• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

117 Liter Stainless Boiler For Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watertrade

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I will be listing a 117 liter stainless pot for sale on ebay sometime in the near future. ( just need to figure out a ballpark price) I got this 2nd hand through good fortune but figure I dont really need a pot so big. ( I may regret saying that one day! )

It is a commercial quality pot that has never been used ( as far as I can tell ) other than storage. ( there is food caked on the bottom) It has good welded handles and a 1 inch threaded drain.

Its in great condition except for s small amount of what I think is rust on the welds on the inside of the pot. ( it could be food but I dont want to climb in for a close look. I have taken pictures before and after a quick scrub with wire wool Im sure with a wire brush it could be cleaned up nicely. It also comes half clean, I cleaned one side of it for pics.

I thought you guys would like to know about it.

Pick up from Canberra - I can hold onto it as long as you need.

more pics here

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/WATERTRADE/boiler/

Cheers

Jim

IMG_0447.jpg

I'm looking at getting into kegging so may be up for a swap for some gear too.

If there is rust on the welds it probably not a stainless weld. Which means it cab have lead etc in the weld and you'd expose ur beer to it. Not good.

Ashame to ruin such a good pot. You coul have easily used it for a tun also.

If there is rust on the welds it probably not a stainless weld. Which means it cab have lead etc in the weld and you'd expose ur beer to it. Not good.

Ashame to ruin such a good pot. You coul have easily used it for a tun also.

I will go stick my head in there and have a closer look :lol:

I will go stick my head in there and have a closer look :lol:
Check it out cause if it ain't rust it's a great pot. And there's no such thing as too big. My kettle is jut under 100l
And it gets used well. I'd happily have a bigger kettle. I kust need a bigger tun as 50L is good, but bigger is better

Thats a nice bit of gear

I have PMed the OP wishing to purchase this pot, I feel that he is not sure on what it is worth, and either am I, but I am open to any fair price. On the outside the pot looks of commercial quality but on the inside it looks to be mig welded. Im not so concerned about this as Im looking to install an internal RIMS and will be modifying the complete lower or bottom section .

So any ideas on what would be a fair price for this?

Cheers. gregs.

mmmmmm i wouldnt mind getting my hands on this also!

Tony, Im waiting on a price from the OP so dont give up hope.

well, I climbed in and it does appear to have surface rust on the welds, but I have seen rust on stainless before, so is there any other way of checking if the welds have lead?

To be honest I'm not too worried about the welds containing lead, it came from a large commercial kitchen and if its safe for acidic foods.... it must be safe for wort .. right ? ;) (although I don't worry too much about this kind of stuff. )

Gregs is right, I don't know how much its worth ( guessing I'm the OP ) would like to hear your thoughts too.

cheers

Jim

Yeah, come on guys, what do you think this pot is worth?

well, I climbed in and it does appear to have surface rust on the welds, but I have seen rust on stainless before, so is there any other way of checking if the welds have lead?

To be honest I'm not too worried about the welds containing lead, it came from a large commercial kitchen and if its safe for acidic foods.... it must be safe for wort .. right ? ;) (although I don't worry too much about this kind of stuff. )

Gregs is right, I don't know how much its worth ( guessing I'm the OP ) would like to hear your thoughts too.

cheers

Jim

I've been an aircraft sheetmetal worker since 96 and I've never heard about stainless welding using lead so I'd ignore that. If the kettle was not purged of oxygen when it was welded then some oxygen will have been absorbed into the metal when it was welded. I'd bet it will be fine when cleaned up with some scotchbrite.

cheers

Browndog

I'd venture to suggest about $350-$400 for a pot like that.

I havent received a reply on price for this item as yet, I am unable to be on line tonight but will check in early in the morning, re around 5.00 am to see how this is going.

gregs.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Gregs, don't worry I won't sell it before the end of the weekend. ;) and it will probably go onto ebay.

Screwy, sorry, I don't have the tools to measure it and couldn't get a good look at the edge as they are rolled and tucked under the top edge.

I've been an aircraft sheetmetal worker since 96 and I've never heard about stainless welding using lead so I'd ignore that. If the kettle was not purged of oxygen when it was welded then some oxygen will have been absorbed into the metal when it was welded. I'd bet it will be fine when cleaned up with some scotchbrite.

cheers

Browndog
No one said stainlss weld used lead, I said if it's rust then it prob isn't a stainless weld. If its not a stainless weld then it could be normal flux which has lead etc. Or it could be as u said and just not a clean weld. The photobucket pic didnt look like a clean proffesional weld. Clean enough but no seemless. Read the whole thread mate.

What's odd is it's welded at all. Commercial pots should be single piece of metal. I've got a big 40l commercial stock pot and its similar. I worked in kitchens for over 6 years and been in commercial kitchems sibce i was 8 as the old man is a chef.

Anyways if I assumed it was a commercial pot, that size, new, yup I would be thinking $300 easy for good stainless. Looks like 4mm base and 3mm walls. If it is, it's top shit

I'd certainly be tempted if I could be sure it was safe. It's a good size and looks the goods.

but on the inside it looks to be mig welded.

from the pic of the inside i saw it looks like unpurged tig to me, if it were me i'd be cleaning that weld and running another fillet over the top just to tidy it up, but as you're going to install a RIMS etc just re-passivate it if you buy it.

Dave

Back