10% Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a recipe on the other day... Belgian Dark Strong Ale... I calculate itll come out as 9.9%
Try this one out for your mate,

23L batch
3kg Coopers Amber Malt
1kg Dark Dry Malt
1kg Light Dry Malt
0.25 Crystal Grain
0.25 Vienna Grain
1kg Dextrose
40g Saaz @60
20g Tettnanger @60
10g Saaz @15
Yeast Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

I used the Kit___Extract_Beer_Designer_V1.3.xlsx for the recipe and it gave the following figures;
OG 1.093
FG 1.021
IBU 28.1
EBC 42.9
9.9% in the bottle

Ive done a stepped fermentation, adding half the DME on day 1 and 3 then the 1kg Dextrose on day 5.

or if your only into K&K

Hangover madness
muntons nut brown ale
500g black fern unhopped wheat malt
500g coopers amber malt
1kg LDME
1.5kg morgans unhopped extra pale malt extract
500g belgian candy sugar
10g hersbrucker hops
10g styrian
23L
22g T-58 yeast
SG 1074, FG 1018
9.5%

if you up the malt you need to up the hops to balance it out.

another belgian style one

belgian ale 1.7kg tin
thomas coopers wheat malt extract 1kg tin
morgans unhopped pale malt extract 1kg tin
coopers be2 250g bag
dex 400g
plain sugar 100g
400g light crystal malt (steeped for 1/2hr)
30g styrian goldings (boil for 1/2hr)
T58 dried yeast

og 1088, FG 1023

now you could easily crank up the sugar, dex, and or malt on this and chuck some more hops in and it should turn out ok

I admit that I havent brewed these recipies, but Im looking at them thinking... Mmmm... :)

And Tropical Brews, you dont have to drink them all in one night! ;)

I really dont get the negativity in this thread.
10% beers, while not common in Australia, are a valid style of beer.

My negativity is towards the crap me and my mate made. We drank it anyway.

I recall one small pub in the countryside of Devon, England, which had its own brews on tap as well as the commercial stuff. One such brew was a dark heavy ale in excess of 9% which they called 'Bollock Twanger'. English pubs were not, and are still not (as far as I know) governed by the same draconian excise laws as in this country. More alcohol content = more tax, so even small breweries have to keep alcohol content low to keep their product competitive. I would say this is a major reason as to why we are conditioned into believing a beer with 5% alcohol is 'heavy' (or even less - check the side of the next Yarra water variety you have the misfortune to drink).

I've never had a beer over 6% that I'd drink in preferance to one under 6%. But that's just me. I don't like under 3% beer either. I don't think the flavour profile of beer is good at holding high alcohol levels as well as other drinks ... and it seems the beer-drinkers of the world agree, beer is best at 4-6%.

But the 3kg of sugar K&3Ks I made as a broke Uni student mught have put me off a little...

The Barley Wine looks an interesting mix.

Wonder if the liver would survive for long if that is a 23L batch.

Mate, I know you're in Cairns but ffs don't keg it and drink it from pint pots :D

When I was growing up in the North of England, barleywines were treated as a one off drink.
If you were thirsty you had a pint of bitter, the barleywine was more to savor, like a good brandy.

I'd be interested to try a good barleywine recipe, might do some research and add it to the summer brew list.

I seem to remember a commercial barleywine I had was 12%, but then, I was looking at the bottle after I'd finished it.

Mate, I know you're in Cairns but ffs don't keg it and drink it from pint pots :D

When I was growing up in the North of England, barleywines were treated as a one off drink.
If you were thirsty you had a pint of bitter, the barleywine was more to savor, like a good brandy.

I'd be interested to try a good barleywine recipe, might do some research and add it to the summer brew list.

I seem to remember a commercial barleywine I had was 12%, but then, I was looking at the bottle after I'd finished it.

Don't worry our Mam used to give us Whitbread Gold Label BW and Mackeson when we were nippers to keep us quiet. And you know how small the bottles are.
But 23l would need a hell of a lot of small bottles drinking a 750ml would be a stagger home.
Trouble is if you produce a really good brew it is always good to drink another to see if it is as good as the last one and then may as well have another to see....... :beerbang:

Thinking on doing a smaller batch sometime when I see a recipe that catches the imagination.

Ive done a stepped fermentation, adding half the DME on day 1 and 3 then the 1kg Dextrose on day 5.

Thats interesting. Never heard of that before. Where do you get that from?
Cheers
Steve

But 23l would need a hell of a lot of small bottles drinking a 750ml would be a stagger home.

Not neccessarily, ive got a bottle of cab sav here im drinking a glass of right now & that's 13.5%. Now I can drink a bottle of wine with dinner over a few hours without getting plastered.

Not neccessarily, ive got a bottle of cab sav here im drinking a glass of right now & that's 13.5%. Now I can drink a bottle of wine with dinner over a few hours without getting plastered.

O.K. slight exaggeration but you get the gist Barley Wine is usually drunk in small quantities due to the powerful flavours but it is easy to get carried away when you have a big supply.

Just ask the 14 year old girls on alcopops :icon_offtopic: comotose in the gutters.

My negativity is towards the crap me and my mate made. We drank it anyway.
:icon_offtopic: I wasn't targetting you specifically, but it just strikes me as odd, that so many of the brewers on this forum equate 6%+ brews with rocket fuel piss heads.
I really only got into brewing AG because it was too expensive and too hard to get ahold of the 7%+ beers that i prefer to drink.
I love the flavor and mouth feel of 8% beers.
I have myself one longneck of this kinda beer a night, and Ive still had less booze than someone who has three schooners of APA.
:)

I didn't mind Skol super Lager 9%? :icon_drunk: and ive been thinking a Coopers etc lager two can with dex750g? and LDME750g? would be.......nice :lol:

I didn't mind Skol super Lager 9%? :icon_drunk: and ive been thinking a Coopers etc lager two can with dex750g? and LDME750g? would be.......nice :lol:
I love that stuff. Four cans and you are crawling around ... real tramp beer .. but it's disappeared from 1st Choice Morayfield, although that's bogan territory and they may stock it elsewhere, although having said that most of Brisbane is bogan territory. I found that the couple of straight Coopers Lager Toucans I made were reminiscent of the flavour of Skol and I've wondered about nudging it up to 7 percent, with a kilo of sugar and half a kilo of LDME however I think at 9% they would turn out a bit sickly. Here's a thought, a THREECAN of Coopers lager might hold up a bit better, plus a kilo of inverted sugar............hmmmmmm

Of course we are starting to talk about a thirty five dollar brew but heck you get the value back in the form of ethanol I suppose.

LOL a three cans going a bit far.....two can and 1kg of dex 500g LDME then :)

What amount of the world's beer is produced with an alcohol content of between 4 and 6%? My guess is > 75% ... possibly 90%.
I reckon that might be a fair guess, and I agree that lager/pilsner is best between the 4-6% range.
But we're talkin' ales, man, ALES! :icon_cheers:

Standard practice for high alc beers, particularly belgians.

My last 2 Belgians made from kits&bitz both had incremental feeds. I think it is a good strategy as if you just bung all the sugaz in the boil then the (theory) is that the yeast doesn't work on the malts, it just goes straight for the easy stuff like dex and candi sugar as it's easier to convert.

It sounds like it makes sense and I would say the alc is more balanced than in the past when I just turf all the sugaz/candi into the initial boil.

yeah I just put down a tripel. but I was pretty strictly following a recipe that said to just do it all in one hit. Next time I'll do the incremental thing and see the difference :)

Latest posts

Back