Yeasts - Ale And Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuzzy

Reaction score
I had a quick search, but could not find my answer, dumb question to those who know. I have been a kit brewer for a while and plan to go all grain next year after I nail down a few more things.

Finally got a temp controller for my brew fridge - time to play with better yeasts (better than the kit) and keep the slurry etc to resuse for a few brews.

I like Pale Ales so I am assuming I want US-05 for a yeast brewed at 18deg C?

And I like Gernman largers I am assuming W 34/70 for a yeast brewed at 12deg C?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Kuzzy

I had a quick search, but could not find my answer, dumb question to those who know. I have been a kit brewer for a while and plan to go all grain next year after I nail down a few more things.

Finally got a temp controller for my brew fridge - time to play with better yeasts (better than the kit) and keep the slurry etc to resuse for a few brews.

I like Pale Ales so I am assuming I want US-05 for a yeast brewed at 18deg C?

And I like Gernman largers I am assuming W 34/70 for a yeast brewed at 12deg C?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Kuzzy

Both those yeasts are great starting points now that you have temp control

The temps you have suggested will both work great with those yeasts and in fact, for an ultra "clean" beer you can go a coiple of degrees lower on the US05 and down to 9 on the 34/70. And both will still be lretty good a little higher too. The US05 isn't bad up to 21 and 34/70 is ok at 13 and maybe even 14.

Good luck, you'll find that temperature control really really makes a difference to the quality of your beer... More so than the move to AG in my opinion. I think youre doing the transition in the right order.

TB

didn't think it would make that much difference...

So, my next two brews will be Coopers Larger side by side (I have 2 fermentors) with no addons, just dex from Brigalow - nothing fancy (loving dry hopping at the moment but will take that variable out), one with kit yest no temp control - as per usual and the other with temp control and a good yeast.

14 days in primary for both, cube for a week crash chilled with a clearing agent then keged side by side.

I'll report back when done / drinking!

Cheers,

Kuzzy

Everytime i see someone spell it "larger" i think - "double batch"

wonder if i'm the only one.....

got a 60L fermentor comming - so yes, I think the same!

Everytime i see someone spell it "larger" i think - "double batch"

wonder if i'm the only one.....

spelling it larger instead of lager is probably the reason for the fruitless search as well.

didn't think it would make that much difference...

So, my next two brews will be Coopers Larger side by side (I have 2 fermentors) with no addons, just dex from Brigalow - nothing fancy (loving dry hopping at the moment but will take that variable out), one with kit yest no temp control - as per usual and the other with temp control and a good yeast.

14 days in primary for both, cube for a week crash chilled with a clearing agent then keged side by side.

I'll report back when done / drinking!

Cheers,

Kuzzy

You might need longer for the temperature controlled lager... Things go a lot slower when they are cold. 14 days should be enough, but you dont go by time, you go by whether its done or not.

I reckon with those yeasts kept at the temps you quoted you will be OK. I manage these temps seasonally with just PET ice bottles around my fermenter. By that I use lager yeasts in winter in my garage and manage to maintain 10-15 deg C and do ales in summer and maintain 18-22 deg C in a stifling, hot garage. For me temperature control has been a critical factor in making a successful brew. The improvement in the quality of the end product was significant once I got a good regime of temp control.

Edit: And +1 for thirstyboys post - long, cool and slow for lagers is the way to go.

Back