100 Pubs In Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homekegger1

Reaction score
Well I have lived in Adelaide for over 2 yrs now and have had the pleasure of visiting many pubs along the way. One thing I have noticed is the amount of pubs that Adelaide has to offer. In my time here I have been very lucky to visit many many pubs. But now that I know my time is limited, it is now my goal to visit at least another 100 pubs before I depart at x-mas time.

Now I have visited all the major hotspots in Adelaide that I can think of.

The Wheatie
The Belgium
The Bar on Gouger
Lobethal
Grumpies
Steam Exchange
and about a hundred others.

So I am after suggestions of places I can visit that has either, out of the way beers or is actually a good place to go for a beer.

Today I knocked another 4 off the list just travelling home. Non were spectacular, But I was a first time visitor and the last one, I did win $180 on the pokies, so that was a good stop.

Any suggestions are welcomed, although I may have visited them prior, and just not noted it here.

I guess I can't leave a pub state without giving it a full on go I guess.

Cheers and many beers

HK

The Kings Head (corner King William St and Sturt St)

They have SA beers by:
  • Coopers
  • Lobethal Bierhaus
  • Gulf Brewery
  • Steam Exchange
  • Barossa Brewing Company

They need to add the Bree Boys to their list.

Cheers
MAH

Norwood Hotel has newcastle brown on tap... so hard to get on-tap in NSW unless you drive to albury... I live in Sydney.. too far... just for beer? :s

Try the Daniel O'Connell at Tynte St North Adelaide, they pour an excellent Guinness. Nothing rare or too fancy about that but nowhere else in Adelaide can you get as good a pint of it. Cheers.

Excluding the aforementioned, the Grace Emily on Waymouth St would have to be my favourite pub in Adelaide by a mile.

Hi

I used to live in Preston UK population about 100,000 when I was a student. When I first went there in 1965 there was a pub for every day of the year.

Managed to visit over 200 during my student days, good luck with your plans

Brew Boys near Regency Park.

Earl of Liecester in Parkside has a large range of bottled beers including some nice stouts... (I still prefer a HB at home though!)

Norwood Hotel has newcastle brown on tap... so hard to get on-tap in NSW unless you drive to albury... I live in Sydney.. too far... just for beer? :s
P.J. O'Briens (East Tce, City) have (had?) Newcastle Brown on tap for quite a while, much to the delight of (let me get this right...) my wife's cousin's fiance - when they came over from England for the wedding. Sure enough we headed there for the start of his bucks night.

I've heard from a mate of mine that there are something on the order of 70 pubs in - and within stumbling distance of - Adelaide City. He had grand visions of the longest pub crawl in Adelaide (yes, I've seen the international one) that involved visiting all of them on foot over the course of a couple of days (hotels or park benches for sleeping, various food outlets for eating, etc). This vision was so elaborate as to involve a sober 'spotter' for each participant to ensure they get from venue to venue alive, or to call for help if the need should arise - hey, it was a good couple of days of solid drinking. Never did happen. Then again, who actually wants to 'plan' to go to the cranker? :rolleyes:

In terms of atmosphere, you just cannot (really, cannot!) go past The Tap Inn - Kent Town. As the name suggests, Golf themed - Mulligans Bar, The Sand Trap Front Bar, Birdies Restaurant. Novelties include driving range, urinals facing said driving range with a window to watch approaching balls (there's a target on the driving range side), and unisex toilets with those fancy electrically operated opaque doors. Great food, various beers, and a bucket of golf balls. Top that!

Come by my joint with that 180 bucks you won and I'll show you how to get to the kings head :party: :party:

Coopers Alehouse (Earl of Aberdeen) on Carrington St/Pulteney St is not bad... got Vintage on tap and they serve a schnitzel big enough to feed a standard family of four for under $20. I can just squeeze one in though :D

it's on tap at the Lord Dudley in Woolahra apparently according to Good Living 2 weeks ago.

sorry for the hijack

jez

I find it very hard to believe that a city that ahs a church and pub on every corner you would be hard up to find somewhere to pull up a stool?

Chappo

Top that!

The Wheaty tops that by a very wide margin.

Archers on O'Connell street had Alpha Pale on tap last time I was there so may be worth a visit. The German Club is still a good spot and has some decent beers.

The Scenic at Norton Summit is a nice spot and while you are up that way you can also visit the Aldgate Pump and drop into Hahndorf. They are kind of in the same general direction.

Or just ignore all the rest and head to the Wheaty every time like I do. It really is the best pub around.

The Wheaty tops that by a very wide margin.
The fantastic beer (and other beverage) selection, and Jade's astonishing beer knowledge aside, 'no kitchen' is a bit of a dealbreaker in terms of being a better pub. The food at The Tap Inn is not only existent, but delicious.

Plus... Driving Range. Once more; Indoor Frickin' Driving Range.

The mars bar
the pavilion on the park
The green dragon
I havent been but I hear its a gay old time.
:lol: Greg

The fantastic beer (and other beverage) selection, and Jade's astonishing beer knowledge aside, 'no kitchen' is a bit of a dealbreaker in terms of being a better pub. The food at The Tap Inn is not only existent, but delicious.

Plus... Driving Range. Once more; Indoor Frickin' Driving Range.

Better chance of picking up too... ;)

Well in the OP, HK1 asked for pubs, Peas and Corn gave a good list that included some good bars. So will need to know if it is just pubs you want. Here's a list within the city mile, could be a departing pub crawl in the making. Not all of them but ones worth a mention.
Duke of Brunswick - normally one from the steam exchange
Rob Roy - Fat Yak
Saracens Head - Have had Golden Ale and Coopers Vintage in the past, but only Coppers stout besides the main stream ATM
Kings Head - lots of SA micro as already mentioned
Crown and Sceptre - only Coopers but a great pub
Bull and Bear - used to have Organic Ale, but have not been there for a while
Electric light - used to have Golden Ale (I think)
The Wakefield - (same guys as the Duke of Brunswick) but not sure whats on tap
Brecknock - Guinness
The Elephant and Wheelbarrow - must be something different on tap

Others worth a drink but the usual line up on tap.
Astor
Arab Stead
Havelock
Botanic
Exeter
Austral
Stag
Jade Monkey
Worlds End
Coopers Ale House
Historian
The Flagstaff

Not pubs but good drinking spots:
Dragon Fly
Apothecary
Farina
First
Lotus lounge
La Boheme
Chesser Cellars
Wine under ground

I might hit the tap inn tomorow, haven't been before but it does look pretty damn good but beer wise is there anything beyond the norm? I mean theres a great deal of pubs with a bunch of taps the length of the bar but generally every tap in those places serves nothing you can't find everywhere else.
But looking at their website it looks a better place then most to drink coopers in.
Whats the deal with putting your wine list on your site when you look like that, I mean everyone knows your gunna have some good wine, I'd hate to get there and find there tap beers only stretch as far as stella and becks.

Back