10% Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you'd rather drink anything CUB over Duval which is 8%?

Devil's beer! Let's keep this in perspective - if Duval was also made at 5.5% (not 8.5), I'd preferentially buy the 5.5% version. I don't like the primary flavour of a beer to be alcohol. Most of the world's beer drinkers agree - it's the reason beer isn't 10%...

Is it that complicated? Shall I explain it again? ;)

nah its cool. i was drawing a long bow there for an analogue. horses for courses. Or one of my favourites

De gustibus non est disputandum - Latin meaning "there is no disputing about tastes

FWIW

The high alcohol beers are great because you can turn your back on them and savour them next year :) One reason I really love them is for this attribute. As I keep many of my red wines for beyond a decade I find it rather easy to throw a few bottles of high-octane ale in to keep them company.

Personally I generally gravitate to higher alocohol beers as I find these more flavoursome but... come summer, you want a lower alcohol content, cleaner, crisper style of beer than the big ales I usually prefer. I suspect my pallet is not as sensative as those who can truly appreciate all the subtle nuances of a well manufactured pilsener (for example) so look for something easier to taste and I suspect also that those big, bold and robust beers I and like minded individuals prefer are in fact too bold for those with more sensative taste buds who gravitate to leaner beer styles. As mentioned above 'horses for courses'.

A "good" barley wine, while high alcohol, will be balanced and as mentioned elsewhere is a beer for savouring rather than sessional consumption. Ditto the big Belgian ales. Anybody tried "Murray's Craft Brewing Co." 'Gran Cru' ? A delightful surprise at 8.8% and currently my barley wine benchmark!!!

Most of the Polish pilsener / lager beers start at 6% and rise toward 10 but mostly you wouldn't know it if you didn't read the label and these are pretty easy drinking beers!

take care

Back