1st Dark Ale Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
But here is the recipie at current...

x1 Can Coopers Dark Ale
x1 Can Coopers Wheat Malt
150g Dark Crystal Grain
150g Caramunich 1
5g Perle Hops @ 30 min
15g Cascade @ 5 min

Nottingham Ale Yeast

23L water

I thought i'd add the dark crystal and caramunich instead of chocolate or black malt, is this ohk? also I like using wheat in my beers for a nice big head and for general flavour, anyone see a problem with this in a dark ale?

Never used caramunich in a dark ale before but sounds interesting. The only thing I'd change is the cascade, willamette goes really well with the dark ale kit, I use it almost all the time I make this kit, usually about 30g. Never used pearl but I you wont get much from 5g, just a little bitterness.

+1 homebrewer 79

you will only get about 3 IBU's from 5 g of perle @30min, and the hweat malt is unhopped as well, so you really only relying on the bitterness from the dark ale kit and your 5g of perle. I would maybe up it to at least 20g if possible, and the cascade added late will give your beer a citrus flavour / aroma, not sure that will go well in dark ale.

Perle: Moderately intense, good and hoppy, fruity and a little spicy.

Thinkin maybe change hop boil to..

10g Perle @ 5 min
10g Cascade @ 5 min

or just 20g Perle @ 5 min

just for aroma really, i love citrusy aromatics in beer, but if people rekon its not a good idea i've got plenty of perle which seems to fit in much better! BTW going for about 34IBU here, Don't want it too bitter, The Coopers Dark ale goo is 32.1 IBU as is so only late hop additions for this beery!

Personally I don't think I'd find those hops very nice in a dark ale, but if that's what your after see how you go and lets us know how it comes up. Also bear in mind that the crystal malts will add some sweetness, so whilst it'll still be 35 odd IBU, you may not notice it much.

Personally I don't think I'd find those hops very nice in a dark ale, but if that's what your after see how you go and lets us know how it comes up. Also bear in mind that the crystal malts will add some sweetness, so whilst it'll still be 35 odd IBU, you may not notice it much.

Cheers I'll up the IBU's a little i then i rekon, you dont rekon 300g of crystal is too much though?

Maybe back it off to 100g of each to be sure, I think it'll be fine though, just depends on personal tastes really. My dark ale recipe uses 300g of choc malt and it comes up fine

Cheers heaps for the feedback guys will take into account ur words of wisdom! Will get back to ya when have laid this lil baby down!

When using most kits I would avoid any bittering additions and just hop for aroma. A great hop for dark ales is Styrian Goldings, say 30g for 15 minutes - or even just tip pellets into the fermenter after three or four days of fermentation.

how would an exta 800g dex go with this btw, bump up alcohol ontent to %7, good idea?...or BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!? lol, just thinkin i havent made a higher alc. beer before!

drop the crystal back to 50 - 75g of each, it doesnt go as well in kits as ag

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='580809' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:18 PM']drop the crystal back to 50 - 75g of each, it doesnt go as well in kits as ag[/quote]

well i've used 250g on two lighter coloured beers before and they turned out great, surely 300g wouldn't be much difference i'll take it back to 125g for each crystal grain ay, just to stay safe, colour will still be right on spot for me really, bout 48.2 EBC.

PS. I havent really heard of this before can someone else verify, sorry mate just seems like a massive drop to 50g or 75g, i've bought a couple Kg of spec. grain to use in my beers and i look forward to tasting the difference you know.

50 - 75 of each still comes to 100 - 150g of crystal overall which is still a decent addition for a kit brew. crystal, when used with kits can cause a beer to become abit syrupy if used in excess. I personally prefer crystal for ag, and use liq wheat malt for better head ret'n in kits, but whatever tickles your fancy is the name of the game in hb'ing, so if it worked for you before then happy brewing

Expanding on what rack'em up has suggested, why not put ins ome choc? I know you said you were using crystal instead but why not as well? it will just add a touch of complexity. Could also try chocolate wheat although I am only assuming this is ok to steep.
Someone may need to confirm. I can't find information to the contrary on the weyerman website though.

As for dex - I don't think a touch in extract brews is a bad thing as it can balance the sweetness with a bit of dryness but I'd limit it to 500g or less. Don't just add it in because you want to boost ABV - that's a good way to make crap beer.

Anyone got an AG recipe close to White Rabbit Dark Ale. Had a pint the other day. first Dark Ale in a while. Memories came flooding back.

Worked in a pub (RE) for about 6 years through uni... every night we used to have knock off with a 7 of Old. So drinking something dark again brought back those feelings of relaxation.

Suggestions anyone?? Anything in the Database??

Back