2 Pot Stovetop Ag With Lauter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Still don't want to have four burners on full, blasting away for 30 mins (or whatever it would take) and then not really do anything with the 60L of water. Yes, I could do washing with it but I'd prefer to just 'test' it when I have the grain.

I'm definitely going to try this method.

Have 1 20L pot already. Have esky already. I reckon this is worth a sticky.

Over summer when I have time off I'll have a crack.

I am getting my fermentation, hops and yeast techniques down pat first.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Don't wait until summer!!
I have a few kits to get through. I have had some really good brews with kits.

Time poor atm.

*edit SWMBO hacked me. :)

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Don't wait until summer!!
I have a collection of 3x 10L food grade buckets. I have 2 lids also which make a tight seal. So I could make a 10L fermenter and a lauter tun. I have a 19L pot and a gas stove which has big and little burners. I could stove top mash, lauter/sparge then back into pot for a boil. If I got a thermometer do I have enough stuff to make 10L batches?

Pretty much all you need. It won't be fantastic in terms of time and effort but it will get you started. From there you can decide which way to go and it hasn't cost you much to try.

Add a hydrometer and a bottling wand (or other way to go from fermenter to bottle) and you would be fine to brew and bottle into PET bottles.

Don't worry about the lid on the fermenter, just use glad wrap.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Pretty much all you need. It won't be fantastic in terms of time and effort but it will get you started. From there you can decide which way to go and it hasn't cost you much to try.
I had thought that if I gear up with this kit, I could experiment with recipes without going to full volume. Gives me enough to evaluate and get opinions on from others before trying it full volume.

I would also do small volumes of Xtra IPA or RIS as I don't drink lots of these but do get a hankering from time to time.

pedleyr said:
Add a hydrometer and a bottling wand (or other way to go from fermenter to bottle) and you would be fine to brew and bottle into PET bottles.

Don't worry about the lid on the fermenter, just use glad wrap.
I have all the gear from a Coopers DIY kit already. Just wondering about gearing up for small batch brewing.

Cheers.

In that case mate you're fine. I started out doing 11 litre batches on my stove, was good to get the feel of it. I always used full sized fermenters though, never bothered with smaller ones, so use your Cooper's one.

You can basically do 12 ltr batches going on what you have, I work on about 12 Ltrs per 19ltr pot.

I started on one pot and am now on 2 pots. 24 Ltrs per batch with little extra effort makes me happy.

Tahoose said:
You can basically do 12 ltr batches going on what you have, I work on about 12 Ltrs per 19ltr pot.

I started on one pot and am now on 2 pots. 24 Ltrs per batch with little extra effort makes me happy.
What I have been thinking is that with small batches I can muti-step mash right on the stove top.

But with full batches I'm going to have to eski mash.

I can stretch to another big W 19L pot. But to buy a full volume pot will stretch the budget....... or invoke the disapproval of SWMBO.

I did use to do full sized BIAB in the pots. Got about 20L from doing so (I just bought a couple of pieces of swiss voile from spotlight on special).

That will get around the multi-step mash problem.

As I mentioned in the 2 pot stovetop thread - the method isn't about "this is the right way" but more "given my equipment and limitations, what can I get to do this well" - it's primarily about utilising what one already has and improvising. Use what you have/can get/can affford and work around it.

I generally don't step mash with this method - decoction is pretty easy as is mashing out. But a couple of bits of voile should circumvent this limitation.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I did use to do full sized BIAB in the pots. Got about 20L from doing so (I just bought a couple of pieces of swiss voile from spotlight on special).

That will get around the multi-step mash problem.

As I mentioned in the 2 pot stovetop thread - the method isn't about "this is the right way" but more "given my equipment and limitations, what can I get to do this well" - it's primarily about utilising what one already has and improvising. Use what you have/can get/can affford and work around it.

I generally don't step mash with this method - decoction is pretty easy as is mashing out. But a couple of bits of voile should circumvent this limitation.
Hmmm food for thought.

How "required" is step mashing for a pale ale?

I do this and step mash regularly, just do infusions of boiling water into the esky.

3 in one year - my first from 5 beers and would have been 4 if I hadn't entered one in the wrong category (according to a judge who won amateur and professional awards). Not had the ability to enter since because up to this year, Tassie hasn't had had a comp.

I'm not saying it'll apply to all styles but it did to the ones I did.

My house beer is APA and AIPA. So yeah, it can be done as a single infusion.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
3 in one year - my first from 5 beers and would have been 4 if I hadn't entered one in the wrong category (according to a judge who won amateur and professional awards). Not had the ability to enter since because up to this year, Tassie hasn't had had a comp.

I'm not saying it'll apply to all styles but it did to the ones I did.

My house beer is APA and AIPA. So yeah, it can be done as a single infusion.

Wow that's impressive!! I'd live to enter a comp... Maybe one year I'll work up to it. Just did my first BIAB two weeks ago hopefully bottle this week I can't wait!! Dare I ask for a good recipe of yours??? If not it's all good

Latest posts

Back