can get my hands on rather than the electric element to see how I go.
All I need to do then is install the stainless BV tap I have into the vessel , buy a Bag for $20 at the HBS and buy a pulley to mount above the work station.
Then I will work on getting an immersion chiller and whirlpool- they look like good bits of gear, adn then a recirc pump looks to be good, and then.....

****- see what you blokes have done to me? Cant say I wasnt warned but!

A good burner is a must for 60L.

I get clearer wort, but then you do have to battle with stuck or at least slow lautering/sparges at times. Anecdotally from my experience, generally the two are mutually inclusive.

It's a bit like hoisting the bag and waiting for it all to drain.

One thing I can do (this works with either method) is just to allow a fairly loose-ish grain bed (or bag), and let the wort clear in the no-chill cube (by the break settling out).

On the What's in the glass threads, you'll notice I'm getting some very clear beers doing this, and if this IPA that I've bottled works out - I reckon I'll have nailed 'hoppy' beers without needing to chill.

Back