Your House Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Thought i would start a thread about what everyone has as their "house" beer. I am drinking a keg of mine at the moment, of a recipe that i've been trying to tweak to where i think i want it to be. It's beautiful.

So tell us all about yours, put the recipe up if you like too. Thought it might make for some interesting reading to identify a favourite beer to the characters on here.

Mine's a Nelson Sauvin Ale.

I've called it My ANZAC Ale as it is Australian Malt and the NZ hops combination.

Mash at 65 for an hour
OG 1.050
IBU's 25 with no chill
US05 at 18c for a week.
Dry hop with 1g/lt.

It's luverly.....

I've got 2 house beers, don't have the exact recipes handy

Aussie Gold 3.36%
BB Ale base, some Caramunich and wheat
POR bittering to 27IBU
Cluster at 15 (about .75g / L)
either US-05, or more lately S-189 which is really great

MIDAPA 3.5%
50% BB Ale
50% Munich II
Cascade hop schedule, lots of them, once again quite bitter; at least 1g/L french pressed into keg
US-05 (also tried 1272 and S-189, but prefer US-05)

QldKev

I dont really have one, but have done 3 batches of TTLL clone and plan to do another so its fair to say thats it!

97% MO
3% Caraaroma
EGK, Fuggles and Styrians to 32IBU
1469 or Ringwood

:icon_drool2:

I doubt many will be surprised to hear my golden ale and variants of it are my house beer.

I tweak it each time but the core grist (or at least the %s) remain the same. Rye now a standard, homegrown hops more often than not.

But i think a roggenbier may well become another house beer.

Funny how they both contain rye :icon_drool2:

Mine is a basic APA

4kg Base malt
750g Weyermann Light Munich
250 grams light-medium crystal

Hopped to 35 to 40IBU with

Horizon for bittering
Late additions are usually a single hop or combination of 2 American hops depending on what I have on hand.

Yeast is Wyeast 1272 Aerican Ale II

This gives a nice malty backbone from the Munich and I find this a good way to make changes to the hop combinations to find which I like and which I don't

I doubt many will be surprised to hear my golden ale and variants of it are my house beer.

I tweak it each time but the core grist (or at least the %s) remain the same. Rye now a standard, homegrown hops more often than not.

But i think a roggenbier may well become another house beer.

Funny how they both contain rye :icon_drool2:

Got a recipe for your roggenbier? I recently bought a half bag of Rye in a bulk grain buy and was looking at making one...

House beer is generally an APA, based on Neill's Centenarillo

My house beer(s) is either one of 2... LFPA or a TTLL same as .D.J. (i've named mine 97-3 ESB) at varying strengths from 4.2% to 5.7%. Tend to have either or both of these on rotation at most times. At the moment the strong TTLL is on.

I do a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone as my house beer. Got it off this site ages ago and tweaked slightly

22L Batch

4.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.4 kg Weyermann Carared
0.3 kg Weyermann Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Pale Crystal

15g Magnum @ 60 mins
15g Pearle @ 30 mins
25g Cascade @ 10 mins
20g Cascade @ Cube
20g Cascade @ Dryhop

Comes out around 30ibus in beersmith, so i figure around 35 with the cube effect.

I have an immersion chiller to give this a go with next time i brew it.

Usually one of these in the rotation at some stage every few months, I only have 1 tap .

Chiswick Bitter or Evil Twin (recipe at bottom of the article & i sub Cascade for the amarillo , great combo Centenial & Cascade )

I usually have andrewQLD's CPA clone on hand.

But recently i've really been enjoying an aussie amber ale

4kg ale malt
.5kg munich II
.2 wheat malt
.25 amber malt
.1 crystal

POR @ 45mins (29 IBUs)

OG 1045

Coopers yeast

I made another one a few weeks ago with EKG all the way through, can't wait to ferment it. Just gotta stop being lazy and reculture some coopers yeast :) Or i might be putting some 1469 onto it.

If "house beer" means beer that is always available, Saison. I've only been brewing about 5 years, so I'm still exploring the design space, so I rarely brew the (more or less) same thing twice, the exception being Saison.

T.

Got a recipe for your roggenbier? I recently bought a half bag of Rye in a bulk grain buy and was looking at making one...

Rye Malt (Weyermann) 56 %
Munich II (Weyermann) 37.5 %
Caramel Rye (Weyermann) 4.5 %
Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) 2 %
Bitter to 18-20 IBU, perle is my standard but the one currently in primary used magnum (GER).
I'm using the whitelabs yeast WLP300 but your favourite wheat yeast would do the trick.

OG 1.050 aiming for an FG of 1.012/3

Mash low and long. I do 10 mins at 52C then infuse/decoct to 63C for 90 mins. 1/2kg of rice hulls per 20L batch and sparging is easy.

Usually one of these in the rotation at some stage every few months, I only have 1 tap .

Chiswick Bitter or Evil Twin (recipe at bottom of the article & i sub Cascade for the amarillo , great combo Centenial & Cascade )

That Chiswick Bitter looks great, will do this next, thanks for the link Lagers44

Don't have a house regular as i have to many favorites and like to rotate around

Rook

I take it you use some sort of heat belt with controller? I'm looking doing that as I'm sick of only having it on tap once a year. Its currently on tap now and I'm only a few minutes up the road from you. Would be interesting to compare them. I use the Belgian strain.

If "house beer" means beer that is always available, Saison. I've only been brewing about 5 years, so I'm still exploring the design space, so I rarely brew the (more or less) same thing twice, the exception being Saison.

T.

Yes, I have a heat pad and a controller. Also, because I have no fridge, Saison is one of the few things I can brew between November and March. :)

T.

I was making a solid run of "Escape Artist" ales (so named because they seem to disappear from the kegs) that was extremely close to the good DrS's Golden Ale malt bill with a different hop each time. I haven't made one in a while though, as I seem to have migrated to a run of "Face Slappers" - AIPA malt bill from Mikkeller's single hop series which is a cracker. It's strong though, so it takes me a while to get through a keg - but I don't complain because it means there's usually one ready to pour!

Recipe is this:

66% BB Ale
11% Caramalt
11% Munich I
11% Simpson Golden Naked Oats (I much prefer these to flaked oats called for in the original recipe)

OG 1.066 - 1.014-15 6.5% usually with 1272

For the hops I use two 90g packages to keep it simple - US or NZ pungent hops. Either a single variety or two varieties mixed evenly. If the mix is over 10% AA I use 45g at 60 minutes, 90g at 15 minutes and 45g keg hopped. If the mix is below 10%AA I do 75g 60 minutes, 75g 15 minutes and 30g keg hopped. Needs to be 80+ IBU. Best combos so far are all Chinook, and Nelson Sauvin with Cascade (Imperial Yak!)

Give it a few weeks in the keg before you tap it and let the flavours settle. It might sound a bit extreme in the bitterness dept, but those Golden Naked oats give it a slick/smoothness that takes any edge off it.

saison as well. in winter i make pilseners with the same wort. usually 4kg of weyermann pils, and 40-50 IBU of whatever noble hops i feel like.

Lately Saison but Belgian Pale Ale is often on tap.

Back