Yeastie Boys - Gunnamatta Tea-Leaf IPA clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeansBrew

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I had Yeastie Boys Gunamatta IPA on tap a couple of months ago and it blew me away, amazing blend of fruity NZ hops with the floral notes from the Earl Grey tea leaves. I'd love to have a go at a clone of this awesome beer.

From Yeastie Boys' website:

Beer geek stuff

Style

India Pale Ale "dry-leafed"

Stats

ABV 6.5%
Bitterness = 52 IBU
Colour = 9 SRM

Malt

Golden Promise Pale Malt, CaraPils, CaraMunich 60, Wheat Malt

Hops

Pacific Jade, Motueka, Pacifica, Southern Cross.

Tea

Earl Grey Blue Flower (t Leaf T)

Yeast

Fermentis US-05

http://www.yeastieboys.co.nz/beer/gunnamatta-ipa/

After a bit of mucking around on BeerSmith, I came up with a tentative recipe. Disclaimer: I am a complete newbie at All Grain Brewing (and Brewsmith for that matter).

--------------------------
Boil Size: 50.95 l
Post Boil Volume: 45.58 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l
Bottling Volume: 38.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 54.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amt Name Type %/IBU
11.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.0 %
0.45 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.7 %
0.45 kg Caramunich Malt (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.45 kg White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
30.00 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 20.9 IBUs
20.00 g Southern Cross [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.9 IBUs
13.50 g Pacific Jade [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 8.6 IBUs
13.50 g Southern Cross [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 8.6 IBUs
10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 1.4 IBUs
10.00 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 1.1 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -
15.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Pacifica [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Has anyone had a go at a Gunnamatta clone or does anyone wanna chime in on this recipe??

Cheers.

bconnery did one last year. From memory, he made an error weighing the grain, so it didn't have quite enough malt to balance out the tea, but tasted pretty good. I'm not sure if he ended up re-brewing it. If he doesn't chime in here, try PM'ing him.

Cheers,
tallie

Great beer and I am lucky to get these for $4 at the local bottle store. I would be interested if anyone gets close!
Earl Grey Blue Flower is available from time to time so keen as closer to next summer

Ya know funnily enough I was drinking a cup of T2's French Earl Grey today and thinking, "Damn, there's a nice floral hoppiness in that!" There are blue flowers in it but I don't know whether they are the same ones as in the Earl Grey Blue Flower

http://www.allabouttea.co.uk/earl-grey-blue-flowers

I'm guessing the T2 one would work at least for some trials though.

I love this beer !!

How much tea were you thinking of putting in to the brew ?
Also dry tea in fermenter or steeped tea ?

I did a rough test with fairly coarse earl grey tea leaves (not flowers like as mentioned above) in a nelson sauvin hopped pale ale i did a couple of months ago. I put 10g per L dry into a mesh hop bag in fermenter and left for 24 hours. Could easily bump it up, considering this IPA will have considerably more hops in it. I guess it depends if you want the Earl Grey to shine through or just sort of support the hops.

Anyone else have experience adding Earl Grey, or any other tea to beer?

So I brewed this yesterday with the above recipe, added a few more late boil additions though, and planning on adding more Motueka and Waimea in the fermenter.

I also managed to pick up some Earl Grey tea containing blue flowers from the vic markets on a recent trip to Melbourne.
I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Cheers

From Stu McKinley himself. Gunamatta was dry leafed with 4g/litre for 4 days after fermentation.

C&B
TDA

I got some info from Yeastie Boys but after much searching the term 'blue flower' isn't used much here that I could see.
You need one that has cornflower petals, which is what the blue flower appears to refer to, in it, which a lot of the good ones do...

I'd really recommend sticking with the 4 days mentioned above. I left mine in for around a week, not having that information, and it had a soapy character that took a long time to fade. It turned out very nice, although the tea character was also extremely dominant. Even after months in the keg it was still present.

I'll be attempting this again.

Stu from yeastie boys mentioned that I'd get something very close using the Digital IPA recipe, which is available online, as a starting point. Cutting the hopping down and the ABV and IBU as well.

Here's my recipe

Recipe: Ahipara IPA
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 26.00 l
Boil Size: 34.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5200.00 g Pale Malt, Golden Promise Floor Malted ( Grain 1 77.6 %
800.00 g Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 2 11.9 %
250.00 g Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
300.00 g Carapils (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
150.00 g Caramalt (Simpsons) (35.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12 -

35.00 g Pacific Jade [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 42.8 IBUs

20.00 g Pacifica [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.4 IBUs
10.00 g Southern Cross [11.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.0 IBUs

15.00 g Motueka [7.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Southern Cross [11.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Pacific Jade [15.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Pacifica [7.60 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

bconnery said:
I'll be attempting this again.
Did you ever get around to this? Anyone else attempted it with different hops? I only have Pacific Jade of that list and am reluctant to buy three lots of hops I don't normally use for one beer (although I would probably use the Motueka)

^ These are the actual hops used in this fine brew. As shown in the details in post #1. You could probably make a decent beer with other hops though. They would need to be relatively clean to let the tea leaf flavour be the star.

big78sam said:
Did you ever get around to this? Anyone else attempted it with different hops? I only have Pacific Jade of that list and am reluctant to buy three lots of hops I don't normally use for one beer (although I would probably use the Motueka)
I haven't brewed it again, it's still on the list though.
With regards to the hops I think you'd find them all pretty useful.
Southern Cross is a nice bittering hop for just about anything.
Pacifica is a hallertau variant and can be used anywhere you'd use german hops, or works nicely in a pale ale with other NZ hops.
Motueka is one of my favourite hops. Great in a pilsner, works in a saison, can be used for a pale very nicely too.

I have read on the English forum that they use the Lady Grey tea bags as dry hopping as this adds a citrus flavour.

OK I'm inspired to give this a go. Any ideas whether I should "dry hop" at fermentation temps or while cold conditioning?

If I remember right it was in the secondary, if you don't do secondary it would obviously in the primary, or if you are kegging it could work fine in the keg.
I had thought it a good idea but have yet to try it.

BeansBrew said:
Hi Guys,

So I had Yeastie Boys Gunamatta IPA on tap a couple of months ago and it blew me away, amazing blend of fruity NZ hops with the floral notes from the Earl Grey tea leaves. I'd love to have a go at a clone of this awesome beer....
Good effort on the recipe there. OG is only 1.060 (or a shade over occasionally) as the tea actually kicks off some extra fermentation... wild yeast, enzymes. I'm not sure. IBU 52.

4g/L is the correct ratio of tea and it is vitally important to get the best tea you can. Pay triple the price of your supermarket earl grey if you have to - that's as much earl grey as corona is beer. It's lemony, soapy, dull. A good earl grey should smell like a homegrown heirloom orange or tangelo. Rich oily orange notes. Memories of my childhood. Loose leaf is best but if you can get a really great earl grey in bags then it's simpler to keep tidy... so go for it.

Best wishes. We'll be in Adelaide and Melbourne in May. bring me your best homebrew!

Stu
Yeastie Boys
t: @yeastieboys
w: www.yeastieboys.co.nz

Latest posts

Back