Yet Another "can I Bottle It Now?" Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironxmortlock

Reaction score
I'm aware of the "if it's had a steady SG for three days straight, it's ready to bottle" rule but I figured it's better to check in and be safe.

I've made a Cooper's IPA. I used the Cooper's BE2, Safale S04 yeast and put in a Morgans hop bag.

OG was 1040 when I mixed everything on 6th of June.

After two days it was bubbling away nicely but then we had some rain here in Brisbane and the temperature dropped rapidly afterwards (down to about 14 degrees in the fermenter). On the 9th or 10th I moved it inside and it's been at a pretty consistent 18 degrees since then.

The bubbling never truly got cranking again though. It's now bubbling once every 45-50secs or so.

On the 12th SG was 1018
On the 14th SG was 1015
and today, the 15th it's 1015.

So if the SG is 1015 tomorrow, will it be safe to bottle even with such a high FG?

Also, with high FG's is it wise to less sugar when priming the bottles?

Thank you,

M
:beer:

I'd take an extra reading or two to be certain but it sounds like you're ready to bottle, my friend!

Don't worry about the higher FG. I find the hydrometers fairly inaccurate. Temperature can affect the reading, and I believe the distribution of sugars in the wort isn't necessarily 100% even either. The BE2 contains maltodextrin which is unfermentable which will raise the gravity a bit too.

i've got a brew in a similar situation but i think it's best and be patient, another week in the fermenter won't hurt it.

I'm aware of the "if it's had a steady SG for three days straight, it's ready to bottle" rule but I figured it's better to check in and be safe.

I've made a Cooper's IPA. I used the Cooper's BE2, Safale S04 yeast and put in a Morgans hop bag.

OG was 1040 when I mixed everything on 6th of June.

After two days it was bubbling away nicely but then we had some rain here in Brisbane and the temperature dropped rapidly afterwards (down to about 14 degrees in the fermenter). On the 9th or 10th I moved it inside and it's been at a pretty consistent 18 degrees since then.

The bubbling never truly got cranking again though. It's now bubbling once every 45-50secs or so.

On the 12th SG was 1018
On the 14th SG was 1015
and today, the 15th it's 1015.

So if the SG is 1015 tomorrow, will it be safe to bottle even with such a high FG?

Also, with high FG's is it wise to less sugar when priming the bottles?

Thank you,

M
:beer:

I got the same problemwith my black rock apple cider, its has been in fermenter since the 7th of june and still bubling every 30 secs or so. the gravity has bee 1010 for 3 days straight now and im wondering if i should put it in a cube ready for keging?? the temp has been at 18 to 10 deg the whole time???

Everything moves much slower at this time of year with the cooler temperatures (except for you lucky Far Northerners :rolleyes: ). So I'm with Enerjex, if you're not sure if it's done, just wait. :p

Thanks for the responses. :beer:

I was planning on bottling today but I just took another reading (17th of June) and it's now at 1014. So in the past two days the SG has changed by 1. Bubbling through the airlock now occurs once every 80secs.

I really want to bottle it today as I've got the whole day free but does this small change in SG mean that fermentation isn't complete?

Thanks for the responses. :beer:

I was planning on bottling today but I just took another reading (17th of June) and it's now at 1014. So in the past two days the SG has changed by 1. Bubbling through the airlock now occurs once every 80secs.

I really want to bottle it today as I've got the whole day free but does this small change in SG mean that fermentation isn't complete?

I agree with Enerjex and shuster,
I have just kegged a stout today that has been in the fermenter since the 25th may and it was static on the SG reading for 7 days. Also it iss not unusual for me to leave a brew for a week (sometimes more) in the fermenter after the airlock has stopped working.
Also in view of you saying that ther sg has dropped a point overnight and the airlock is still working (albeit slowly) I would probably wait a bit longer ( for what its worth, that my 2 cents).
Cheers and BREW ON :super:

I agree with Enerjex and shuster,
I have just kegged a stout today that has been in the fermenter since the 25th may and it was static on the SG reading for 7 days. Also it iss not unusual for me to leave a brew for a week (sometimes more) in the fermenter after the airlock has stopped working.
Also in view of you saying that ther sg has dropped a point overnight and the airlock is still working (albeit slowly) I would probably wait a bit longer ( for what its worth, that my 2 cents).
Cheers and BREW ON :super:

Yeah, I guess it's best to be patient. This is just throwing out my plans of having a constant supply of my own homebrew for drinking. Looks like I might have to get another fermenter if I am to keep pace with the amount of beer I drink. :chug:

This brew has been fermenting for two weeks now and it's still going, albeit very slowly. Today's SG reading was 1012 so something is still going on in there. The good news is that I reckon the taste of the wort has been improving so hopefully the extra wait will be worth it.

Take any more readings and there'll be nothing left to bottle :p

Do yourself a favour and buy another fermenter..and then another...and then another....it doesnt stop

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back