140l Aluminium Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvdp

Reaction score
Hi Again,

At the risk of discovering that I didn't get that good a deal, I thought I'd share my stockpot purchase. I know from searching these forums that big pots can be hard to find at a reasonable price. I also know that Allquip sell the same size pot for cheaper, though they don't currently have any of the 140L variety in stock, and the freight to Melbourne wipes out the savings.

Anyway, I scored a 140L Aluminium pot for $194 from one of the variety stores in Footscray. This is the biggest they sell, but they also have a variety of smaller ones, plus some reasonably big SS ones (up to $700 worth!). The pot itself is Chef Inox brand, or at least claims to be, I can't find this particular pot on their website. By my measurements it's actually only 132L, but I'm still hoping to squeeze 100L batches out of it. The walls are about 6mm at the top, tapering down to ~4mm just below the rim. They have one left in case anyone is interested, I don't know what the place is called (it doesn't seem to have a name), but it's here. No affiliation, etc, etc.

Now to get all the fittings to plumb everything together at sort out a reasonable sized false bottom so I can get the new rig fired up.

Hope this helps someone.

Matt

IMGP9462.JPG

IMGP9463.JPG

IMGP9464.JPG

IMGP9466.JPG

I use a 40 L chef inox for my HLT and I bought a 20 L one yesterday to use as a smoker.

Good quality, 4mm pots for a good price. I don't think you'll regret the purchase. I got mine at Cedar Hospitality in Brunswick.

By my measurements it's actually only 132L
Don't you hate that? my 50L is 44L by measurement and it puts limits on the size of my grainbill for BIAB, what a PITA.

Manticle, thanks for the feedback.

Felten, PITA indeed. Also a bit of a scam, what if you bought two litres of milk from the supermarket but the carton only had 1.75L?

Nice one dude, I have the exact same sized pot, i think its a trenton though. I got mine from allquip, but off their ebay seller. His name is Haryy609, or something like that. Mine cost me $150 for the pot and then $57 for delivery, so $207 all up. If you lived near the warehouse you'd be laughing!

I haven't even fired mine up yet, been so far ahead in my brewing that i've only been doing single batches, i think i need to start drinking more!

Also, check out this thread. If you get some voille and a siphon you could be brewing tomorrow!
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=52148 This is what i'll be doing when i get my rig fired up.

Nice one dude, I have the exact same sized pot, i think its a trenton though. I got mine from allquip, but off their ebay seller. His name is Haryy609, or something like that. Mine cost me $150 for the pot and then $57 for delivery, so $207 all up. If you lived near the warehouse you'd be laughing!

I haven't even fired mine up yet, been so far ahead in my brewing that i've only been doing single batches, i think i need to start drinking more!

Yep, he was the guy I dealt with at Allquip, though his name was actually Paul! He was quite responsive and offered to do me the eBay price on the 140L even though there was no eBay ad for it going at the time. I think it was going to come to $212 inc. freight, but it turned out they had none left in stock.

I wish I had the same production rate problem. I'm doing single batches nearly every weekend and I can't keep the fridge full, hence the significant brewery upsize!

Thats the guy. I thought his name would have been harry too, but it was Paul. Great guy, really easy to deal with.

You won't have production problems once you get that bad boy up and running. Are you going 3V or Big BIAB?

Yep, he was the guy I dealt with at Allquip, though his name was actually Paul! He was quite responsive and offered to do me the eBay price on the 140L even though there was no eBay ad for it going at the time. I think it was going to come to $212 inc. freight, but it turned out they had none left in stock.

I wish I had the same production rate problem. I'm doing single batches nearly every weekend and I can't keep the fridge full, hence the significant brewery upsize!

You won't have production problems once you get that bad boy up and running. Are you going 3V or Big BIAB?

3V, sticking with what I know. Got a 100L esky from Techni Ice and I'm going to add a flow valve to my 30L urn to keep using it as a HLT. Aside from tons of fittings, the only major bits of kit I'm missing now are a couple of big fermenters and a nice big false bottom for the esky.

3V, sticking with what I know. Got a 100L esky from Techni Ice and I'm going to add a flow valve to my 30L urn to keep using it as a HLT. Aside from tons of fittings, the only major bits of kit I'm missing now are a couple of big fermenters and a nice big false bottom for the esky.

Remember that Crown Concepts has 60L fermenters for around $24 if I am not mistaken. Let me know if you'll be needing some. Happy to drop some off when I am in Sunshine next (there fairly often).

R

Remember that Crown Concepts has 60L fermenters for around $24 if I am not mistaken. Let me know if you'll be needing some. Happy to drop some off when I am in Sunshine next (there fairly often).

R

Good tip thanks, I didn't know about them. You wouldn't happen to know what their dimensions are? Got to work out if they'll fit in the fermenting fridges I've got lined up.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back