2 Pot Stovetop Ag With Lauter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the grinder tips guys. Another soul saved today - my first 11.5 litre AG in mini fermenter in mini fridge tonight. Pretty stoked as the whole time the thing just kept smelling more and more like hot, fresh beer!

colmslie bitter.jpg

Last week I imagined what could be done with the mash esky if you could only put a decent tap on one of them. Well this week in Brisbane Coles have a 55 litres esky on sale half price for $49 - one with a drainage hole that can be unscrewed:
Coles Esky.JPG

Needed a new esky anyway so if all else failed it was not in vain. Then a trip to Craft Brewer to see if they could help with a tap and they sure could:

Craftbrewer tap.JPG

CB dude helped me to make sure plumbing snugly attached to esky without any drilling - some plumbers tape should be all that is required for my new mash and lauter tun for under $100:

Esky with tap.JPG

Now to find something that can be used as a grated false floor above tap level but in the interim I can sit the grain bag on a cake rack to lift it above tap height.

The ball valve tap was $19.95 - they had a cheaper one but this one looked stronger/more durable. All up the plumbing side, including a length of silicone hose came to $45.50. Another $6 investment at Woolies was this cooling rack that fits the inside of the esky like a glove:

Cooling rack.JPG

I've been using LRG's ghetto method for a bit over a year now (slightly tweaked), and just want to recommend it to those considering getting into the game. I've had plans to upgrade and take it out of the kitchen, but to be honest, its working fine for my situation, so I've just carried on.

For me, this was the method that 'clicked' and seemed easily attainable. Sure it's not perfect, but I've found I can produce some fantastic beers and get a brew day done within about 4 hours on average (no chill). Entered a few brews in VicBrew this year (first comp and they weren't even my best tbh) and my stout came 6th and Pilsner came 13th even when I entered it in the wrong sub-category.

Just want to say thanks to LRG for the thread and also for answering some questions I had recently about getting two different beers done in the one sitting. On Sunday, I managed to push the system to the max and ended up with two cubes of 1056 wort that I've diluted down a little to get two full kegs worth of APA. Steeping the speciality grains separately allowed me to produce two different beers as well.

Anyone else still rocking this method or a version of? Any more success stories?

Great to hear a success story lobedogg - it was all about attainability for me too. After reading some of the works of Nick JD, BribieG and our good Lord himself suddenly the Latin-chanting and Hardware megaspends stopped clouding the periphery of vision and I could see how you could make real beer with mostly the shit you had laying around the house. I've learned a lot from each brew and have only just started to enjoy drinking the spoils. I think that these three gentlemen got me out of the Kit Brewing comfort zone a good six to twelve months earlier than I would otherwise have left it.

Just want to say to say thanks to the Lord for this thread, an easy way to AG, getting 65 to 70% efficiency which will do me but the best thing is the final product, good beer!

Latest posts

Back