Yet Another Cube Question..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flano

Reaction score
I do the old 19 ltr pot AG BIAB style beers.
I have a couple of empty 15 ltr cubes. ex brewers selection fresh wort kit containers.

when I finished my boil I have about 12 ltrs I reckon.

I did this - boiled another pot of fresh water alongside boiling wort pot.
There was not enough wort to fill the empty cube and there would be a lot of air to try and squeeze out.
So when I filled the cube I did it bit by bit with wort and boiled water until all wort was added and cube was full to the top with virtually no air to sueeze out.

When I put it into the fermenter I am assuming if I add enough water to get to the normal level it will be ok. approx eg 7 ltrs-ish

I haven't started to ferment it yet.

Is there any reason for this to not work? ( apart from sterilization probs )

here is a pic showing pot on right with wand element boiling wort and pot of water on left boiling on gas burner ..note green bucket.

oh and BBQ is not on...it is just a handy spot to put things.

twopot.jpg

People often top up with boiled water, no harm there. Why not do a sparge and boil that instead of water on the side?

I did this a few times when I did smaller boils and cubed in 15lt ones. No real reason why it wouldn't work and worked fine for me.

As long as you're not over diluting

I added around 4L of water to a wort the other day to replace what I had lost to trub, etc.

For this reason I often calculate a much higher starting gravity when building the recipe. For memory, this water addition dropped about 10 points off the hydrometer which gave me a wort @ 1048 and just where i like it.

I wouldn't fuss over trying to make 23L..... 20L of wort would be a good enough starting point. (and often the volume i brew at)

If your starting gravity is a little low with all the water additions just add a little LDME, that's better than drinking beer with only 2% alc!

:icon_cheers:

cheers .

I will do 20 ltrs

thanks

I've gone as low as 18L, quality or quantity is the question!

I often do small batches. It may be more work but the more frequently your brewing the better you get to know your ingrediants....so many combinations with so little time. :drinks:

This was my first cube.
I usually just cool the wort and ferment... But I had some spare time.

20 litre batches are fine by me .
Enough to fill a keg ... Sweet.

I BIAB in a 19L pot, and fill a 15L cube (which holds 16.2L full to the brim) then top up to 18L. Why 18? Well, it just works for milk crates x 500ml bottles = 3 milk crates give or take.

Latest posts

Back