1st Brew - Last Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMc

Reaction score
Just sat with the last bottle from my first ever brew. Its been bottled since 5th Jan, I first tried it around 12th to 14th Jan and have had a few here and there since, all I can say is 9-10 more weeks in the bottle has helped emensely.

So to all you new brewers out there, patience is a virtue and 1 fermentor is not enough. I now plan to get my 2nd fermentor in the next few weeks, and will also be masively adding to my tallie collection.

Two fermenters is the key to finding your 'sweet spot' in taste/brews. It is a sport of at least 3 weeks before taste. Within that 3 weeks three more brews can be ( two preferably ) made and NO improvements to YOUR taste can be made because of the wait for the initial brew to taste.

I'm now a month from pitching yeast until the brew hits a bottle(ing) and then add 3 weeks to carb up ( gelatine and polyclar = more carb time ) so it was VERY important for me to have two fermenters to find what I like back then. So average 7 weeks or more before I even taste my beer. Without my initial 'two fermenters' pumping out the beer to start with I wouldn't be drinking what I am now. And that's beer that I LIKE.

Now it's one brew always fermenting for two weeks whilst one is clearing in the fridge and previous brews being drunk and maturing/carbing.

Just sat with the last bottle from my first ever brew. Its been bottled since 5th Jan, I first tried it around 12th to 14th Jan and have had a few here and there since, all I can say is 9-10 more weeks in the bottle has helped emensely.

So to all you new brewers out there, patience is a virtue and 1 fermentor is not enough. I now plan to get my 2nd fermentor in the next few weeks, and will also be masively adding to my tallie collection.

lol - I remember back in the good ol days when I only had one fermentor too. I was fermenting from start to finish in a week at the time. Along come fermentor number 2 to be used for catch ups. Then I got a fermenting fridge and found a whole new world of homebrew quality. So 2 fermentors running for 2 weeks to a brew (normal Ale = 1 week @18, 2 days @22, 5 days @2). I needed a 3rd fermentor for catchups. So the obsession goes.

You will find different beers age differently. I prefer my IPAs young, general ALEs with a few weeks on them, higher alcohol / stouts are normally best aged for months.

QldKev

I'm up to 2 30L & a 60L fermenter, about 25 dozen longnecks, I don't know how many crown seal stubbies. Once I can get my hands on another free fridge there will be kegs. It doesn't take long before it can start getting a bit silly.

It doesn't take long at all...

I started when my mates got me a 30L feremeter for my Bday in novemeber now I've got 3x30L and 2x60L.

Luckily enough I live in tassie and my spare room is now a dedicated brewery and keeping it around 17 degrees is easy!

kegs is a medium term plan. happy with bottles for now, they are easy to store in the bottom of the laundry cupboard, and its easy to fit 6 at a time in to the fridge. Problem at the minute is this rental does not have a space for the big american style fridge in the kitchen, so my little beer fridge is in the kitchen with everyday stuff like milk/cheese/butter/pop in it and I am sharing the big fridge in the garage with the main food for the house....

I don't think my brewing is excuse enough to move...Once we have our own place I'll have a chest freezer setup like the rest of you.

The other advantages of bottles is that they're more portable & you can buy them with beer already in them. It's a good way to try some different beers in the process of building a bottle collection.

Latest posts

Back