2 Magnetig Stir-bar Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing, don't get stir bars with the rib in the middle....they will rattle and drive you crazy if you are anywhere near them. :(

Cheers,
Bud

I bought one of these and true the noise is a pain, but as my stir plate like all my brewing stuff is banished to the garage I don't find it an issue. On the positive site the ribbed stir bar works well in a flask that has a slightly concave base as a lot of the cheaper ones do.

For the stir plate itself I followed these instructions, cost me almost nothing to make, just used the cheap magnets from Jaycar and it works great.

Cheers Stu

ok, I ve decided to make one of these things - my question is when ive made it, what is it used for?

is it to put yeast into warm water before adding to wort?

MAUOMBO

ok, I ve decided to make one of these things - my question is when ive made it, what is it used for?
MAUOMBO

On what basis did you decide to make one of these if you don't know what they are used for???

to stir the yeast, but being new - I was not sure...

so I asked

am I right?

MAUOBO

to stir the yeast, but being new - I was not sure...

so I asked

am I right?

MAUOBO

Well, yes, you do stir the yeast.

But it is for making starters with yeast, or growing more yeast before pitching.

We make slants, so we start a yeast for a brew with very few yeast cells. We feed them
and stir them. It can be done by just giving the flask a swirl now and again, but it is faster if left to stir while they multiply.

If you are using packaged kit yeast you don't need to put them in warm water and stir them as you don't need to grow them up for use.

So, if you are not going to farm your yeast, you don't need one.

Cheers,
Bud

ah, ok - so if im buying the yeast i need for a batch, there is no need for one

thanks a lot, I thought I might need to stir if I bought the dry yeast and wanted it to start going before adding to the wort (as opposed to buying liquid yeast)

I think now it is only necessary to add to water give a little stir and then just add to wort, no need to complicate things

thanks for your help

MAUOMBO

Edit, I think the term I am groping for is making a yeast starter

Well, yes, you do stir the yeast.

But it is for making starters with yeast, or growing more yeast before pitching.

We make slants, so we start a yeast for a brew with very few yeast cells. We feed them
and stir them. It can be done by just giving the flask a swirl now and again, but it is faster if left to stir while they multiply.

If you are using packaged kit yeast you don't need to put them in warm water and stir them as you don't need to grow them up for use.

So, if you are not going to farm your yeast, you don't need one.

Cheers,
Bud

Good explanation but not quite correct.

You can split a Wyeast pack into (e.g. -- 10 small starters) & then use your stir plate to build them up individually thus getting good value for money.

TP

PS --- You can also use your stir plate to make a number of starters from your (Farmed) original dry yeast sachet after fermentation is complete & also stir your Polyclar with it.

I think now it is only necessary to add to water give a little stir and then just add to wort, no need to complicate things

thanks for your help

MAUOMBO

If you buy dry yeast other than the stuff that comes in a kit you will have to re-hydrate it, just follow the directions. If there are no directions than look up the yeast on CraftBrewer site and it will tell you how to deal with it.

If you use yeast that comes with a kit, just chuck it in...you can stir it in or just let it float on top....nothing seems to matter. It will work.

Cheers,
Bud

Back