Yeastie Boys - Gunnamatta Tea-Leaf IPA clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.t2tea.com/shop/tea-2/scented-flavoured/black/earl-grey-royale/

Well this is what I bought. Hopefully it's the right stuff

This brew is next on my brew list once the fermentation fridge is freed up. I'm about to start cold conditioning another IPA so in a week and a half I'll be good to go.

+1 on where will you be in Melbourne. If mine turns out any good I'll bring a bottle along.

interesting concept, I've never heard of tea being used in beer before! I'd be keen to try it out sometime

According to this:

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1206/S00077/yeastie-boys-to-release-champion-tea-beer.htm

They use NZ company T Leaf T's "Early grey Blue Flower" tea (and they ship internationally!).

http://www.tleaft.co.nz/flavoured-black-tea/earl-grey-blue-flower-black-tea.html

This tea is fairly delicately florally flavoured. I think T2's French Earl Grey or the Earl Grey Royale would be a good substitute, I wouldn't use anything that has Bergamot Oil in it (like this one - http://kerikeritea.co.nz/shop/royal-earl-grey/), the oil is too overpowering.

Dilmah's Earl Grey would probably work quite well too :)

I'm going to try to brew a clone next week, probably with the T2 French Earl Grey because I have heaps on hand, I will let you know how it goes!

Cheers,
Nicole

Presuming you are reading a thread on brewing with tea because you are interested in doing so:

A good source of such things is Tea Leaves in the Yarra Valley: they have an "Earl Grey type" tea with cornflowers here.

Their quality is consistently good and their prices usually OK - I drink 2nd flush single garden Darjeeling tea almost exclusively and such things are often hard to find and expensive, they have two good ones (Castleton and Springside) for decent prices and a 2nd flush Darjeeling "vintage" blend which is also quite good.

Ok so I did a brew with this recipe:

Some random amount of water between 25 and 30 L

5.5 kgs Golden Promise Pale
.2 kg Cara-pils
.2 kg Cara-munich
.2 kg Pale wheat

mash @ 70 for 60 mins

Total boil 60 mins

30 g Pacific Jade - 60 mins
30 Pacific Jade - 45 mins
25 g Motueka - 10 mins
25 g Pacifica - 10 mins

(brew shop was out of Southern Cross)

us-05 yeast
og 1.037

Ferment about 2 weeks

dry hop 19 g pacifica (my notes say 3 days but I can't actually remember how long I dry hopped it for)
100 g "t2 earl grey blue flower" - 7 days

-----

I wasn't being very careful with my strike volume/sparging so ended up with about 28 L, which I should have probably boiled down a bit more because the beer is a bit thin and more of a session

I didn't bother racking, just dumped the hops and dry tea leaves right in the primary fermenter and crossed my fingers. I was worried the tea might have shit on it that would infect the beer but decided for best flavour I didn't want to boil/steep the tea and add MORE water since I had already used too much water. But it was all good! I let the tea steep about a week then bottled. Yes there are some bit of tea leaves in the bottled beer but it doesn't bother me :)

FG 1.009 (3.68 % ABV)

I really like this beer but we did a blind taste test comparison to the Yeastie Boys Gunnamatta and it was easy to tell which was which. This one is a lot more watery than theirs, but nice nevertheless for a session ale and went down really well amongst my librarian workmates :)

I am going to try brewing this one again but will use less water, maybe increase the mash time and just use loose leaf Dilmah Earl Grey because I have 12 kgs of it (yes I love Earl Grey).

Well FBs, am giving this a crack as the last one for the year before it gets too hot in front of kettles and cricket and end of the year engagements soak up the weekends.

am going to try a bit of a twist to this one and dump it on a MJ's M21 yeast cake, should leave a bit of sweetness and compliment the white IPA style to it i hope. also, BF and BS have this just under 6 ABV with this yeast, i am counting on a little residual action from the leaves to push it over the 6%.

have ordered the tea leaves from tealeaves.com.au looking forward to getting this one in the can so to speak and trying it out over the parching summer to come.

had to order the hops from kiwiland, getting them all from one place worked out cheaper. so fingers crossed the freight is gentle to the T 90s.

i will post the 'pie once i have all the ingredients.

Back