10g of US-05 too much for 12l batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyDoesntKnow

Reaction score
I've done 2 mini biab now, end up with 12-13l in the fermenter. Still got some efficiency issues to work out, both brews have ended up about 10 points short of expected gravity but the 10g pack of us-05 I have pitched dry has fermented out pretty quickly and finished 6 points lower than expected both times. Am I using too much yeast for a small batch and that's why the beers are finishing lower than expected? The other issue is the size of the yeast cake when it comes time to bottle. I cold crash for 4-5 days but don't rack to a secondary vessel for bottling, mainly because I don't have one. Trying to bottle I still end up with a fair bit of yeast due to the cake being so close to fermenter tap. Wondering if I should just half the packet of yeast and keep it in the fridge for next time?

Sounds like a healthy ferment to me. How low are you getting and what's the expected fg?

Ingredients and mash temp and time are also useful details.

I normally use a full package of dry yeast (US05) for 12L too. Rehydrated. Seems to work okay.

Have you got a couple large pots? Just syphon off the beer into the pots (sanitised) and fill your bottles using a funnel. Give the tap a miss.

A day or two before bottling, put a piece of 2x4 under the tap side of the fermented. This will make the yeast cake slide away from the tap.

Pratty1 said:
A day or two before bottling, put a piece of 2x4 under the tap side of the fermented. This will make the yeast cake slide away from the tap.
Cheers I had thought of that but due to limited space in the laundry where my ferment fridge sits, I've avoided trying to bottle in there. I've got some silicon hose I can attach to the tap to give me a bit more room I guess, probably the best option for now. Both brews have been majority JW pilsner malt with a small amount of a few specialty malts. One was a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone and the other a Dr Smurto golden ale. Both expected to finish around 1012 and 1010 but went to 1006 and 1004. Probably worrying about nothing, at the end of the day both had big healthy ferments and taste pretty good. Will just have make it work with the gear I've got for now.

Latest posts

Back