Your House Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it a few weeks in the keg before you tap it and let the flavours settle. It might sound a bit extreme in the bitterness dept, but those Golden Naked oats give it a slick/smoothness that takes any edge off it.

I must still be waking up cos I read that as Golden Naked GOATS :(

HC

Mine is also an APA, so SWMBO continues to finance the brewery.
Although I am now doing partial mashes, here is my extract version

2 cans light malt extract (Coopers)
500g dextrose
20g Amarillo @60min
20g Perle @20min
20g Cascade @5min
(aim for about 30IBU)
Fermented at 18C with S-04 (so it keeps a bit of "old world" flavour in it) for 7 days
Conditioned in secondary for 2 weeks.

Best complement this one got was "it tastes like beer you buy".

My house brews are based on my taps:

The English Bitter tap currently St Bart's Bitter, original brew some 2 years ago blessed by the Parish Priest. Has to be on tap 'cos we never know when he might drop in for a cold one! Also for IPAs and ESBs
The APA tap currently Bang Shang Alang - a LCBA clone. Some colour and hop variation from brew to brew just because I can.
The Nitro tap - in winter it's either an Oatmeal Stout or Who Killed Kenny, in summer it's probably a Boddington's clone I call St Bart's Pub Ale.
The Pils/Lager tap currently empty - it takes so long to make a good Pils or Lager, I'm always running out.
The Water tap - always Pellegringo - a Mineral water recipe based on the mineral concentrations on the Pellegrino label. My token gesture to responsible drinking.
The final tap rotates ambers, browns, porters and the expereimentals.

Choices ... that's what home brewing is all about!

Cheers
ghhb

snip... AIPA malt bill from Mikkeller's single hop series which is a cracker. It's strong though, so it takes me a while to get through a keg - but I don't complain because it means there's usually one ready to pour!

Recipe is this:

66% BB Ale
11% Caramalt
11% Munich I
11% Simpson Golden Naked Oats (I much prefer these to flaked oats called for in the original recipe)

OG 1.066 - 1.014-15 6.5% usually with 1272

snip...

Give it a few weeks in the keg before you tap it and let the flavours settle. It might sound a bit extreme in the bitterness dept, but those Golden Naked oats give it a slick/smoothness that takes any edge off it.

I've got the second keg of this on at the moment with a combo of chinook/cascade/amarillo to 100IBU, also with the Naked oats as you suggested. The second keg of the double batch is miles ahead in quality compared to the first. A really notable difference, so much better. The flavours have all come together beautifully. Thanks again for the recommendation for the sub. Next IPA will be a single variety NZ hop i think using the same bill.

1. Mooloo Bitter

2. Screwys Red Ale

Recipes in the DB

Screwy

if that guy ever pulls his finger out and fires some up :)

QldKev
Ok, bought a pressure cooker on Tuesday ! Progress so far: a nice Irish Stew :rolleyes:

My house beer is my Yorkshire Gold. Currently have a double batch in cold conditioning.
The other two taps could be just about anything, Red, Chinese Lager, etc etc.

Yorkshire Gold 2
English Special bitter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.450
Total Hops (g): 100.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.31 %
Colour (SRM): 5.6 (EBC): 11.0
Bitterness (IBU): 32.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.750 kg Pale Malt Perle Bairds (87.16%)
0.500 kg Polenta (9.17%)
0.200 kg Caramalt Barrett Burston (3.67%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50.0 g Challenger Ellerslie Pellet (4.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.1 g/L)
50.0 g Styrians Ellerslie Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (2.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

Rec
ipe Generated with BrewMate

I rarely brew the same thing... but keep coming back to this after requests from mates. Tamed down APA I guess.

90% Base malt (pils or Ale)
3% Wheat
2% Crystal
5% cane sugar

OG = 1.046

Northern brewer @ 60mins to 25 IBU
Flame out with 1 gram a litre of amarillo. Sometimes change this late addition to another hop or keg hop if i feel the need.

I've got the second keg of this on at the moment with a combo of chinook/cascade/amarillo to 100IBU, also with the Naked oats as you suggested. The second keg of the double batch is miles ahead in quality compared to the first. A really notable difference, so much better. The flavours have all come together beautifully. Thanks again for the recommendation for the sub. Next IPA will be a single variety NZ hop i think using the same bill.

Good on you - enjoy every drop!

Mmmmmm my house beer is probably going to sound boring but coopers pale ale clone is what I have one tap dedicated to, handy too when my mega swill mates come over.

Most people are probably going to say boring, but I have coopers pale ale clone always on one keg :)

Most people are probably going to say boring, but I have coopers pale ale clone always on one keg :)

Mmmmmm my house beer is probably going to sound boring but coopers pale ale clone is what I have one tap dedicated to, handy too when my mega swill mates come over.

Been giving the boring tap a nudge this afternoon? :) One of my taps is really boring. Its an aussie lager, for my dad. That coopers pale ale is a cracker recipe, i've always got some of it too. Like you said its great for when megaswilling mates come round, plus its nice and cheap (for when said mates come round :) )

I'm with you Beerswiller, Coopers Pale may sound boring but It would be my most brewed beer, so I guess it also classifies as my house beer. Little Creatures Pale also rates high on my most brewed list. That is why I run 3 taps, so I can have a main stayer and something different as well.

Drew

Yeah sorry about the double post, this bloody iPhone froze and I thought it cancelled my original post :(

+3 For Coopers Pale Clone. Looking to improve mine... but saying that.. I can't brew it quicker than I can drink it!

I don't have a beer that I continue to roll out - I like to think of it as being more interested in exploring rather than settling down (is this a marriage coping mechanism :ph34r: :p )
Anywho I do like to dedicate my three taps as one to citrus hops beer, one to earthy hops and one to nobel hops. Not that the beers need to be hop driven. Little while back it was APA, ESB and Oktoberfest soon to be AAA, Scot 70 & Wheat. (I'm cursed by always having multiple kegs run dry at once!!)

Mine's a Dark Mild, around 3.5% (although have been aiming a little lower lately)

Generally:

75% Maris Otter
8% Biscuit/Victory/Abbey Malt
7% Crystal/Cara Malts (CaraAroma and CaraRed are faves)
5% Dark or Roast malt (usually CaraFa II)
3% Choc or Pale Choc
2% Peated Malt (latest varients anyhow)

Is fairly subject to change depending on what I have on hand, but usually EKG, Fuggles and/or Styrians to around the 24IBU mark, mashing 68/69C, ferment with either Ringwood (Wyeast 1187), Whitbread (Wyeast 1099), although giving Wyeast 1469 a go this time :)

Cheers

Have done this 3 times now, (4th time was shit. subbed 1 kg of pils grain for white rice)

Wallaces House Lager #9

25L

5kg's Weyerman Pils
125g Wererman Caraamber
125g Weyerman Carapils

Mash: 55Deg for 20min, 66Deg 60min, 75-77Deg 15min.

15g POR @ 60mins
25g Hallertauer @ 20mins
8g POR @ 10mins
8g Hallertauer @ 10mins

WY2001 Pilsner Urquell @ 9 Deg. I let this go in my ferment fridge for 5 weeks before i started checking the gravity, the last week was CC'ing, gelatine fining and polyclaring.

2 months minimum in the bottle.

Its alot of hard work, but when you drink the end result i definetly say its worth it.

I try to have it available all the time, but it ties the fridge up for too long and takes a while to condition.

I think i might stick a tallie in the freezer now i think. Mmmmmmm......

Wallaces House Lager #9

I'm gonna try S-189 next with a slightly higher temp to try and get a quicker turn-around.

Mine's a Dark Mild, around 3.5% (although have been aiming a little lower lately)

Generally:

75% Maris Otter
8% Biscuit/Victory/Abbey Malt
7% Crystal/Cara Malts (CaraAroma and CaraRed are faves)
5% Dark or Roast malt (usually CaraFa II)
3% Choc or Pale Choc
2% Peated Malt (latest varients anyhow)

Is fairly subject to change depending on what I have on hand, but usually EKG, Fuggles and/or Styrians to around the 24IBU mark, mashing 68/69C, ferment with either Ringwood (Wyeast 1187), Whitbread (Wyeast 1099), although giving Wyeast 1469 a go this time :)

Cheers

And bloody yummy it is too!

Screwy

I always have some sort of belgian in a keg :blink: .... Wit, Saison - Tony's recipes are the go .......
Also have a citra or nelson ale as a standard now.
Cheers
BBB

Toohey old clones atm is the house beer. I am sure this will change to Lil creatures bright ale next year.

Back