Expected FG for Cooper's Inkeeper's Daughter (Sparkling Ale)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteru

Here, taste this!
Reaction score
I was in a hurry to get a brew done on a school night because I had a yeast starter ready to go. The starter used the supplied Copper's yeast in 1.5L of unhopped wort. The starter was originally 1.030, made up with DME and has been spinning on my brand new Yeast Forge at 18C for the previous 28 hours.

With kids in bed, I grabbed a can of Innkeeper's Daughter and a can of Cooper's light malt. Made it up to about 20L at 18C. Once I pitched the yeast starter, I went to bed, without taking the SG reading.

Fermentation was quick, nice krausen the next morning (maybe 8 hours later) and the entire fermentation was over in about 3-4 days at 18-20C. SG readings on days 4 and 5 gave me a steady FG of 1.020. Is that a bit on the high side?

I kegged it last night and it's chilled to 8C now, sitting at around 25 psi waiting to carb. Initial taste tests definitely gets a thumbs up, even though it's still a bit flat. A slight hint of sulphur, which I expect will dissipate over the next week or two as it conditions.

Is the FG of 1.020 right or are others hitting a lower FG? I was expecting closer to 1.010, but I'm not complaining about the flavour. I don't think I had a stuck fermentation, but even if I did, I'm safe with it in a fridged keg.

I would have expected a FG of about 1.013 however as kegged and not bottled you should not have any major issues. You stated fermentation was over in 3-4 days, that's too early for me. How long in the fermenter before kegging? I leave for 14 days, this ensures good fermentation and "clean up" by the yeast.
Cheers

Total time in fermenter was 8 days.

The big starter worked a treat. Big thumbs up to Yeast Forge.

I think I read somewhere that big starters can lead to fast ferments that in some cases may result in less attenuation. Maybe my FG is a bit on the high side due to that?

Latest posts

Back