1272 Yeast In Jar ...pic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
This Jar of 1272 all American yeast is from the trub of the lastest brew that has been in the fridge for 2 days now. Can somebody let me know which part is the yeast
2009_11_14_0972.JPG

1: Is it the froth around the 500ml make?
2: Is it fine layer of white around the 250ml mark?

regards jeddog

the thin white strip in the middle. under that probably has a bit of yeast, but is mostly trub, dead yeast, proteins and other shit, above that is beer.

You will find the very top stuff is yeast that is very non flocculant so get rid of that by doing a yeast wash, this will also remove a greater part of the trub.You need to add more distilled water to get it to seperate well.Bit of effort but worth the time.
GB

Sammus,
What's the best way to seperate the layers to harvest the yeast?

A dip tube, basically you want to harvest the white layer of yeast, a quick suction job would do the trick. You could make one of your own up with the body of a bic biro and some 8mm beer line.

That or a centrifuge, but not everyone has access to one of them.

*edit - spelling

sticky in this section :)
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...?showtopic=3697

Basically it involves having 2 sterile jars, or just one extra in your case. shake it, let it settle for a few minutes, pour off 3/4 or so into the clear jar, top up with distilled water, shake, let settle for a bit while cleaning/sanitising the original jar, pour 2/3 back into the first jar, top up with water, repeat a bunch of times and you end up with a milky liquid you can stick in the fridge and let it settle out and change the water on top every now and then.

Works pretty well, I'm not sure exactly what I was doing wrong at first, but it took me a few goes to get it to work properly.

I think the basic assumption with this method is that the trub and crap settle out quicker than the yeast, so you kinda let it separate a bit then pour off the goodness that hasnt separated and repeat.

the thin white strip in the middle. under that probably has a bit of yeast, but is mostly trub, dead yeast, proteins and other shit, above that is beer.

+1 What he says above!

Sammus,
What's the best way to seperate the layers to harvest the yeast?

Use a sanitised length of beerline or pvc hose to siphon off the liquid above, toss it then recover the good white healthy yeast layer. Toss the rest.

A dip tube, basically you want to harvest the white layer of yeast, a quick suction job would do the trick. You could make one of your own up with the body of a bic biro and some 8mm beer line.

That or a centrifuge, but not everyone has access to one of them.

*edit - spelling

There you go, another one who does it the same way as I do.

Screwy

What do you want to do with the yeast - if you're going to pitch it again in the next fortnight, then I'd just leave it alone. Pour off the non-flocculant yeast on top, and the beer, then pitch a measured amount of the yeast/trub mix. The MrMalty calculator takes into account non-yeast percentage when repitching from trub.

If you want to store the yeast longer than a fortnight, then I'd clean it up and separate it more. Then you can use that clean yeast in a starter.

There you go, another one who does it the same way as I do.

Nah Screwy, I don't do it that way, but would if I needed to do it at home. I was just utilising my "I no longer work as a bench microbiologist" knowledge.

Personally I'd be all for a bit of time on a centrifuge (to get the right cell mass), a Class II Biohazard hood (to keep away the nasties), a flame or heat source (bunsen burner will do), an 1000uL Eppendorf pipette, some sterile pipette tips and a tray of Microbank vials, all that and the -80 degree C freezer to store it all in :)

Good thread!

I really should try washing my yeast.

Getting gid of the bad stuff cant be a bad thing.

cheers

pita though, i just make up a bunch of slants whenever i plan to use it once, then build it up and pitch from there. can never be assed recycling the trub from a whole batch.

pita though, i just make up a bunch of slants whenever i plan to use it once, then build it up and pitch from there. can never be assed recycling the trub from a whole batch.

Yeah i have taken to splitting the smacked pack into 3 or 4 and then just growing these in a starter and using once.

Mutation, infection, etc etc.....as too much risk with 50 liter batches. Washing sounds like a bit of a risk but worth it if your re-using the trub from a brew.

I have kept a bit of yeast slurry from a brew and just chucked it back in the next with great results many many times over the years, but reusing to many times tends to bring out the bads in the yeast........ washing would help this if done properly i guess.

And with all the super cheap yeast around these days....... why would you reuses dead yeast?

its under $10 :)

Latest posts

Back